Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Waiting for the usual suspects to post how this is fine.

An estimated 100 MILLIONS sharks are killed a year. 100 million.

This article is from 2013 so who knows what the number is at now. The show Im watching just said 70 million...so maybe ocean policing is helping? Dunno.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...international-conference-on-shark-protection/

ONE OF THE most comprehensive studies ever compiled on illegal shark killing brings new startling statistics. An estimated 100 million sharks are killed every year around the world, a number that far exceeds what many populations need to recover.

The statistical report, compiled by researchers at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada, crunched numbers of reported shark catches globally and used data from nearly 100 former papers to estimate the number of unreported shark deaths every year. In a moving range, the researchers were able to calculate that between 6.4% and 7.9% of sharks of all species are killed annually.

To put that range in perspective, researchers analyzed life data from 62 shark species and found that only 4.9% of sharks can be killed each year to maintain population stability. Anything more than that threatens long term survival of species like the oceanic white tip, porbeagle and several kinds of hammerheads. What’s worse, sharks are considered uniquely vulnerable because they take long periods to mature and generally produce few young over their lifetimes.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Just watched a fishing boat capture 150 tons of tuna and a few other various fish.

I dont have a leg to stand on because I enjoy eating fish, meat, etc.....but fuck man. We need to do better with how we rape the ocean. We're not even giving many of these species enough time to reach maturity and procreate. Maddening.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Well, in international waters, where this fishing is taking place...theres no rules basically. We're just as guilty in situations like this one.

Fishing has become so high tech and so efficient, you can wipe out entire schools within an hour.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Problem is we do all this stuff for the environment in the us to reduce emissions and save animals, but over on the other side of the world they don’t give a fuck

And what little we save or change, another nation will pick up the slack and take. Which is why I laugh at the government thinking they can change anything when every other nation operates at full steam ahead with NFG.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Well, in international waters, where this fishing is taking place...theres no rules basically. We're just as guilty in situations like this one.

Fishing has become so high tech and so efficient, you can wipe out entire schools within an hour.

Government regulates what you bring in though. You can't bring fish into this country by any amount you want, and it all has to be approved and licensed.

Every other country, not so much.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Yum...

I wonder how many shrimp are harvested per year

Screenshot_20181010-175115_Chrome.jpeg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

So. Theoretically, if there are no rules, can't you build a bad ass boat with a big ass gun and blow the fuck out of the whaling vessels?

NM. I'm just being a smart ass.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
the chinese are getting wealthier and shark fin soup is a status thing. it's not even good but hey it's your birthday, invite your friends out, all have a bowl of expensive exotic shark fin soup to show how well you are doing. same with rhino horns, plenty of people know there's no real science behind any bs claims about their properties, but it's a culture/status thing to have a rhino horn.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info