Looking for a little feedback

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
I am running on 2 hours of sleep right now, so please excuse the mess that is below.

Ok, so currently I have been at my place of work for two years. The industry that i am in (logistics/import/brokerage) i have been in for 13 years. The "perks" of my company are 4 weeks vacation off the bat, 2 weeks pay as a Christmas bonus every year, and the company is paying for us to go to Orlando this year for a weekend (this is not an every year thing so i don't really count it). We are in by 8:30am and out at 5pm no matter what. I like the customers i deal with. Many of them i have an outside of work relationship with. I enjoy what i do even though it is frustrating as fuck a lot of the time.

There is no room for advancement here. There is us six and then our manager. There are no supervisors or leads. My manager has never done our job. He was a sales guy before and got put into this manager role in a "right place, right time" type of situation. The old president retired and he just kind of took over. He hasn't the first clue on what we do or what needs to be done if we need him. I know i want more but at the same time it feel like it could be a total crap shoot if i leave to this other company. What if i don't like it, etc.

My current place of work has a lot to be desired but it's still one of the best places that i have worked. My coworkers are like family. They're the best group of people that i have every worked with.

I have been talking with other industry friends who are hiring managers at other companies and they are willing to take me on in a leadership/management role and bump my pay up by at least 15K, plus same time off and same hours. Before you say it, yes I have it in writing.

:greasy:

Cliffs - Current job is good but new opportunity has presented itself with more money and title.

In the words of the clash, "should i stay or should i go."

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
Where do you see the most security? Take from the “Manager” title position I hold. Money isn’t everything and when shit rolls down the manager is first to get the boot. It’s all accountability. Yes more money is great but over time money will come where you are and more importantly understand while that grass can look greener it could be quicksand under it. There are many days I think of damn I should have never gone into management but when I saw strokes moving up and the direction the place would go it was a no brainer. Remember you don’t want to sacrifice your health and sanity for money. 15k is a lot of money don’t get me wrong but like my current position ALOT came with it I was never told about. It was for good reason. If you see the whole picture before you will never fill these positions...lol

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
^good response and take. Thanks for sharing that.

I just got offered the job at an importer (Medline) as their import coordinator. They ran down the list of the benefits etc and it's 1 week less vacation then I currently have, 8k more (Not 15k like previously stated), and yeah.

They have some cool perks and is a big company but that doesn't always equate for better. I don't think I'll find a group at this new potential job like the group I currently have and work with. I'm leaning more toward no on taking the job.

Like stated above, it could just look like a better gig but there could be quicksand underneath. I've been reading reviews on glassdoor and various other sites and it's a mixed bag.

My current job is pretty cake and I'm used to everything. Maybe I'm just chasing dollar signs and not realizing how good I kinda have it here.

Sigh.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I've been happy and poor, and miserable and rich.

I'll take happy and poor.

You learn to live around poor and actually spend more time with people because you got less shit to drag you down.
Eventually the miserable eats you out from the inside. Selling out FEELS like selling out.

If you are warm and happy in a cozy place, that is a wonderful thing.

I've left places I loved for double the money and been miserable within a years time.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I don’t think comfort in a gig is a good reason to stay at a job, in fact I think it is one of the worst things. Complacency doesn’t bring out the best in what you can achieve.

With that being said, $8K is WAY too tow to jump ship to another company. Taking a week less of vacation sucks too.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I've been happy and poor, and miserable and rich.

I'll take happy and poor.

You learn to live around poor and actually spend more time with people because you got less shit to drag you down.

Eventually the miserable eats you out from the inside. Selling out FEELS like selling out.

If you are warm and happy in a cozy place, that is a wonderful thing.

I've left places I loved for double the money and been miserable within a years time.

This is something I should have touched on as well. Money isn’t the end all be all in job choices. I think enjoying what you do is most important. When you are spending a large portion of your life at work you need to be doing something that is rewarding and gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Mike - it’s this simple, if you want to go into Management then take the position. If you want to become a a Master at your trade, then continue that path through continuous education / work experience (eventually becoming a Yoda in your field).

Money typically evens out at the end.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info