Photo of Chicago Cops Sleeping on the Job

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
https://wgntv.com/2018/08/20/chicag...photo-of-cops-sleeping-on-the-job-goes-viral/

CHICAGO — A photo of two Chicago police officers sleeping in a squad car has gotten a lot of attention on social media, prompting officials to take disciplinary action. The photo has also raised questions about officer safety and whether increased overtime is taking a toll on officers.

The photo, which shows two police officers asleep in the front seat of a police car, was first posted Saturday morning on Facebook. It’s been shared more than 20,000 times since, including by mayoral candidate Ja’Mal Green who blames the situation on mandatory overtime.

“Both of them, not one was out, both of them were asleep, they probably had a rough day, they may have done a lot of overtime and these are the effects of it,” Green said.

Green, who has been a vocal critic of the Chicago Police Department during his days as a community activist, said this one is on Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the decision to deploy 600 more officers to combat the recent surge in gun violence.

"The answer is never to continue to militarize our communities," Green said. "I think that we have a heavily militarize community already, we have to have a comprehensive plan that talks about mental health, how to improve schools."

The Chicago Police Department released the following statement about the photo:

Officer welfare, health and safety are among our highest priorities. The officers involved in this incident were not on an overtime initiative and worked minimal amounts of overtime since July 1st and didnt work overtime this week or weekend.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
227349cb72b9858750a98b6e96c53a76.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Jamal Green commenting on anything involving the police about anything makes me laugh considering he punched one then Kimmy or Anita let him off on the charges for "the community."

That said not surprised at some level. I remember going in and trying to get a department to take an accident report. They didn't want to do shit not because they were busy but because they were fuckin lazy. There was no one else there.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Green, who has been a vocal critic of the Chicago Police Department during his days as a community activist, said this one is on Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the decision to deploy 600 more officers to combat the recent surge in gun violence.

"The answer is never to continue to militarize our communities," Green said. "I think that we have a heavily militarize community already, we have to have a comprehensive plan that talks about mental health, how to improve schools."

Right about now, complete military action with Blackhawk helicopter gunships, drones, etc, might be the only option...

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Good for them!

Option A) Sleep

Option B) Respond to crimes and get roasted by ignorant uneducated people and criminals who won't cooperate with them, and ultimately won't solve the crime.

I choose Option A

You forgot IAD, the ACLU and COPA. Then again I forgot Rahm and company if SHTF.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Good for them!

Option A) Sleep

Option B) Respond to crimes and get roasted by ignorant uneducated people and criminals who won't cooperate with them, and ultimately won't solve the crime.

I choose Option A

I have to agree, and tax payers should be enraged by this, but honestly how can anyone blame them anymore? The latest demands from the ACLU require CPD to ask permission before making an arrest. These kind of policies are dangerous and don't allow cops to do their job, at what point do they just say fuck it?

“The proposed consent decree released by the city and the office of the attorney general falls far short of what’s required in order to end the reign of lawlessness and brutality that we’ve endured under this police department,” Jonathan Projansky, of Black Lives Matter Chicago, told the Chicago Tribune.

Members of Black Lives Matter, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and a number of attorneys gathered in front of the mayor’s office in city hall on Tuesday to protest the draft agreement.

The activist groups want the Chicago Police Department to implement a policy that tells officers to use the “least intrusive response appropriate under the circumstances as reasonably understood by the officer at the time” in dealing with minor offenses, the Chicago Tribune reported.

In their proposed version of the agreement, officers would be encouraged to give warnings or divert people to “mediation or public health program(s)” rather making arrests and writing them tickets.

And they want officers to have to seek approval from a supervisor before making an arrest for a host of crimes from gambling and prostitution to obstructing, resisting, or assaulting a police officer, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The ACLU and Black Lives Matter want officers to have to write a report every time they point a Taser or a gun at a person, or any time they even draw their weapons.

This particular issue has been a sticking point during negotiations as the state attorney general’s office demanded all those incidents be reported and Chicago city officials pushed back, citing the amount of time required that would keep officer away from street patrol.

Activists groups have also demanded that the Chicago PD enact a foot pursuit policy. The draft of the consent decree would allow the creation of that policy but does not require it, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The proposed agreement included changes to the protocol for handling people dealing with mental health issues, but the activist groups weren’t satisfied with what the draft included.

