Wrap your keys in foil...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Car theft prevention tips for guys with keyless entry car models.

For the past couple of years, manufacturers have learned that this chip technology has programming flaws, and skilled hackers can use this vulnerability to unlock millions of vehicles.

This was a frightening surprise. Each key fob/car security pair is unique, and each one can create billions of codes. But Researchers at Radboud University in the Netherlands and the University of Birmingham found that by intercepting the wireless signal twice, they could narrow down the possible combinations from billions to just 200,000. After that, a computer can figure out the code in just half an hour and unlock the car.

In a real-world application, a thief could sit on a street gathering wireless signals as car owners enter and exit their vehicles. Then, they could steal many cars.

Still, that takes a skilled car thief or hacker to carry out this kind of attack, so the odds of it happening to you are slim. However, thanks to always-on key fobs, there's another risk that's much more likely to happen.

Always-on key fobs present a severe weakness of your car's security. As long as your keys are in range, anyone can open the car, and the system will think it's you. That's why newer car models won't unlock until the key fob is within a foot.

However, criminals can get relatively cheap relay boxes that capture key fob signals up to 300 feet away, and then transmit them to your car.

In other words, your keys could be in your house, and criminals could use the relay box to walk up to your car and open it.

Tips in link. Basically, put in special pouch, put in freezer, put in microwave or get an RFID blocker.

Why you should wrap your car keys in aluminum foil | Fox News

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
For years I have always locked my car with the door button. It’s just something I’ve done out of habit. So I guess I’m a little ahead of the code robbers acquiring a second signal unless I unlock my car twice I suppose.

I don’t know. What ever. Good luck mother fuckers. Better steal my shit old school if they even know how anymore. LOLzzz

df4afaa9c2ba128abb9bd3370e31f87e.jpg

2899113e10d8562b3b2e84c54b9ca858.jpg

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
Why? Most of us work hard. I dont want to spend my 35-45 minute ride driving an 88 Oldsmobile.

People laugh, but the newest year car I ever owned, isn't even a real car.
My Pro-Mod is based on a 1994 Z34, which is a bunch of tubing & carbon fiber.
My newest car I've gotten for myself is my 1974 Chevelle.
I do have a '89 Formula, but I bought that for my son and ended up with it when he was too lazy to work on it.

I did buy a new '84, '86, '88 Datsun truck, every thing else has been used, including the trucks for work & towing the racecar trailer.

Just how it goes.
Now of course my wife had all brand new cars, including her M-6 toy she just had to have.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Only 18 percent of Americans can drive stick so I think my chances are good.

Why do people act like driving a manual is so difficult? I taught myself in my driveway when I was 15 in less than 10 minutes. Literally anyone could figure it out if they wanted to.

I watched the Jiffy Lube guy stall out the Mustang about three times before he got the car over the pit. And he was probably the one with the most experience on that shift. I would think at least one knucklehead at Jiffy Lube should be able to pull in a manual car.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
People always laugh at me when I ask them if they can drive stick anytime I have to take the GTA somewhere.

When I took it to a shop for an alignment I asked them who their most experienced guy was with a manual car.

I then proceeded to ask him several questions about how much manual experience he has, and if he's ever driven a big cam V8 car that makes just enough vacuum to run the brakes, and not enough to run the power steering.

After talking with them and finding out the guy has never owned a manual car I told them either I drive it onto the rack, or I take my business elsewhere.

I don't have time to watch some idiot mechanic who says they can drive stick smoke my clutch. Let alone the risk of them trying to put it on a drive-on rack.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
People laugh, but the newest year car I ever owned, isn't even a real car.
My Pro-Mod is based on a 1994 Z34, which is a bunch of tubing & carbon fiber.
My newest car I've gotten for myself is my 1974 Chevelle.
I do have a '89 Formula, but I bought that for my son and ended up with it when he was too lazy to work on it.

I did buy a new '84, '86, '88 Datsun truck, every thing else has been used, including the trucks for work & towing the racecar trailer.

Just how it goes.
Now of course my wife had all brand new cars, including her M-6 toy she just had to have.

Good for you I guess? I work too long and hard to drive a hooptie to work. :dunno: Ill drive a 4th gen Fbody. Thats about as old as Ill get. Next to a 77 TA or a 60s GTO. Ipso facto, Im not owning an older car. :rofl:

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Hey, I never said I wasn't weird.
I spend $35,000 on an engine, but drive around in an '02 pick up.
Like I said, it just is what it is, I'm not anti-new vehicle, I'm just weird.

Same as when we went to dinner, my wife loved fancy meals & I preferred a basic diner.
When she picked, it was $100 and we don't drink, when I picked, it was $15-20, we were in & out in 1/2 the time.

I just don't need a fancy car or fancy food, even when I wasn't paying, I'm just weird obviously.
My vehicle is just a tool to get to work so I can afford what's really important, my racecars!!!!
Same with food, I eat to live, not live to eat like some people do.
I eat the same few foods over & over, & never try new things.

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio

Hey, I never said I wasn't weird.
I spend $35,000 on an engine, but drive around in an '02 pick up.
Like I said, it just is what it is, I'm not anti-new vehicle, I'm just weird.

Same as when we went to dinner, my wife loved fancy meals & I preferred a basic diner.
When she picked, it was $100 and we don't drink, when I picked, it was $15-20, we were in & out in 1/2 the time.

I just don't need a fancy car or fancy food, even when I wasn't paying, I'm just weird obviously.
My vehicle is just a tool to get to work so I can afford what's really important, my racecars!!!!
Same with food, I eat to live, not live to eat like some people do.
I eat the same few foods over & over, & never try new things.

I didn’t realize we were twins? Hi [emoji112] brother!!!

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I wouldn't exactly call an old F350 & F250 super duty diesels $500 heaps,
but I understand why some are surprised why some people with the dough drive something less reliable than they can afford.

I've just never cared about how it looks, I'm also had a lot of employees over the years that jacked up my vehicles costing me a lot of dough :(
So got in the habit of buying used.

I also have 3 racecars, 1 that cost over $100,000 and a big ass racecar trailer.
I don't care about keeping up with the Jones, I just want what I want, and don't care about the small stuff.

You should see my wardrobe, total cost is about $50!!!!
Obviously I don't care what any one thinks when they see me or my stuff.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I never understood why anybody would drive a heap that’s worth $500 everyday and can afford a nice vehicle for everyday transportation and then some have a nice toy in the garage. One minute YOU are here the next YOU are gone and one might as well enjoy yourself within reason.

I have other priorities in life. I don't drive a $500 heap but I consider a $70K SUV or truck just absurd. I put some sweat equity into what I have and a couple more dollars into my 401K.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Great info and nobody is asking what u guys have. I’m saying why limit yourself everyday on a daily basis. Nobody is saying go spend 70k either. Like I said before one minute u are here and the next u are gone as for me personally I’m not going to drive a junk that’s falling apart if I can afford something way better. That is all

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info