Question for residential HVAC experts

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
How unusual is it to have return registers on the floor, versus up high?

I had carpet installed on the first floor of my house and the carpet guy plugged two return registers that were on the floor, which were two of three return registers on the whole first floor - the other is up high in another room. He said they shouldn't be there, and didn't consult with me before filling, and also isn't an HVAC business so didn't offer to relocate higher to where he said they should be.

After that, the furnace ducts clunked on startup and shutdown, and struggled to keep the house at a consistent temp. The ducts constricted when the blower motor was on like trying to suck through a clogged straw, and relaxed when off, which was the clunking. I opened up the return ducts from the basement and it alleviated the clunking, and the house maintains temps wonderfully now.

I reached out to the guy to reverse his blocking of the vents, and he's doing it, but maintains that they shouldn't be on the floor. The house was built in 1989, so is this unusual? Why would the builder put the return registers on the floor?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Our first floor returns are lower in the wall at our house. There are a ton though. 1 or 2 in every room. They are not on the floor though.

The second floor has them all up high on the walls.

I’ve never heard of a return actually on the floor like a supply vent. You would think that would attract a ton of dirt.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The two returns that were filled were on the floor like supply vents, and about three feet from each other, but in the other room there's a single return vent up high. Upstairs, there are return vents up high in every room.

The air paths themselves in the basement are about 16 inches wide, each, and 8 inches tall, so it seemed like a significant amount of air to restrict from the furnace. I only self-diagnosed so really have no clue what's happening.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'm guessing it depends where the mechanicals are and the age of the home really. At my parents house (raised ranch built in the late 60's) the return is actually in the floor in the upstairs hallway because it's right above the furnace central to the upstairs rooms.

The downside is a 18"x30"ish size grate in the hallway floor.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I'm guessing it depends where the mechanicals are and the age of the home really. At my parents house (raised ranch built in the late 60's) the return is actually in the floor in the upstairs hallway because it's right above the furnace central to the upstairs rooms.

The downside is a 18"x30"ish size grate in the hallway floor.

My parents house also has the return in the floor. same neighborhood so it does not shock me they are the same. and 1/3 odds have the same style build house.

mat0485

Addict
Nov 27, 2009
Aurora
I read your post and none others.

1st you need those 2 blocked off and as you discovered your furnace requires that air to work. you risk damaging the blower, excessive noise and energy consumption. your air conditioner car freeze up and your furnace heat exchanger can over heat and crack.

2nd it is very weird that they are on the floor, usually thats a design of an 80yr old home. odd. id leave them as is.. probably not worth the cost, energy and effort to relocate.

hope this makes sense

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I had the carpet installer re-open not only the two I knew about, but a third he covered in the next room. The ducts don’t clunk anymore and it evened out the pressure on the first floor - before, the basement door (in the fam room where the two ducts were covered) would shimmy when the blower turned off like someone was pushing from the other side, and it doesn’t anymore. The guy fought me the whole way too, saying it won’t make a difference.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Not to hijack, but just had a new furnace, coil, condenser installed yesterday. Guy installing said the old job was a real piece of shit, but what really bothered him was that I only had 2-8" trunks for the entire house. Each trunk feeds 5-6 vents...he said he would usually have a single 8" trunk serving at most 2-3 vents, cutting down the vent size the farther down the line he went. I've always had trouble with air flow throughout the house, so what he says makes sense, but I'm not sure what I can really do about it...There's barely room in the furnace/hotwater heater closet for the tin that's in there now...

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
As far as airflow, I think it’s irresponsible to simply guess because of how it works in another house. There are tools to measure airflow, pressure and differentials to determine specifics of design and to maximize airflow.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The only time floor returns are utilized is in central return where you have one large return, that I’ve seen at least. Most of the time they will be up high. But yeah, absolutely don’t block them. You can hardly trust an HVAC contractor, forget a fucking carpet guy. The clunking noise is the duct collapsing from the excessive differential pressure.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
As far as airflow, I think it’s irresponsible to simply guess because of how it works in another house. There are tools to measure airflow, pressure and differentials to determine specifics of design and to maximize airflow.

Unfortunately outside of custom homes, the builder is going to shortcut as much as possible. It’s pretty damn easy to do calculations on airflow needed in the design phase.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info