title washing? is it possible?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
looking at getting a car from florida, current owner states it has a clean title, but it also came from texas just over a year ago.

what are the odds that this car was a flood car, and when the title got transferred to florida, the title was washed? is that one of the states that does that? when i register it here in IL, will it stay clean?

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Carfax or Autocheck the history.

Typically states carry rebuilt designations when reissuing titles. I am sure there are some exceptions but I doubt FL is one that does not.

IL thoroughly investigates vehicles prior history before issuing title. if it was rebuilt/prior salvage it will have to be reinspected. If it was a rebuilt title that was a prior parts only title or salvage non repairable that someone converted to rebuilt in another state IL will not issue title either.

If a vehicle with clean title was bought in an area that experienced flood and transferred to IL there are extra affidavits that have to be signed to insure car wasn't exposed to flood waters.

IL SOS has a pamphlet about this:

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd224.pdf

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I recently bought a car from Florida through CarMax. I had to wait months until the Florida title could be processed by Illinois and come back OK.

They said any title from a "flood state" would have it's title quarantined for months. You might want to check with the SOS office before going through this hassle.

(If you were trying to hide a flood car, Florida is the last place to do it.)

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
get the vin up. It is totally possible.
I worked for Insurance Auto Auctions for 3 years. It is very possible.
A texas car means it was a flood car, then it probably went around the country, then to florida.
. received_489293484921366.jpegreceived_2164187930501786.jpgreceived_177723173044614.jpegreceived_1011483542340830.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info