New Assignment and Promotion - Moving to St. Louis, need recommendations!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Was notified of my next assignment today from the Air Force. Also found out my promotion date to make Major is at the same timeframe (August), so pretty pumped. Hard work is paying off!

My wife and I will be moving to the greater St. Louis area come August. I’m sure there are some on here that have been to the area/lived in the area/ or at least have more information than I have at this point. This will be our 5th assignment in the USAF and pretty pumped to be coming back to the Midwest. It will actually be the closest I’ve lived to where my family is (Wheaton) since high school and my family is equally as excited to get us closer. Maybe I’ll even be able to finally make a meet or something of the sorts.

Anyway, who has recommendations of places to live, good/bad areas of that metro, and any general advice for the STL area? We are probably looking to rent again as we will only be around for 3 years and then moving again as is the life of the military. Planning on possibly trying to have our first child as well, but schools won’t be a factor as we’ll be long gone before K-5 starts.

What say you?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Congrats on the promotion!

There's a LOT of awesome restaurants/bars in st louis.

Broadway oyster bar is insanely good and a good time, just always slammed I think.

if you enjoy beer, there are iTap's there, two i believe and they are awesome for beers & you just order delivery from wherever for food.

Central west end has a bunch of awesome bars/restaurants places, i think it may be "pricier" but it's legit

Capitalist pig is a BBQ place right by the brewery and it's really cool for brunch and has good bbq.

https://www.capitalistpigbbq.com/menu/menu-2/

ya. you'll enjoy stl

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=l...!3d38.643096957579566!3m2!1i1500!2i867!4f13.1

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Going to Scott? Plan on living in MO or IL? I lived in Belleville, IL for a while and worked at DISA and it's not a terrible area. East STL is pretty rough, stop signs are merely "suggestions". The greater STL area though, once away from the city, has the "country" feel to it similar to the far, far, FAR northwest/west "burbs" up here. A lot of the guys I worked with lived west/south of STL and commuted into the AFB and they loved the area they were in.

I'm not too familiar with STL proper other than a couple bars a buddy and I went to on the weekends. Didn't spend enough time down there to really take it all in.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Start flying a B1-B, pick me up at Palwaukee Airport kthnx

But seriously, congrats. Only thing I would say is that I have a buddy that currently lives/works in East St. Louis, and you probably don't want to live there.

i came here to say stay away form East St Louis.

my In-Laws live in Troy, its a quiet little town 45ish min outside STL.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I have friends in St. Charles (from a former employer that relocated our finance department down there), and it seemed like a nice place. A lot of the sub-divisions (at least where they were), were new and considerably cheaper than here.

Really anything outside the 270 belt seems/seemed fairly decent whenever I'm down there.

I bought the GTO from Behlmann which at the time was in Hazelwood right off 270.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Going to Scott? Plan on living in MO or IL? I lived in Belleville, IL for a while and worked at DISA and it's not a terrible area. East STL is pretty rough, stop signs are merely "suggestions". The greater STL area though, once away from the city, has the "country" feel to it similar to the far, far, FAR northwest/west "burbs" up here. A lot of the guys I worked with lived west/south of STL and commuted into the AFB and they loved the area they were in.

I'm not too familiar with STL proper other than a couple bars a buddy and I went to on the weekends. Didn't spend enough time down there to really take it all in.

Nope not going to Scott. I’ll actually be working IN St.Louis, close to Lambert Airport. I don’t want to get too detailed publicly on the job though. So I am planning on living in actual St. Louis, or the burbs. I have for sure heard bad things about East and also just north of the city itself.

So far have heard lots of good things about Clayton, Central West End, St. Charles (even though it’s further from the city), University City, and Brentwood.

Scott will be my closest serving base but I probably won’t be there all that often.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You'll be right by St. Charles and Hazelwood then if you'll be working out at the airport. Brentwood is a bit south of Lambert. However east of Lambert is where infamous Ferguson is. So again, I say anything outside of the 270 loop around the area is generally the nicer areas.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://www.wildflowerstl.com/

Brasserie -by niche

Taste St. Louis

all ridiculously awesome restaurants right next to each other basically.

also, if you're moving there, ditch vehicles that you like, it's basically not if your car will be broken into, but moreover when :rofl:

my sister lives down there and she had a monte carlo that was broken into probably 4-5 times... i mean with non tinted windows and nothing in it even.

her truck has been broken into 1-2 times too i think now at this point.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
that brasserie restaurant- for brunch... brisket tartine was amazing.

