There was a small craft advisory on Lake Superior over the weekend

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Back when I owned a PWC, our group would go out of Whiting IN on the days when there were small craft advisories with 6-8 foot waves as it made for some incredible wave jumping. But the risk is having the hull flood or the engine die out, because it'll end up getting washed into the shore and slammed into the rocks.

This is my favorite picture of myself on a day with some fun waves.

24710753.jpg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Of all the years i've jetskied, i never went on Michigan. Would be killer to ride those waves.

The waves were typically biggest when the winds were from the north, building the waves higher as they came across the lake. This usually meant cold air and water temps in the late spring. Wet suit weather for the most part. I used a dry suit a few times too. It took me a while to get comfortable reading the swells and it wasn't possible to do any high speed riding. It was tiring because you are standing most of the time to see and be seen. But we'd get excited anytime there were "small craft advisories" :D

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The Great Lakes are nothing to fuck with. I've been boating on them for the better part of 15 years, solo for at least 8. I've gone 50 miles away in dead calm water and come home in 5-7 foot waves with small craft advisories. Last year running north from Chicago we ran into one hell of a storm with no other choice but to run straight into it. Rain, hail, lightening, etc... For perspective, what we were running at was pink on the radar. Neon colors are rarely good :rofl: I put everyone in the cabin but myself and one other person as a spotter and we made it in. This picture was taken about 5 minutes from running into it.

19702193_10155626940244589_2657094890485475003_n.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The Great Lakes are nothing to fuck with. I've been boating on them for the better part of 15 years, solo for at least 8. I've gone 50 miles away in dead calm water and come home in 5-7 foot waves with small craft advisories. Last year running north from Chicago we ran into one hell of a storm with no other choice but to run straight into it. Rain, hail, lightening, etc... For perspective, what we were running at was pink on the radar. Neon colors are rarely good :rofl: I put everyone in the cabin but myself and one other person as a spotter and we made it in. This picture was taken about 5 minutes from running into it.

19702193_10155626940244589_2657094890485475003_n.jpg

Holy shit....how big is that boat?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I drove 30 some miles across Lake Michigan in similar conditions last October. HUGE fucking waves. [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] was there.

3-4’ chop and followed by three big cresting rollers 6-8’ tall in a row that would wash over the bow and then over the windshield. I had the throttle buried and couldn’t get over about 14mph because we were climbing so many waves. Boat topped out around 34 normally. Winds were coming out of the east and the lake didn’t stop kicking our ass until we were 2-3 miles off the Indiana side of the shore.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info