What got you into cars?

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Saw this photo posted to Facebook and it got me thinking. There was a pretty good discussion going on in the thread too, so I figured why not ask here. What got you into cars and/or racing?

FB_IMG_1539646731986.jpeg

For me it's honestly the OG Fast and Furious. Watched it on a field trip in 8th grade and I wanted that green Eclipse. Was obsessed with them until I bought my first Mustang my Sophomore year. I only got the Mustang because 2G DSMs were too expensive at the time :rofl: so glad that happened.

Racing I got into because my brother used to like to tree people at stop lights in his n/a 3800 buick :rofl: someone eventually told us about the old McDonald's/Taco Bell meet in Gurnee so we went up there with first Caddy and he raced a Civic for $7 :rofl: I remember they pulled off before the race and jetted it up, as if they needed it. My bro launched in reverse and that was the end of it. Went back the following summer with my car and just kept going every summer because I was hooked. Ahh yes, the good ol days.

I'm sure this thread has been posted before, but maybe not. Besides it's as quiet as a church up in here. So what got you into cars?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Growing up watching Dukes of Hazzard, Kinght Rider, The Fall Guy, even Hardcastle and McCormick.

My dad's stories of his muscle cars in the 60s and 70s.

And the fact that I had a handful of Hotwheels with me at any given time.
Early trips to Volo and the autoshow.

I would help my dad clean the cars as far back as 3-4 years old. Looks where that got me :rofl:

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
My dad used to race back in the 60’s. I used to love looking at his trophies.
My dad would take me to the local drag strip back in the early to late 80’s.
Smokey and the Bandit
Dukes of Hazard
Knight Rider
Used to see a modified 1980 Trans Am rolling around my neighborhood when I was young.

That’s what got me into cars.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Im not sure if there ever was an a-ha moment for me, it just feels like its been in my DNA for as far back as I can remember. I still remember sitting on my floor for hours when I was a kid pushing matchbox cars around. I actually still have most of them in a duffle bag in my closet :rofl: Some of them were even my brothers when he was a kid.

As I got older the matchbox cars gave way to video games. Games like the revolutionary test drive 2 I used to play on my DOS Xerox computer :rofl:

test-drive-2-03.png

Once the PS1 came out that was it. Destruction Derby, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, my fate was sealed at that point.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Growing up watching Dukes of Hazzard, Kinght Rider, The Fall Guy, even Hardcastle and McCormick.

My dad's stories of his muscle cars in the 60s and 70s.

And the fact that I had a handful of Hotwheels with me at any given time.
Early trips to Volo and the autoshow.

I would help my dad clean the cars as far back as 3-4 years old. Looks where that got me :rofl:

Same as above.

My father had me under the car / helping him work on them when I was a little kid.

Ah - the days of a carb

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
There's a pic of my dad propping me up on the steering wheel of his 64 Vette when I was less than a year old. It's that car on which I learned to turn a wrench, drive stick, and appreciate all things automotive. He still has the car, too. Add in a healthy dose of pop culture - Dukes, Bandit, Herbie - video games - Gran Turismo, Test Drive, Need For Speed -- and an unhealthy obsession with collecting car magazines and, well, that's my story.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
my dad was a boat mechanic but did his own work on everything that needed work, as soon as I was old enough to get a mini bike I was addicted to going fast, my first car was a 75 malibu that me and my dad fixed up, once I graduated high school I bought a 98 regal gs and started modding it right away, after I felt the difference the parts I added made It quickly snowballed from there

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Hot wheels
Legos
Tools

Working on cars flipping insurance wrecks and building our lake cabin.

Olson Motto.

"Some monkey put this together I can fix it!"

Or

"Never pay someone to do something you can do with your own 2 hands!"

Growing up working on my own shitbox Wbody garbage cans some of my love for cars is also a hate out of necessity. I certianly didnt grow up silver platter. Blow up an engine gotta walk or put a new one in or rebuild it. Same thing with transmissions. And trust me there were alot of 4TFail glass trans swaps!!

That being said I truely appreciate the odd balls and built not bought crowd!!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
My dad used to race at U.S. 30 when I was a kid. I grew up in the back seat of a Grabber Green, '69 Mustang.

As a kid, working on cars with him were some of our best times together.

The love of all things automotive must have carried over a generation because my son drives a 6 speed turbo Focus ST.

iu
That’s a 71

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I don’t have a moment to which I can say got me into cars. I think it’s just in my DNA. My grandfather absolutely loved cars and would buy up, be given or wheel and deal for basically any car. My grand parents place still has probably 40 cars on the property in Wisconsin. I’ve always loved them and can’t just leave shit alone either.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think when I was younger, cars were always just "cool things". Then Grand Turismo came out and I really started to love racing, learning about cars, etc...My first car was a piece of shit Blazer but then my dad gave me his 3rd gen v6 firebird...I thought I was hot shit until it got wrecked. My dad surprised me with a immaculate 3rd gen Camaro. That was all it took.

[MENTION=7]IDAFC21[/MENTION] and me became obsessed with making our shitboxes unique and "fast". I tossed a cowl hood on the car b/c I had grand plans for a big motor, etc. I was young, and an idiot. But thats all it took. That fucking car. It was all over after that.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't thing there was an a-ha moment here either. Just always been into them.

Aside from all the 80's car shows mentioned, it was just enjouing mechanics of things... Starting small and taking apart lawn mower engines on the front room floor. :D My mother was beyond thrilled...

Matchbox cars, models, go-karts, you name it...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info