Lets talk PONTIAC

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'd still buy one and not sweat it. Just saying. If they're licensed they'll be low volume and probably worth more. I don't think GM is going to bring em back, just saying. I mean they'd be stepping on the toes of the Camaro and the Corvette. It'd be a husk anyways, it's not like back in the 60s where PMD was a separate division competing with Chevy and the likes. If so it would likely be low run specialty cars I'd think. That said I would think the odds of it happening go up the more mature things like 3D printing get where you can reduce the production cost of a low volume car.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If Pontiac comes back, it would be a one-off heritage oddball model. It would cost an enormous amount of money for GM to bring the entire brand nameplate back for a single model.

As for the 5th/6th gen conversions? I'm not a fan of them, I haven't seen a single one I really liked. Can't see paying for two Camaro's to get one Firebird.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
If Pontiac comes back, it would be a one-off heritage oddball model. It would cost an enormous amount of money for GM to bring the entire brand nameplate back for a single model.

As for the 5th/6th gen conversions? I'm not a fan of them, I haven't seen a single one I really liked. Can't see paying for two Camaro's to get one Firebird.

That's why I said 3D printing may make it more practical in the long term. I think you could see the "pop up" model actually applied to cars at some point where they do a super low #s limited run.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Agreed that it will probably never come back and if we do see something wearing that badge, produced by GM, it will probably be some specialty/novelty low production model. Additionally, I don't want to see something that is an overdone throwback reinvention that can be done just as easily as a resto-mod or as the current "Firebirds" have been done. I'd rather see a dedicated model with an original modern design. The investment necessary to do that will likely never happen however.

Long live Pontiac!

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
First, Pontiac isn't coming back.

Second, I believe the Depot (or whatever the name is), only has a license (or rights to), the vehicle/name (Trans Am) they have created. NOT the brand itself. That is all GM and GM can don whatever they want with Pontiac, Grand Prix, Bonneville, Firebird, G8, GTO, etc....

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Pontiac died in ‘81...and with the huge POS 301 turbo. It was already on the way out when they started putting Olds motors in the TA. Only thing that saved the “brand” was Smokey and the bandit.

Pontiac tried to develop a special 4 cylinder for the Fiero back in the late eighties, but it never got in a production car, and never got much attention from racers

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm not directing this at you, so please understand that.

But that's the mentality as to why the old guys at shows like the cruisin' tigers and the new guys with modern day "Pontiac" stuff, even if it's "corporate GM stuff" can't get along and ultimately ends up hurting the hobby around "Pontiac's" in the long run.

Then they wonder why none of us are interested. Well the bulk of us anyway... I was in the crossover as I own a 60's Pontiac too, so I love both. But most of the guys I know with modern day F-Body's, GTP's, and new GTO's/G8's (especially in our CHC group), want nothing to do with them because they're tired of being insulted the minute they show up at events.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Pontiac died in ‘81...and with the huge POS 301 turbo. It was already on the way out when they started putting Olds motors in the TA. Only thing that saved the “brand” was Smokey and the bandit.

Pontiac tried to develop a special 4 cylinder for the Fiero back in the late eighties, but it never got in a production car, and never got much attention from racers

Less a special 4 cylinder and more like off the shelf parts developed for the GM Performance Parts program.

They made the iron duke produce some pretty good numbers for the day. They got the duke up to 100hp/Liter naturally aspirated.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0gyQbgYjXzfOWstRWs4SFpNcTA

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel

But that's the mentality as to why the old guys at shows like the cruisin' tigers and the new guys with modern day "Pontiac" stuff, even if it's "corporate GM stuff" can't get along and ultimately ends up hurting the hobby around "Pontiac's" in the long run.

Then they wonder why none of us are interested. Well the bulk of us anyway... I was in the crossover as I own a 60's Pontiac too, so I love both. But most of the guys I know with modern day F-Body's, GTP's, and new GTO's/G8's (especially in our CHC group), want nothing to do with them because they're tired of being insulted the minute they show up at events.

I get that, but I grew up around 70’s Pontiac’s and in the early 80’s you could tell GM gave up on making any of the brands unique. The closest was the GN and the Fiero. I liked my GTP, but I never thought of it as a Pontiac...more of a w-body.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

The 301 was extremes taken too far tbh. If they made it as a short deck Pontiac and stuck some decent rods in without weakening a ton of stuff I would take one over a chevy any day. Easier to work on, screw in rockers etc.

Not to mention. If they brought the turbo system to maturity ala Buick. 5l instead of 3.8l would have carried them over to the ls era if turbocharged.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan

I know exactly what you mean. To the point that I don't think I would ever actively seek a older GTO. I love all the Pontiacs at the show. And even though I was with a Second gen TA group all of us look at, talk to, and admire so many of the other Pontiacs there. We also all feel that between the walkers and $70k plus price tags that old crowd will soon be gone. lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info