Anyone have a steel roof on their house??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Saw a mini-mansion type house with a steel roof like my shop has.
I know Texas is starting to do that more & more, but haven't seen anything this big & expensive with a steel roof.
I think it's a great idea, especially for garages.
Just wondering if anyone has done it yet.

The project I'm on this week is weird.
Part high end homes, and part ghetto, not taking care of their homes with holes in roofs, no maintenance etc.
It made me think a steel roof would help keep these homes from rotting away from the attic down??
Labor is quicker, easier for lower skilled do it your selfers if they need to fix the existing leaking roof and can't afford to hire it out??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

This was some where in Will COunty.
There was a big fire on I-80 so I got off and was zig zaging to my shop and noticed it.
No clue where I was, but it was interesting.
Like I said, I read it was really in for Texas housing, just wondering if it's starting to get hot up here.
My little shack has a small roof leak, so it has me thinking??

Just have to decide on a color??
Dark helps in winter, light helps in summer??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
I should probably price it out actually. The shingle roofs were all around 10-11k, how much more would a steel one be, 15'ish?

Now if it's 20k+ in out. Rather put that towards a Tesla roof at that point.

That's a great point also.
I wonder how cost effective they are now a days??
My thinking is I'm old, let's do it once and never worry again if I do live 20+ years??

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I'm not crazy about how a steel roof looks on a house.

I'm working on addition now and the homeowner was talking about putting a standing seam roof on part of it....accent roof I guess.

There is a metal roofing product out that has the stone epoxied to it, so it looks like shingles. It has like a 50 year warranty.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
With some of the newer products out there you can’t tell they’re steel roofs, at least not from the street. Some of them look really good and really compliment a house. I would definitely look into that when it’s time to replace. I do agree that the standard old style metal roofs make a house look more like a shop or barn, but if done right they really compliment a home.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info