Inexpensive Long Term Car Storage?

uofipilot

Regular
Jun 29, 2008
Going to be moving out of the country for three years starting July 1 through June 2021. I'm selling both my daily drivers, but would rather not sell my other two cars, as I'm a little attached to them (1990 Mark VII and a 2003 Cobra). Looking for cheap storage in the north or northwest burbs. I'm out in the Barrington area, so something out that way (or further out in the sticks) is what I'm looking for. Heated would be nice (doesn't need to be in the 70s, but would rather it not be just a barn).

Please let me know if you know of cheap storage facilities, friends that have outbuildings that have some extra space, whatever.

I'd rather not sell these cars, but also don't want to pay a few grand/year. If I have to do that, I'd probably just sell them, save the extra cash, and buy something cooler when I get back.

Thanks.

dom418

Regular
Dec 2, 2008
I’d personally sell them. It’s not good to have them sit for years. I get the attachment but the cars aren’t rare. You’ll probably spend $1000 to $1500 per car per year for storage. That’s almost $9k in fees over three years

uofipilot

Regular
Jun 29, 2008
Yeah, I certainly get that...$3600 over 3 years I'd maybe be ok with, but $9k, not gonna happen. The Lincoln is a 1990 that has 21k miles on it and was the last thing my grandpa bought before he died in late 89 when I was 4 years old, so that one is very rare in my mind. It pretty much just sits anyway, so another 3 years isn't going to ruin it. The money I'd get selling it won't be all that much because nobody wants a 28 year old Lincoln, so I'd rather not sell that one. The Cobra will likely go up for sale, if anyone is looking for a pristine 03 with 25k miles.

Anyway, still hoping I can find someone with a garage / shop / outbuilding / hanger with some extra space.

uofipilot

Regular
Jun 29, 2008
[MENTION=7589]uofipilot[/MENTION] look in the boonie's for storage options.

my boat is in a 36'? long 12' wide 12' tall space for $40 a month.... but that's in kentucky.

but you could likely fit two cars in their creatively i'd think... and then that's only $480 a year.

My in-laws live in nowhere Tennessee and store a bunch of shit down there (boat, camper, and some other stuff) for next to nothing. Considered getting the cars down there. Might be a bit of a hassle to get them there, but worth it if I can find something like that.

Thanks -

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My in-laws live in nowhere Tennessee and store a bunch of shit down there (boat, camper, and some other stuff) for next to nothing. Considered getting the cars down there. Might be a bit of a hassle to get them there, but worth it if I can find something like that.

Thanks -

i mean if it's a once down thing and back in a few years it'd be worth it.

put an ad on Uship and see what happens, i bet it could be done really cheap.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You'd sell a mint 25k mile cobra rather than driving it to TN and letting it sit? NFW!

Get a friend, road trip them down there, party in nashville for a couple nights, drop the cars off and fly back.

IMO in 10 years you'll regret selling a low mile cobra just because you didn't want to drive 7 hours or pay a little money in storage.

uofipilot

Regular
Jun 29, 2008
You'd sell a mint 25k mile cobra rather than driving it to TN and letting it sit? NFW!

Get a friend, road trip them down there, party in nashville for a couple nights, drop the cars off and fly back.

IMO in 10 years you'll regret selling a low mile cobra just because you didn't want to drive 7 hours or pay a little money in storage.

Totally agree, unless I get a GT500 or something like that when I get back. I was sad when I sold my 97 Cobra for about 2 weeks till I bought the 03. The sadness went away really quick. I think the same thing would happen if I got a GT500.

Still looking to keep the 03 though. I love it and I know it hasn't been ragged out.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL

Thanks -

I have family in TN as well, plenty of long term storage and the weather isn't nuts. i can call around if you like

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info