Just why?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...iver-vern-unsworth-twitter-pedo-a8448366.html

Elon Musk has called a British diver who helped rescue schoolboys from a flooded cave in Thailand ‘pedo guy’ on Twitter.

The entrepreneur’s outburst came after diver Vern Unsworth told Mr Musk to “stick his submarine where it hurts” after describing his offer to help with a miniature submersible as a “PR stunt”.

Mr Musk travelled to the Tham Luang caverns in Chiang Rai this week and presented the six-foot submarine – which he said could help free 12 schoolboys stranded for weeks inside the cave.

Musk can ‘stick his submarine where it hurts’, says cave rescue diver
But Mr Unsworth, who was instrumental in rescuing the school football team, said the vessel the SpaceX and Tesla boss invented “had absolutely no chance of working” because the inventor “had no conception of what the cave passage was like”.

In response to criticism from the diver, Mr Musk defended his invention through a series of tweets before adding: “Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it.”

After facing backlash for the comment, the billionaire added: “Bet ya a signed dollar it’s true.”

This is Trump like behavior. Belittles everyone that doesn't agree with him; praises those that were kind to him. I don't know how feasible his plan or why him and the other guy are at odds. It's disappointing to see this kind of behavior.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I was thinking the same thing. Why would either of these guys get into a public hassle over the submarine offer. Is Musk mad because he didn't get praised for sending a submarine? So, don't send one next time.

I hope Musk doesn't keep doing weird things. He's too important to lose to insanity considering his interests in Space X and Tesla.

I'd be just as happy if Trump would tone it down, too.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Bad move on Musk with that comment. Why even bother with a statement? Why would the diver refuse the contraption anyways. If somebody made a suggestion and a chance of a possibility of it helping one way or another, why refuse that help? I'd take all the help I could get and see if I can make do with what I have. :dunno:

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
1964c611bb2fd894184deb4cc827c966.jpeg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Pretty ignorant on both sides. As the rescue person that’s super fucking dumb to say when someone is offering help. If it wouldn’t work it wouldn’t work, but the guy was offering assistance to help.

And on the flip side..... the response wasn’t necessary to the diver. If you didn’t respond only the diver would look like a huge asshole

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Pretty ignorant on both sides. As the rescue person that’s super fucking dumb to say when someone is offering help. If it wouldn’t work it wouldn’t work, but the guy was offering assistance to help.

And on the flip side..... the response wasn’t necessary to the diver. If you didn’t respond only the diver would look like a huge asshole

Exactly. Seems like he got his feelings hurt and just decided to be mean.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I honestly think he's heard people tell him how great he is far too much for far too long and maybe's he's had a little too much of his own koolaid. I mean, this doesn't define him. By and large he does do a lot of great things with his money both personally and through his companies.

When you've accomplished as much as he has and you get someone calling you out publicly I can appreciate that he probably has a natural "Well what the fuck have you done" mentality though even that's something to keep in your own head. But to call the guy a fucking pedophile. I mean what are you thinking? And then to double down on it when criticized. Yeeeesh.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I honestly think he's heard people tell him how great he is far too much for far too long and maybe's he's had a little too much of his own koolaid. I mean, this doesn't define him. By and large he does do a lot of great things with his money both personally and through his companies.

When you've accomplished as much as he has and you get someone calling you out publicly I can appreciate that he probably has a natural "Well what the fuck have you done" mentality though even that's something to keep in your own head. But to call the guy a fucking pedophile. I mean what are you thinking? And then to double down on it when criticized. Yeeeesh.

I think he's way over committed in a lot of ways right now. The two key ones being:

1-He is continually spinning up new companies instead of focusing on a few core products or divisions. This means he's trying to a lot of things in a lot of divergent directions and in turn he's doing a lot of things in a way that's not near as well as he could.

2-He's an inventor not a maintainer. He should be bringing good ideas to a point then capitalizing on them and moving to the next ones. You cannot be something you're not and while he may be able to do it, it's likely not where he truly shines.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I think he's way over committed in a lot of ways right now. The two key ones being:

1-He is continually spinning up new companies instead of focusing on a few core products or divisions. This means he's trying to a lot of things in a lot of divergent directions and in turn he's doing a lot of things in a way that's not near as well as he could.

I'm not sure I agree on that. His main focus seems to be on Tesla and SpaceX and I'd say now it's really predominantly Tesla. For pet projects he seems to just grab his top engineers and put them on it. I believe the Boring Company is mostly comprised of Tesla/ SpaceX guys.

2-He's an inventor not a maintainer. He should be bringing good ideas to a point then capitalizing on them and moving to the next ones. You cannot be something you're not and while he may be able to do it, it's likely not where he truly shines.

I've heard people say this before and again I'm not so sure I agree with it. Look at SpaceX. We're what, 13 years in and that's humming along just fine. Likewise with Tesla. A story just came out today that the Model 3 is working with 30% margins. That is unheard of in the automotive industry.

He's running two ground breaking companies in Tesla and SpaceX and I don't think it could be said that he's doing a bad job at either. That's not to say that there isn't very valid criticism for some of the things going on at Tesla. He's promised Tesla customers a ton of stuff he hasn't made good on. Most recently Autopilot 1.0 which never got all of the promised features (and likely will never get them) and Autopilot 2.0/ 2.5 which was supposed to start seeing the introduction of self driving features something like a year ago not to mention they were supposed to do a coast to coast self driving trip by the end of 2017, missed the deadline and haven't said anything about when they will take that trip a full half year after it was promised.

A more traditional CEO would be more measured in communication towards the public and managing expectations. Musk is terrible at this. I wouldn't say it makes him bad at running the company though.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'm not sure I agree on that. His main focus seems to be on Tesla and SpaceX and I'd say now it's really predominantly Tesla. For pet projects he seems to just grab his top engineers and put them on it. I believe the Boring Company is mostly comprised of Tesla/ SpaceX guys.

I've heard people say this before and again I'm not so sure I agree with it. Look at SpaceX. We're what, 13 years in and that's humming along just fine. Likewise with Tesla. A story just came out today that the Model 3 is working with 30% margins. That is unheard of in the automotive industry.

He's running two ground breaking companies in Tesla and SpaceX and I don't think it could be said that he's doing a bad job at either. That's not to say that there isn't very valid criticism for some of the things going on at Tesla. He's promised Tesla customers a ton of stuff he hasn't made good on. Most recently Autopilot 1.0 which never got all of the promised features (and likely will never get them) and Autopilot 2.0/ 2.5 which was supposed to start seeing the introduction of self driving features something like a year ago not to mention they were supposed to do a coast to coast self driving trip by the end of 2017, missed the deadline and haven't said anything about when they will take that trip a full half year after it was promised.

A more traditional CEO would be more measured in communication towards the public and managing expectations. Musk is terrible at this. I wouldn't say it makes him bad at running the company though.

As CEO of a company your job is to drive market share, product innovation public image and ultimately stock price if public and be accountable to your investors. He can obviously innovate and to an extent drive market share but he's floundering with the public communications and image. Having shit slip like that can be a sign of macro issues or it can be a sign of issues within the company. Regardless though, if he can't get the ship righted his investors and board will take over and do what they have to in order to protect their interests. That's the down side of taking capital from investors of any kind.

My point being how many people are doing literally fucking rocket science and running a car company and a tunneling company at the same time? It's not many. It comes with a price. A lot of us can do stuff, but it becomes exceedingly difficult over time to scale it. Musk is a smart guy and I have no doubts about that but ultimately we all have limits we need to understand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info