May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
aEH4jTA.jpg

3VHgvXd.jpg

0Vl69xu.jpg

B60W8g3.jpg

There are some videos I saw over the weekend but id have to find them. 4th largest fire in the state or something like that.

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
Last year we worked on a project to convert some planes into "fire bombers".

Here a few pictures of some parts. The first one is a fitting with hydraulic actuators. This is part of the "drop system". Two per aircraft.

CNiXFa6.jpg

This here is a "chute" that water flows into and then from the reservoir tank on the aircraft. This is connected to a lower assembly where the water is finally dropped. There are two per aircraft and theses are about 8 feet.

hW8MQX4.jpg

These are fittings that hold the tanks to the aircraft.

ZVx5IRd.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
fire is natural and necessary for shit like that though [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION]

I think that is more for the prairies, not forests. But I guess even fires there help turn the trees into nutrients for the area.

It is a shame when it if forests as it probably takes decades for trees to be mature in those areas again.

*edit* quick google search and...

Established trees have to compete with undergrowth for nutrients and space. Fire clears the weaker trees and debris and returns health to the forest. Clearing brush from the forest floor with low intensity flames can help prevent large damaging wildfires that spread out of control and completely destroy forests.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think that is more for the prairies, not forests.

It is a shame when it if forests as it probably takes decades for trees to be mature in those areas again.

nah helps forests too.

issue is these areas havent burnt in so long, small fires would have helped.

these massive clusterfuck fires aren't as helpful.

parts of yellowstone are still recovering from that 80s? fire they had but it's good for a lot of shit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://billingsgazette.com/news/st...cle_4e7b57d6-111c-5c65-90f5-cd627c0604c7.html

Jump forward to 2013, the 25th anniversary of those fires, and it’s evident that Yellowstone National Park continues to thrive, adapt and transform as it always has, and that part of that change has always included fire. The species of plants and animals that inhabit the park have long adapted to fire. Sure, there are changes, but Yellowstone is a dynamic landscape. Nothing stays the same. And fire will return, especially as summers grow ever longer, hotter, drier and contain more lightning strikes.

What seems evident is that although the Yellowstone fires of 1988 were dramatic, they were only a signal of what was to come. Last year in Montana alone, 1.1 million acres burned while the nation saw almost 8 million acres consumed by wildland fires. Firefighting costs for the Forest Service alone totaled about $1 billion. Already this year, almost 300,000 acres burned in just two of New Mexico’s 10 fires.

So wildland fire is here to stay on the Western landscape. More fires will burn in Yellowstone. But the burns are no longer viewed as catastrophic to the landscape. Different plants will sprout in the ashes, different trees and bushes will grow, but it is part of a natural cycle — one that people visiting Yellowstone National Park can see with their own eyes.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
nah helps forests too.

issue is these areas havent burnt in so long, small fires would have helped.

these massive clusterfuck fires aren't as helpful.

parts of yellowstone are still recovering from that 80s? fire they had but it's good for a lot of shit.

Ya, I just edited my post. Google search says they are helpful. But I think it is intended for small burns and fires. Not raging fires. Like you just mentioned.

Still sad to see large sections of forest burnt. Especially if it is longer to recover than a couple decades. Fires in the 80's and still recovering? That sucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info