Brunch.jpg

taste bar has a really solid whiskey/bourbon/gin list.

http://tastebarstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Taste-Winter-Menu-cocktails-2017.pdf

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So, I went and looked up the friends house in St. Charles;

Zillow has the house at $377k. It is a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2-story house with 2,700 sq ft. and .35 acres.

What does something newer (this was built in 2004), in a decent neighborhood around here with roughly 2,700 sq. ft. go for?

Also, looking at his property taxes, it's nearly $2k less annually than mine. Another thing, his value has gone up since they purchased it in 2004.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Nope not going to Scott. I’ll actually be working IN St.Louis, close to Lambert Airport. I don’t want to get too detailed publicly on the job though. So I am planning on living in actual St. Louis, or the burbs. I have for sure heard bad things about East and also just north of the city itself.

So far have heard lots of good things about Clayton, Central West End, St. Charles (even though it’s further from the city), University City, and Brentwood.

Scott will be my closest serving base but I probably won’t be there all that often.

No worries, that's the only place I know of since I worked there. If you're going to be working in STL proper, absolutely live in MO (because fuck IL). From what I've heard living down there and read from this thread, it seems to be great anywhere besides the areas already mentioned.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Start flying a B1-B, pick me up at Palwaukee Airport kthnx

But seriously, congrats. Only thing I would say is that I have a buddy that currently lives/works in East St. Louis, and you probably don't want to live there.

Haha, I wish! I have a friend who's a B-1 driver but he's down at Dyess AFB in TX. Got a tour of that airframe once back in 2008, insanely loud.

oh oh oh, down by the stadium is a fucking blast also, card baseball games are a good time.

Still going to be a Cubs fan FO LYFE. But I've heard they are fun games to go to.

You'll be right by St. Charles and Hazelwood then if you'll be working out at the airport. Brentwood is a bit south of Lambert. However east of Lambert is where infamous Ferguson is. So again, I say anything outside of the 270 loop around the area is generally the nicer areas.

Yeah I think that very much applies especially in the norther part. South part of inner 270 isn't bad but it's a longer commute. Clayton is actually super ritzy, but I think it's out of my price range and my BAH.

also, if you're moving there, ditch vehicles that you like, it's basically not if your car will be broken into, but moreover when :rofl:

my sister lives down there and she had a monte carlo that was broken into probably 4-5 times... i mean with non tinted windows and nothing in it even.

her truck has been broken into 1-2 times too i think now at this point.

Haha, I'm pretty sure this applies to downtown STL, I haven't heard of really high crime in the outlying burbs, but downtown I've been told "isn't the safest place," and not to be there much after 9 pm. It's a shame, hopefully they keep trying to clean it up as they've been doing for the past 5 years.

Either way, at least I could possibly get something RWD now if I wanted since I'm leaving the mountains. :tear:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Haha, I wish! I have a friend who's a B-1 driver but he's down at Dyess AFB in TX. Got a tour of that airframe once back in 2008, insanely loud.

Still going to be a Cubs fan FO LYFE. But I've heard they are fun games to go to.

Yeah I think that very much applies especially in the norther part. South part of inner 270 isn't bad but it's a longer commute. Clayton is actually super ritzy, but I think it's out of my price range and my BAH.

Haha, I'm pretty sure this applies to downtown STL, I haven't heard of really high crime in the outlying burbs, but downtown I've been told "isn't the safest place," and not to be there much after 9 pm. It's a shame, hopefully they keep trying to clean it up as they've been doing for the past 5 years.

Either way, at least I could possibly get something RWD now if I wanted since I'm leaving the mountains. :tear:

the 9pm thing is definitely an exaggeration

downtown bars are a riot and there is definitely a police presence um... "where the money is... " ive been pretty sauced there before and walked out of a bar at closing and bought taco's from a street cart and it's just fine.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

they get really bad ice storms. fyi.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info