So my wife bought some NOPE

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Went with the wifey and got a container of bees for her first hive. She took the class, got the bees etc. A container is around 10,000 bees. Kind of interesting rolling around with that in the car. They put em in the hive, they're overall pretty docile but one of the little bastards got me in the neck. It's definitely a very different experience.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That's awesome that she's doing that not only for the bees but for you guys, but FUCK all that noise :rofl: I do like bees though, I respect them for being so important, therefore I will not kill them, wasps on the other hand, those things are pieces of shit.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Bees > Wasps

rT27HZB.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
That's awesome that she's doing that not only for the bees but for you guys, but FUCK all that noise :rofl: I do like bees though, I respect them for being so important, therefore I will not kill them, wasps on the other hand, those things are pieces of shit.

They were dead fucking silent in the car, probably because it's cool out. I shit you not you would have never known there were 10,000 bees in the car with out rolling down the road.

Bees > Wasps

rT27HZB.jpg

:rofl: I fucking hate yellow jackets I tend to shove gunpowder from my reloading cleanup down the nest holes and light it up at night.

I’d love to have a beehive! Whenever I move to the sticks I’m for sure getting one

Rough estimate 700-1K to get started with a fully operational hive, dress and gear.

Cool ill take some honey

We'll figure something out. May be a year before we see any. Each hive is supposedly good for 70ish lbs a harvest and you can get 2 harvests a year out of an established hive. Unlike my busted ass hobbies this one may amortize its self :rofl: Going rate is supposedly ~$10/lb, and then you get quite a bit of wax at a similar price. I dabbled in candle making a long time ago may get back into it. May get into mead as well. I used to do wine so it wouldn't be a bad way to go. To make a 5 gallon batch of mead is likely around 1.5 to 2 gallon of honey based on the very prelim recipies I've seen.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Ffffffffffff that

A few people around here have them and we get crazy amounts of fucking bees in the summer
Probably have 50 or so come down my chimney and in the house this summer. Hate that shit, thank god for the Orkin man! Those fuckers get drugged pretty good so they fly around drunk and easier to kill

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If it flies and stings, it dies.

Last last summer, we found wasps populating a soffit section around a gutter, by our back door. And of course I was sent out there to eradicate them because everyone else in the house is a fucking pussy, and, well, I hate them...

Anyway, waited until about 11pm on night, got up on the ladder and proceeded to empty a can of the foaming killer shit into the nest. However, two escaped in my attack and nailed me on the arm. Little fuckers. So I then emptied can #2 into the nest. Yea, much fallout from a nuclear war, they won't be back there...

With that said, my F-I-L now has a hive. I don't go anywhere near that corner of his property. A whole bunch of NOPE there...

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
If it flies and stings, it dies.

Last last summer, we found wasps populating a soffit section around a gutter, by our back door. And of course I was sent out there to eradicate them because everyone else in the house is a fucking pussy, and, well, I hate them...

Anyway, waited until about 11pm on night, got up on the ladder and proceeded to empty a can of the foaming killer shit into the nest. However, two escaped in my attack and nailed me on the arm. Little fuckers. So I then emptied can #2 into the nest. Yea, much fallout from a nuclear war, they won't be back there...

With that said, my F-I-L now has a hive. I don't go anywhere near that corner of his property. A whole bunch of NOPE there...
If I find any fuckers in my yard or a hive I put a bug zapper light as close as I can do it. Leave that bitch on 24/7.

I did it at my old house in the front and forgot to turn it off and wouldn't you know it there was dead bees all over the ground in a 6 foot diameter. I also bought a fogger link and leave it on the deck. In the summer I'll fog the back yard once a week.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Ffffffffffff that

A few people around here have them and we get crazy amounts of fucking bees in the summer
Probably have 50 or so come down my chimney and in the house this summer. Hate that shit, thank god for the Orkin man! Those fuckers get drugged pretty good so they fly around drunk and easier to kill

You have water near your house? Also sure they're not hornets or yellow jackets?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
You have water near your house? Also sure they're not hornets or yellow jackets?

Not sure what they were but big and ugly motherfuckers. I think they were wasps from what someone said but I don't know how to tell the difference.
I have a little pond near the house. Do they normally gather near there?

Here is my rule. if it flies it dies.
I go to town with my $4 electric tennis racket from harbor freight

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Not sure what they were but big and ugly motherfuckers. I think they were wasps from what someone said but I don't know how to tell the difference.
I have a little pond near the house. Do they normally gather near there?

Here is my rule. if it flies it dies.
I go to town with my $4 electric tennis racket from harbor freight

If it's really anything over 5/8 long those aren't honey bees.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Just a quick update on this, I've been into the hive twice now. It's kind of freaky at some level having all those bees fly around you, but it's not terrible.

I've had the hives for about 2-3 weeks now and there's already significant progress in building out. We got to see the queens on both frames and stuff looks healthy.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Went into the hive again today, we had to remove some excess cone. They're building out like motherfuckers (I need to get some pics up.) We had the kiddo suited up and helping out, he was having fun with the smoker. After we're done removing some excess comb from the edges, I took a bit of the honey off the knife and tried it. Amazing is all I can say. Then I gave him some, and he was licking the frickin hive knife. Totally awesome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info