Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
S0fdq1c.jpg

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/new...nce-coast-guard-bainbridge-island/1126383002/

BROWNSVILLE — The Navy has detonated the "unidentified mine" found drifting in the water Tuesday afternoon between Brownsville Marina and the west shore of Bainbridge Island.

After officials from the multiple responding agencies decided the mine was unsafe to tow to shore for further assessment, it was detonated somewhere in the waters near Keyport and the Agate Pass Bridge at 8:04 p.m. Tuesday, a Navy official said.

https://twitter.com/RanjiKIRO7/status/1034639035141054464

The object was round and heavily rusted, with rods protruding from its surface. According to a Navy news release, "the unidentified moored mine was found to have decades of marine growth."

The mine did not make a secondary explosion, which indicates it was likely inert. The origins of the mine are unknown, and the Navy will continue to investigate the incident to determine where it came from, according to a press release.

Officials established a 1,500 yard stand-off safety zone in the center of Kitsap County waterways between Keyport, Bainbridge and Brownsville before the mine was detonated.

Although the detonation produced an audible explosion, Navy officials said it posed no danger to the public in the surrounding communities. Coast Guard spokeswoman Ali Flockerzi said the unexploded ordnance was reported in the early afternoon and was located by a crew from the Department of Natural Resources.

At about 5 p.m., Navy divers secured a long line to the device and began towing it with a small boat. Kitsap County Sheriff's Office asked residents along the waterfront in the area to shelter in place and stay off the beaches as a precaution. Brownsville Marina was also evacuated.

Brownsville is located a few miles south of Naval Base Kitsap-Keyport's torpedo testing range. Nearby residents watched the scene unfold Tuesday afternoon as news helicopters circled overhead.

"It looks just like a World War II mine," said Tom Parks, a retired Navy master chief who snapped pictures as the corroded object bobbed by his Brownsville home.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
was probably very much like this, then the chain or cable worked free/broke and it floated around. These things are still everywhere. Warships sit much lower in the water than most commercial traffic so they can go unnoticed for decades.
sea-mine-img.jpg

deployment
WW1_Ocean_Mines_350.jpg

Britain, a new gas pipe disturbed some things on the ocean floor.
_44322983_mine203bbc.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
plenty of mine fields around asia with plenty of loss as poorer folks have been clearing or unfortunate enough to encounter them.

I'm sure. That said that's probably one of the most heavily ordinanced sections of the world. For context it is bigger than the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
I'm sure. That said that's probably one of the most heavily ordinanced sections of the world. For context it is bigger than the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

When I was stationed in Asia we never came across a mine or any other left over weapons.
We did find 2-3 floaters, fishermen that fell over board, but nothing interesting like a mine, shipwreck or plane.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
When I was stationed in Asia we never came across a mine or any other left over weapons.
We did find 2-3 floaters, fishermen that fell over board, but nothing interesting like a mine, shipwreck or plane.

Sure on the shipwreck or plane but I'd pass on finding random unexploded ordinance. There's a reason they detonated that mine in place.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info