Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Answer, no.

If youre looking for whole house coverage, I would look into a mesh network, like what Google offers for example.

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_learn?hl=en-US

Or the cheaper alternative is to upgrade your hardware, depending on how old it is. If its an all in one deal from Comcast, for example, ditch that shit.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Do you guys think my WiFi signal is a little blocked from being under the computer desk or does it not matter ?

e5135d09d0b944769bf845e4c471d0f6.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
well fuck this is neat as shit

I'm fairly certain thats what fried my wifi module in my TV but Ive been using it for almost a year with my xbox, etc and it works flawless. I always get my max speeds using it upstairs. Its a great way to hard wire the house.

But I mean its stupid easy to use. Plug the main hub into an outlet by your modem, run cable from modem (or router) to it. Plug the other unit in near tv, xbox, etc....annnd you have internet.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Powerline works great. Some people always says don't but never provide any reason why not.

depends. There are a lot of variables. Older houses the wiring may not be compatible. Speeds can be very inconsistent. Using high Amperage devices on the same circuit can cause interference issues. Big, expensive and bulky.

With a newer house and the newer products, it is an ok solution but still sub-par to running a dedicated data cable. Plus you gotta worry about surges wiping out the extenders and sending power to the devices since they can't be on a power strip. Probably not likely to happen, but still a possibility

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Do you guys think my WiFi signal is a little blocked from being under the computer desk or does it not matter ?

e5135d09d0b944769bf845e4c471d0f6.jpg

Location matters a lot.

Generally, you should try to put the router in a central location, such as the middle of your house if you want WiFi to cover the whole house.

Also, keep it up off of the floor. The closer to the ceiling, the better. This helps prevent the signal from being blocked by anything near the floor, such as your desk or other furniture. Your router is in a very bad position being under your desk.

Don't put it near any electrical appliances, such as fridges, washing machines or anything which could block a signal or cause electrical interference.

If it has an external antenna, be sure to point it straight up. Those antenna's have a donut shaped radiation pattern that extends outwards. Having the antenna flat will reduce its coverage since the signal will be extended toward the floor and ceiling instead of outwards into the house.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Answer, no.

If youre looking for whole house coverage, I would look into a mesh network, like what Google offers for example.

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_learn?hl=en-US

Or the cheaper alternative is to upgrade your hardware, depending on how old it is. If its an all in one deal from Comcast, for example, ditch that shit.

just had my parents pick this up, although i haven't been over there to provide IT support yet

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Zero problems in over a year.

I've been using Powerline in my place since 2010 to get a line into the back room which for whatever reason never gets good wifi and would be a pain to get hardline to. It works well enough with the early 70's wiring in the house. Never had any issues. They just have to be plugged direct into the wall outlet. Computers and the TV and such in the living room and rest of the house are all Hard line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info