I'm not racist, but...

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Say you're trying to describe someone to someone else. For example:

You: Anthony Mackie.

Them: Who?

You: He played the Falcon in the Marvel movies.

Them: The guy with the robot arm?

You: No, that's Bucky the Winter Soldier. This guy was Captain America's other friend. The guy with the wing suit. He fought Ant-Man on the roof of the Avenger's base in the first Ant-Man movie.

Them: *shrug*

You: *sigh* The black guy who's not Black Panther or War Machine.

I feel like we've all had this sort of situation at some point in our lives. If you're like me, you've succumbed to perceived social pressures and try as rarely as you can to refer to anyone by their skin color. But in the above situation, you could go on and on describing Anthony Mackie. Maybe even take a minute to whip out your phone and google image search him for the person. Or, as ya do, you bite the social awkwardness bullet and just refer to someone as "the black guy". Is this wrong?

I'm a white guy of mostly German ancestry. I'd be fine if other people were to refer to me as the white guy in a situation like the one above. But I know there are people out there who are offended when they're referred to as the black guy. And I imagine "African-American" is even worse since they were most likely born here in America. I know I wouldn't want to be called "German-American."

So what does one do? Should you just call someone "the black guy", or is there some PC term out there I should be using?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

I feel like we've all had this sort of situation at some point in our lives. If you're like me, you've succumbed to perceived social pressures and try as rarely as you can to refer to anyone by their skin color. But in the above situation, you could go on and on describing Anthony Mackie. Maybe even take a minute to whip out your phone and google image search him for the person. Or, as ya do, you bite the social awkwardness bullet and just refer to someone as "the black guy". Is this wrong?

I'm a white guy of mostly German ancestry. I'd be fine if other people were to refer to me as the white guy in a situation like the one above. But I know there are people out there who are offended when they're referred to as the black guy. And I imagine "African-American" is even worse since they were most likely born here in America. I know I wouldn't want to be called "German-American."

So what does one do? Should you just call someone "the black guy", or is there some PC term out there I should be using?

Would it be wrong for you to go "the blonde lady with blue eyes" or "that ginger over there" well the latter may be derogatory but you get my point.

Philosophically I'd say no but in terms of SJWs who knows what will offend these days. If someone's that sensitive and they're not your boss or spouse who gives a damn tell em to fuck off and mind their own business.. If they are that sensitive and they're your boss or spouse get a new boss or spouse because they suck.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

if someone gets mad at me for describing someone and saying the skin color as describing them, then they are not someone i want to talk to. i didn't use it in a negative way, f off.

Idoma

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Jun 13, 2012
Plainfield

Yes you can call someone "the black guy". As a black guy, I absolutely do not consider it racist when describing someone's appearance. It is an important detail and beating around the bush makes everyone uncomfortable whether its the person speaking trying their best to be politically correct or the other person you are speaking to when you finally give up and just say "black guy". Black, African American, its all good. Just please don't call a black person "colored" to their face because its got a bad history behind the word, almost as bad as the "N" word.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info