28. Hot Ginger Tea Kit Kat

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I have obtained ONE of the flavors. Tensuke Market has about 4 or 5 of them.

ae969b0d-75b6-46e8-b0ed-283b1c2d40e1

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Shit I’m approaching 33 and still love me some good anime

I mean you have the mainstream Miyazaki stuff which is excellent, kids stuff like all the Dragon Ball’s, and then the psychoanalytical quasi-giant robot but not robot cluster which is Evangelion (I STILL don’t fully understand that show, and I’ve watched it in its entirety a couple dozen times...people ask me to describe it, and the more I watch the more it defies categorization...simple answer, giant robot beings ripping each other apart with a main back drop of a coming of age and self awareness of a young boy)

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Shit I’m approaching 33 and still love me some good anime

I mean you have the mainstream Miyazaki stuff which is excellent, kids stuff like all the Dragon Ball’s, and then the psychoanalytical quasi-giant robot but not robot cluster which is Evangelion (I STILL don’t fully understand that show, and I’ve watched it in its entirety a couple dozen times...people ask me to describe it, and the more I watch the more it defies categorization...simple answer, giant robot beings ripping each other apart with a main back drop of a coming of age and self awareness of a young boy)
. I suppose I'm derailing my own thread here.

Evangelion is a Mind Fuck no matter what language you watch it in. So is Serial Experiments Lain.

One of the things I miss about 80's and early 90's Anime is the hand drawn style. I liked the computer colored hand drawn stuff like found in Hellsing. But once they started doing the odd Cell Shaded fake 2D anime I really couldn't find many titles I enjoyed.

But my Top 3 would be Project A-ko, Bubblegum Crisis 2032/33, and Macross Plus.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I had a roommate who was obsessed with Japanese Anime. He literally had hundreds of video tapes of that shit. I never understood what the big deal was, especially since they all speak in Japanese and he couldn't understand a single thing they're saying since he didn't speak Jap.

What am I missing here?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I had a roommate who was obsessed with Japanese Anime. He literally had hundreds of video tapes of that shit. I never understood what the big deal was, especially since they all speak in Japanese and he couldn't understand a single thing they're saying since he didn't speak Jap.

What am I missing here?

Different strokes, for different folks I guess.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

What am I missing here?

There was a lack of distribution back in the 80's and early 90's. It was hard to get Subtitled, and even harder to get Dubbed shows. So if you wanted to watch it, you watched and hoped you could figure out what the hell was happening. I just learned the language instead.

As for the cultural difference?

In the US, Toons were for kids only. Rarely was anything animated ever meant for adult eyes. Story lines and plots were purely for children.

In Japan, animated content was just a medium to tell a story. As adult, childish, or explicit as you wanted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info