Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://lrmonline.com/news/amazon-g...ming-to-acquire-landmark-theatres/?no_cache=1

Amazon has been in the film studio business for a bit, developing shows and producing movies that have had both theatrical and streaming-only releases on their platform Amazon Prime Video. But they haven’t actually been involved in the brick-and-mortar theater business alongside the likes of Cinemark and AMC. Well, the online giant hopes to change that.

According to a new report from Bloomberg states that Amazon is looking to acquire Landmark Theatres from Wagner/Cuban Cos. As of this writing, it sounds like the decision is far from confirmed and could very well fall through. Still, it’s not so much the move itself as it is the spirit of the move that makes this notable.

While there are many reasons to acquire something like Landmark, one big reason could be so that they could get wider distribution for their original content, and could help to push their shows and films to a much bigger audience. More exposure can mean more subscribers, more subscribers equals more money, and — well, you get the idea.

This is also yet another move that Amazon has made in getting physical locations. Not too long ago, Amazon bookstores began popping up, and just last year, they acquired Whole Foods, so should this go through, it would be yet another tick in their “physical locations” box.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Get up in the morning, go to Whole Foods and get your Amazon coffee. Head over to the Amazon book store and grab a book. Off to work at one of the Amazon subsidiaries. Read your book while on your Amazon break. Head home and fire up the PC so you can order some more Amazon gear while eating your Whole Foods, Amazon meal. Go watch an Amazon movie in an Amazon theater. Go home and have a nightcap. "Alexa, play music by Aretha Franklin." "Alexa, it's bedtime. Lock the doors and turn off the lights."

Goodnight, Amazon. Sweet dreams.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
Get up in the morning, go to Whole Foods and get your Amazon coffee. Head over to the Amazon book store and grab a book. Off to work at one of the Amazon subsidiaries. Read your book while on your Amazon break. Head home and fire up the PC so you can order some more Amazon gear while eating your Whole Foods, Amazon meal. Go watch an Amazon movie in an Amazon theater. Go home and have a nightcap. "Alexa, play music by Aretha Franklin." "Alexa, it's bedtime. Lock the doors and turn off the lights."

Goodnight, Amazon. Sweet dreams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eicL-B9KKoY

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
supposedly they’re working on a referral-style Service to take on Zillow, Redfin, etc.

all of the things

i've just started building stuff in the aws cloud, pretty impressive.

i'd like to articulate on this. in my prior sales engineering job, i sold million dollar database computers with special gear (FPGAs) and clever architecture to do data warehousing on large databases (1 TB minimum) - we wouldn't even talk to you unless you had this much data.

redshift was on amazon but technically it was unexciting and it was just an offer to small guys, those willing to venture on the cloud at that. i've been playing a lot with the snowflake database which is really cleverly and impressively architected and i'd argue is the first actually exciting data warehouse database in the cloud.

someone like me can (and i have) just sign up for an account and start using it, any tiny data levels up to absolutely huge ones. if i have 5 TB of data i want to do reporting on, i could start something now and probably be reporting on it by midnight, and pay $100 to do so. it's pretty crazy to think about how extreme a change this is.

what about the ETL server? oh at work they had to procure a hardware server for 50k and get x/y and z teams to stand it up and install the license we pay $k a year for, etc etc. maybe there is some hyperv virtualization thing to deploy for a virtual one.

or an amazon i can just go to the marketplace and say <click> give me this ETL server and 10 minutes later, here it is. costs me $2.50/hr to run.

the environment that used to cost 1.5 million in hardware and man hours and 30 days to set up, i can now stand up $50 and 30 minutes. by the end of the year even heavily utilized may cost $100k.

i lack big interesting sets of data to do cool things with, but it's wild to think you can have the power of the infrastructure of a multi billion dollar company with little effort. i can sit here on my couch and for $100 throw an amazing amount of compute at some problem. then just turn it off when i'm done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info