Modem wireless router combo for Comcast

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I need something that’s going to put the signal at least everywhere in my house, as it is now upstairs is very spotty and slow, even downstairs on the opposite side of the house from where the router is is spotty, using the Comcast router for now it was good for a week then started to degrade fast, House is around 3000sqft was looking at separate modem and routers but a combo would be fine as long as it gets the signal spread out well, annnnd recommend me stuff

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I need something that’s going to put the signal at least everywhere in my house, as it is now upstairs is very spotty and slow, even downstairs on the opposite side of the house from where the router is is spotty, using the Comcast router for now it was good for a week then started to degrade fast, House is around 3000sqft was looking at separate modem and routers but a combo would be fine as long as it gets the signal spread out well, annnnd recommend me stuff

Just as an FYI, the "faster" WiFi you go with, the shorter the range, even in optimal conditions. This is because they operate on higher frequency bands.

If your house is arranged poorly for WiFi you might have to run two access points to get complete coverage.

A good access point helps a ton, thats true. Its not just how good the AP is. But also how good the transceiver in your portable device is. if your laptops are old/low quality, chances are the antenna's on their WiFi cards are low quality.

Its kind of like using a megaphone to try and talk to a deaf person. Doesn't matter how loud you shout, they still can't hear you.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I like the Arris Surfboards. They were easy to setup and Comcast didn't seem to have any problem with them.

But, most of them are not rated for the 1Gbps Full Duplex plans (aka 1Gbit up, 1Gbit Down). Only the Netgear CM1000 is capable of 1Gbit upload speeds right now as far as I have read.

However, if you don't plan on going to full the Comcast 2Gbit plan then you won't need the CM1000's 1Gbit Upload speeds.

Comcast's regular 1Gbit internet plan only does 1Gbit downloads, their upload speed is limited to 35Mbits.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I always heard the modem/WiFi router combos aren’t as good as buying them separately?
For sure. Always buy separate. Then your modem can be located at the demarc while your wifi access point can be properly mounted elsewhere for the best coverage.

Also modems tend to get hardware updates far less often then current wifi technologies. Plus if you ever upgrade to fiber, youll just need to get a fiber modem and can still use the same wifi router. (Granted the wifi router may not provide fiber speeds but thats for another post)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info