So uh... Does Quickbooks just suck?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I've been tracking my business on manual spreadsheets for years now. It's not fun, it's hard to look stuff up and it's impossible to run reports but at least it's accurate. So after a few years of saying I'd do it, I finally bought Quickbooks and started using it. And it's shit right out of the gate.

My Paypal account has synced once and then never again and my Intuit Payroll account won't export to Quickbooks, another Intuit product, because of course it won't. After exhausting my options online, I decide to call and get the lowest tier third world country call center employee who needs me to explain to her what Paypal is. This isn't a good start.

Quickly she transfers me to the next level up call center employee. Still overseas, still following a script, still doesn't quite know what I'm saying when I tell her Paypal isn't syncing. She calls me Mr Michael and the rage is just bubbling up so I hang up and decide to call their sales number and hey, wouldn't you know it... BEFORE you've given them money there's all the English speaking Americans in the world to talk to. So I tell him what's going on and the moment he realize he wasn't selling me anything he didn't care and literally transferred me mid-sentence to a call center support employee in America... Ok, so the sales guy rage quit on me but at least he sent me to someone useful, right? Wrong.

She was at least able to understand my problem but said there's been an open case on the Paypal issue for a couple weeks now. Wait, what? Your enterprise software that people use to keep track of their books hasn't been able to sync to one of the largest payment processors in the world for weeks? What the fuckity fuck?

Ok, so let's move on to the Payroll issue then. When I go into my Intuit Payroll account to export it to my Intuit Quickbooks account it just sends me to a log-in loop where it has me log into my Quickbooks account but then just refreshes the page and brings me right back to that log in.

So I inquire as to why that's the case and they insist it's super rare anyone tries to merge their accounts. So wait, it's super rare that someone already using Intuit payroll would want to export their data to their Quickbooks account? That makes less than no sense.

So they dig around and she figures out that the reason it's not working is because my new Quickbooks account also has Payroll and I'd have to remove Payroll from that to merge my payroll account with quickbooks and start doing Payroll that way but alas, if they remove Payroll from my Quickbooks account so that my Payroll account can export the data, they can not then add it back again.

So 0 for 2 on even coming close to solving the seemingly basic functionality issues I'm having and even to get that level of incompetence I had to jump through a bunch of hoops.

Did I miss the memo on Quickbooks sucking? If so, what should I be using? [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] what do you use for your business?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
My dad used only excel FOREVER and when I took over, I stuck with it but decided to set up quickbooks online and it took me like 8 tries to get it to work. Adding and removing accounts was a pain and never works right...importing the 2017 bank records was all fucked up and nothing matched properly...I finally said fuck it and have it only recording January 1st, 2018 forward. I still keep an excel setup for all our finances but also back it up with quickbooks so going forward, the accountant can quickly run reports and such from that.

I literally spent 2 days setting up 3, yes a whopping 3 accounts, and it took me hours to get the balances to match what they actually are.

smith876

Displaced Chicagoan
Mar 29, 2004
KC, MO
I use QB to track items for my consulting business, and separately for our income properties. I've always had good luck with it.

When I have issues with bank feeds I go directly to my bank and their business support line. Though I have never referenced the QB support line, perhaps Paypal has an integration help desk??

Are you locked contractually or have you prepaid with Intiut payroll? My brother in law uses the generic and delivered QB PR function for his painting business. I helped him get rolling a few years ago and found the general QB PR side very easy to use, and the two of us were able to get it in place without issue.

Sidenote, when I opened the consulting business right out of the gate I spent 2 hours with an accountant and had them walk me through the company set up in QB as well as the monthly processes/general use of the program. I still feel that is some of the best money spent and would recommend the same to anyone new to QB.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Fuck this company. These assholes lobby the government to basically legislate a need for their product (https://techcrunch.com/2013/03/27/t...millions-to-lobby-against-easier-tax-returns/) and then the product doesn't work.