They want certified crisis intervention officers to respond to every call involving a mentally unstable suspect, and they also wanted the consent decree to create a “behavior health unit” that would allow citizens to intervene in incidents and would divert mentally ill suspects from the criminal justice system, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The creation of the proposed consent decree, which is still a work in progress, was sparked by the outrage that followed the release of video of Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke shooting teenager Laquan McDonald.

The video sparked protests and a U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) report of Chicago PD claimed officers had engaged in “brutality and misconduct” without fear of consequences, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Officer Van Dyke is scheduled for trial on murder charges in September.

Initially, the Chicago mayor supported the idea of the consent decree, but then pulled back after the Trump administration showed no interest in federal micromanagement of local police agencies, according to the Chicago Tribune.

However, Emanuel agreed to negotiate after the Illinois attorney general sued to force the issue even if the DoJ wasn’t going to follow through.

The Chicago Fraternal Order of Police has called the consent decree a “war on the police” and argued that Madigan’s lawsuit wasn’t legal, the Chicago Tribune reported. They have sought relief in the matter but a judge has not yet ruled on their request.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesma...o-assault-cops-resist-ZHh4cysyPU6WWRz_mYABdg/

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
don't they do 12 hour shifts? i'm okay with a little nap here and there so they can stay alert when needed. as long as they were not missing calls during that time, but id bet all cops during the shift take naps. they hopefully plan it out and take turns to ensure each area they are patrolling still has good coverage.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I was talking to my brother about this incident. He does security work in bad neighborhoods.

He says the amount of crime he sees is hard to believe. Drug sales in plain sight, car break ins, thefts, etc. I asked about reporting them and he says no way. They could find out where he lives and send bangers out to his house in Orland. How can we ask residents of these neighborhoods to report crimes if they know they will get retribution from the gangs?

Arrest/kill the gang leaders. Next week arrest/kill the new leaders. Repeat as necessary until the gangs are gone. Not easy but there is no easy answer to this problem.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I was talking to my brother about this incident. He does security work in bad neighborhoods.

He says the amount of crime he sees is hard to believe. Drug sales in plain sight, car break ins, thefts, etc. I asked about reporting them and he says no way. They could find out where he lives and send bangers out to his house in Orland. How can we ask residents of these neighborhoods to report crimes if they know they will get retribution from the gangs?

Arrest/kill the gang leaders. Next week arrest/kill the new leaders. Repeat as necessary until the gangs are gone. Not easy but there is no easy answer to this problem.

Have you ever watched "The Wire"? Issue is due process and the fact that the gang leaders usually are so far removed from doing anything wrong that technically they can't get a warrant for them.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
This is the problem, there are no more gang leaders they are all locked up.
Not going to go in to much detail as I dont have enough time for that shit.
You now have very large gangs split in to 100's of factions fighting each other.
Believe it or not, gangs had laws and policies you had to follow as a member of that gang. If you didnt, punishment could be anywhere from a 2 minute ass whooping by several members to even death. These MFers now a days dont have anyone or anything to fear

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
when you work back to back 16 hour shifts, we all nod off. When I got promoted and ran my own crew, one of the many things I hammered on was nodding off in the squad car. Id rather see one of my guys go in the squad room and take an hour of shut eye instead of hiding it and snoozing in the squad. Supervisors need to stop making guys fearful of being tired when working, instead let them get an hour where they wont get shot at or video taped. Most of the time an hour is all that it takes to get the edge off; followed by a pot of coffee, a 5 hour energy and a few monsters in my case.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Have you ever watched "The Wire"? Issue is due process and the fact that the gang leaders usually are so far removed from doing anything wrong that technically they can't get a warrant for them.

I agree that it's incredibly tough to go after the bosses.

Problem is you can arrest street thugs forever and won't change anything. As long as the kids have no other way of making nearly as much money, they'll go that route. It's a job with prestige and money.

Change the laws so guys in prison can't run anything on the outside. Investigate leaders on the streets and take them down. Government and PDs need to work together, probably for decades, to make an impact. Once the gangs are weakened PDs may see more cooperation from honest people in the hoods.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
yeh and I need to knock that shit off. Im on enough BP meds as it is, consuming caffeine like a crack head isnt helping. Although my caffeine cocktail does keep me awake!

That much caffeine can't be good for you. Maybe 2 hours instead. Split the shifts up for guys who need it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info