Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I was talking with [MENTION=2762]boost21[/MENTION] tonight and we got on the topics of forums, social media and the rise and fall of all. Forums are essentially dead, for the moment at least. I'm fairly convinced that eventually, they will come back once someone figures out how to draw in the young crowd and make forums accessible instantly from phones. But thats not the point of this thread...

I made a statement - I'm not sure what I'll do once TCG closes its doors. Now, we're not at risk yet but the thought continually crosses my mind. Its been over ten years and TCG is part of my routine. Check it when I wake up, post throughout the day, post less at night, furiously refresh before bed. Every day, same thing. Its been an escape, a place where I've made great friends, a place to vent, and more. Its my extended family, for better (and sometimes) for worse.

I dont want to see it devolve into chaos or die a slow, painful, death. I know there are things that need fixing and things that need improvement. I need to be a better boss and react to concerns and comments that are said both publicly and privately. I need to continue to evolve the site even if traffic declines. I plan on getting more involved day to day again. Not just posting randomly but trying to grow again, bit by bit. I cant do it alone tho. in order for us to flourish, we all need to work together, whats left of us at least.

Everyone needs to understand that politics wont go away. Trump wont go away. The topics revolving on him wont go away. If its not your thing, ignore it. Racism unfortunately will not go away but I will be making a much more conscious effort to shut that shit down. Jokes are one thing, serious comments are another. I will do a better job differentiating the two. But its the internet, have a tough skin, shrug it off and move on..or, if its bad enough, let me know and bug me into action.

Some of you, I butt heads with but I do listen...even when I dont take action. Continue to bug me. Continue to push me. Continue to voice your concerns. Dont leave. Stay and help make this a better place.

I know we havent had any meets this year but a lot of that falls on me. Ive been dealing with my own shit for the past 2 years or so and I'm finally digging myself out of it. Things wont change over night but they will change. You guys make this place worth coming back to...continue to be that reason. I thank you all sincerely for being a part of TCG all these years.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Thanks for the status update. I would hate to think I'm a burden to the site, but if I am please say something. PMs are good. I've seem too many of my watering holes dry up over the last few years, largely due to infighting. Overall I don't agree with everyone over everything here, but I will say I don't think there's a lot of bad people here. That said I don't know which one of you random forum goers I'll be talking about on the TV news as a serial killer next week.

Long term I think that people will figure out that social media is designed as an addictive product and that may cause some rebellion against the likes of Facebook and Twitter. We'll see though.

I'm surprised no one has tried to make a way for forums to aggregate. Sure the membership is lower than they used to be, but if you had a few dozen forums aggregated based on posting matter it would help keep critical mass, diversify subjects and posters at some level.

Where you're lucky is that people come here for stuff that's not always topical. Believe it or not that's good. The Astro forum I'm on went down hill super fast after they stopped making them for instance.

I know you've gone through a lot personally, you don't talk about it a lot but there's enough there to understand there's some turbulence. We certainly appreciate having a place to kick our feet up and call home.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Mook, I applaud you for keeping this site up and running. It is truly a thankless job and requires more work than most know. Having run CMC for years I know firsthand how much shit needs to be poured into a forum especially in today’s world of twitface and the like taking over.

Keep at it and let us all know when you need a hand.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Tcg gets me through the day. Not sure what I would do without you loveable group of assholes.

This sums it up for me.

I'm apart of a dozen forums but this is one I visit every single hour of every single day.....

If this dies, I have zero interaction with 93% of you gheys..... I will not Facebook, will not Instagram....

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
If I could interject...if you want more traffic on the site it needs to have more straightforward tech stuff...even the remedial and mundane. Everyone (including myself) Googles tech articles to fix their own shit. would bring in a lot of random people for sure.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Hey, I'd love more car and tech related articles. I always ask for them... Getting them is another story. Believe it or not, the 3800 section still brings in a lot of guest views.

I'm always futzing with stuff...the problem is taking the raw footage and putting it into a format that's watchable. The only "how to" video I've done is music stuff...and it's pretty lame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RS8Mxy_rGo

And tracking the drums for that part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqmMtJVVHM

Oh, and listen to my weird shit:
https://soundcloud.com/ron-vogel/us-mere-mortals-2018

Clayton Bigsby

Regular
Jan 9, 2017
Whut?

Attachments

• 073.gif
    073.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 252

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'm always futzing with stuff...the problem is taking the raw footage and putting it into a format that's watchable. The only "how to" video I've done is music stuff...and it's pretty lame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RS8Mxy_rGo

Gotta start somewhere. If I do anything right now I do raw cut. I tried to install Davinci Resolve on my Linux box and it's being a pain in my jimmy so I need to toss it on the laptop.

I enjoy it, I think it's a good way to work on and evaluate your public speaking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info