I've had this for a month now. Originally Chase synced. Paypal did not. And their own product - Intuit Payroll - kept throwing me into a login loop every time I tried to export to Quickbooks Online. I'd gone down this road and given up before, only to return to my silly spreadsheets. I wasn't going to do that again. So I hired someone to help me figure it all out, thinking it was me.

Mind you this guy exists solely because the Quickbooks product is so bad that he needs to exist. He takes 10 hours (and $650) to import data before telling me that Paypal won't sync automatically. His suggestion: ignore Paypal as an external account and just use the incoming deposits from Paypal instead. The only issue is paypal deducts fees from payments and the deposits would represent a net number, not a gross and they also don't take into account any other spending from the account. His workaround for that was to create an invoice for EVERY sale and then add on the fees as income and then immediately deduct them as an expense. I quickly determined that the only business experience this guy had was in showing people how to set up Quickbooks. Pro tip: when you're offering someone a service as an "expert" don't give them choices on how to record income. There's a right and a wrong way to do it. If there's choices that means one of the ways you're suggesting is the wrong fucking way to do it. Crikeys. So he was fired.

And so I tried on my own again. Finally, I got Paypal set up properly. Finally I got the bank accounts syncing properly. For the brief moments everything was syncing and the books were balanced it was glorious. What a fine 18 minutes that was. Today I look and the bank accounts just stopped updating. They give a generic error. Then I take a look at Paypal and it stopped updating yesterday. But Paypal isn't failing to update. Quickbooks online just isn't even attempting to update it. It doesn't recognize it.

I call customer service and after 4 hours collectively today they basically tell me the only thing they can do is add me to a trouble ticket and I can manually update these accounts.

The problem is the Paypal connection issue has been ongoing in some form or fashion for a month now and I'm already attached to that trouble ticket and the only email I get from them every week is one saying that there's no update on the problem and to stay tuned next week. Next week comes, same email. What in the everliving fuck.

Nobody is apologetic. Nobody understands what they're selling. Nobody has the tools to actually solve anything but a simple problem. The lady I just got off the phone with had the nerve to tell me it's technology and sometimes you're just going to have problems. After I told her I could have programmers write me an API for my website in probably an hour that would properly interact with Paypal I proceeded to ask her for a single instance in modern life where ANY service she pays for hasn't worked for a week. Phone, cable, internet, ANYTHING. She couldn't name anything, let alone the largest god damned book keeping company connecting with the largest god damned online payment processor in the world.

I feel like I'm in topsy turvy land. I don't often take the time to report people to state/ federal agencies but in this case I'm going to sit my happy ass down and report these guys to every single official entity that applies. This is a load of bullshit.

Encore: Agent number 4 wanted to insist that the Paypal syncing is a separate third party app. I kept explaining to her that it was not. She kept saying that it was and because of that they had no training for it and no knowledge of how to trouble shoot. I verbally walked her ass over to that app's support page where it said "developer: Intuit", "Supporter: Intuit". Then suddenly it wasn't her fault. It was engineering. Crazyiness. CRAZYNESS!

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Fascinating article, not surprised. Tax biz is big biz without a doubt. The idea of a "no haggle" tax system would be awesome in its own right, except i feel like our deductions would make doing it a headache to get right for the gov.

I wonder if a Paypal ticket would yield better results oddly. The reason I say that is I wonder if they're hitting some sort of rate limit with their API system. Admittedly that's something QB should monitor and establish, but then again I'm an idiot who typically wants to choose my own destiny when it comes to support vs let them figure out the direction. You really should be talking to someone who has access to the back end of the system to make sure that the API calls are going to the right places and not timing out or getting otherwise blocked.

My advice would be call them up, ask for a manager on duty or escalation. I'm sure you got raked over the coals enough for this you may as well get what you paid for.

If you were looking to go back to spread sheets I would wonder if you could get Paypal to send you a daily transaction log digest that would be easy to process, cut and paste into your existing spread sheet system or write a small script to process the data using shell script or perl/python/ruby/your lang of choice.

Thread Info