Costco Returns

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Looks like the guy removed his FB post, but I saw it. Actually had a lady returning her Christmas tree

Report: Woman returns dead Christmas tree to Costco, gets full refund | FOX 61

Costco is known for a generous return policy.

The warehouse club allows members to return almost anything they’ve purchased at any time for a full refund (there is a 90-day limit on electronics).

A woman in California put that return policy to the test when she reportedly returned her dead Christmas tree and got a full refund.

Indianapolis radio host Dave Smiley posted screen grabs from a Facebook page of a California man who claimed to have witnessed the entire incident.

The man claimed that Costco employees did confirm she bought the tree at their store and gave her the refund. He said she was “shamed to a small degree,” but wrote, “I don’t think it fazed her because she has no conscience.”

A picture accompanying the post showed a woman with a red “X” over her face standing with a dead Christmas tree at the Costco customer service counter.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
If that’s the policy then good for them. Used to get overly used shit at performance all the time. Gave them a credit or exchange and that was that. Only time I gave a fuck is when it was some gross clothing or something, it did not go back to corporate. Just straight to the trash.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
You can return dead shrubs, flowers, trees whatever to menards and home depot if they die.

People would decorate their house for the summer and never take care of it and then return it every fall. Same peope did it every year.

But those shrubs, flowers and trees you buy don't have their roots cut off like a christmas tree does at the time of purchase...

You were kinda close with the analogy but not...

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Costco is notorious for their loose return policy. Lots of brick & mortar are loosening up their return policies, another attempt to keep customers happy in the age of online shopping.

When I worked at Ace hardware we joked it was ace the rental place based on the stuff people always tried returning. And most returned product itself was fine, just not salable because people savagely destroy the packaging. Tools were always #1 return, but the best were those trying to return used sewer rodders, toilet plungers, etc. Product literally caked in raw sewage and expecting a full refund :rofl:

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Some people are simply a waste of air.

We should start returning clothes after they no longer fit.

Other things to return after they've lived their usefulness

Halloween costumes
Unused halloween candy
Dead pumpkins
Food that spoils AFTER the expiration date

That should be totally allowed, right?

Look at it like this. You're a business, I choose to shop with you and spend $5,000/yr avg.

I buy Halloween candy from you and return $19 worth of it and you accept it, so I come back to you, year over year, to spend that $5,000. You profit $4,981 the year following my candy return. You ate $19 in merchandise to profit because I came back because I am allowed to return that candy.

I come to return that Halloween candy to you and you deny my return, which is meaningful to me, so I stop shopping with you. You profit $0 from me next year because you wouldn't eat $19 the year before.

Putting aside how ridiculous people are, which scenario makes sense to you as a business owner?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Look at it like this. You're a business, I choose to shop with you and spend $5,000/yr avg.

I buy Halloween candy from you and return $19 worth of it and you accept it, so I come back to you, year over year, to spend that $5,000. You profit $4,981 the year following my candy return. You ate $19 in merchandise to profit because I came back because I am allowed to return that candy.

I come to return that Halloween candy to you and you deny my return, which is meaningful to me, so I stop shopping with you. You profit $0 from me next year because you wouldn't eat $19 the year before.

Putting aside how ridiculous people are, which scenario makes sense to you as a business owner?

Pretty detailed argument.

That is in an ideal world. All moral/principal and having a soul aside, it makes sense to keep you as a customer.

That's not really the case here and isn't a "fair" argument toward the point. The candy you're probably speaking of is still in the bag, and has not been used.

The tree the woman returned, was probably decorated and heavily used, and eventually died.

The same thing to relate to the tree would be if you tried returning an open bag of candy with the majority of the contents being gone.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Pretty detailed argument.

That is in an ideal world. All moral/principal and having a soul aside, it makes sense to keep you as a customer.

That's not really the case here and isn't a "fair" argument toward the point. The candy you're probably speaking of is still in the bag, and has not been used.

The tree the woman returned, was probably decorated and heavily used, and eventually died.

The same thing to relate to the tree would be if you tried returning an open bag of candy with the majority of the contents being gone.

Does it matter if it's fair if both parties agree? In this case, Costco allowing the return and sticking to its policy, and the customer getting what they want?

PS: To your last argument, I know pet stores (Pet Supplies Plus and Chewy to name two) that will take back, or tell you to donate, a half eaten bag of dog food because your pup didn't like it. They do it to keep their customers happy and keep them coming back.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
The shit you read on TCG sometimes. It’s ok to cheat systems I guess. What the fuck has happened to HONEST people and principals and morals.

i mean :trump: is a great business person because he filed for bankruptcy multiple times and "cheated" the system like any good business person should. :jg: Just the world we are living in these days. :dunno:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Does it matter if it's fair if both parties agree? In this case, Costco allowing the return and sticking to its policy, and the customer getting what they want?

PS: To your last argument, I know pet stores (Pet Supplies Plus and Chewy to name two) that will take back, or tell you to donate, a half eaten bag of dog food because your pup didn't like it. They do it to keep their customers happy and keep them coming back.
Performance bike (that I worked at) legit had a 50% return in Merch every year. People love shopping there and there’s a reason it the #1 bike shop in terms of size

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Performance bike (that I worked at) legit had a 50% return in Merch every year. People love shopping there and there’s a reason it the #1 bike shop in terms of size

Yep! I bought a straight bar road bike and wanted hoods, asked about their return policy even though the bike was used for a season, he said bring it in whenever and we'll work something out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info