Garage Air Compressors

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I'm running the older version of this one, think I caught it on sale back in the day for just shy of $450.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...GFoAtF_tT6kl9KX3xyKcKRyKh4IoZimRoCmY4QAvD_BwE

I've abused the hell out of it when I did powdercoating, hundreds of hours of mediablasting parts prepping for the pc. Honestly with how much pnuematic tools I run and painting in the future I would have loved a 2 stage or better compressor.

Now that being said, you need to define what you want to be doing with your air compressor and size it appropriately. Figure out the max cfm you will be using and I'd recommend going 20% more. The trick to know about sizing air compressors is what your tools will be using. Air tools, blasting cabinet's painting whatever. The compressor should run 1/3rd the time or less your using your air tools. So capacity is a not so much the concern but more about the cfm at a specified PSI.

I also would not look at oil less, they are louder and are prone to getting hotter if run longer. Get yourself a good filter system and you won't have any worries.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I have a 29 gallon upright from Eastwood. It works okay for the price. I think I paid less than $379 when it was on sale around the holidays. It does struggle to keep up with me using a die grinder to clean welds if I'm not pausing often enough. Otherwise it's fine for backyard mechanic type work. It does everything I need it to do.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My Craftsman Professional 27 gallon is not too good. It has an all-aluminum pump that trashed itself after a few years. It's also stupid loud. I keep it in my basement with the plumbing ran to the garage, so the noise doesn't bother me much. I replaced the pump last year, but I would like to add some tank volume in the future.

Chris91LX

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 2, 2008
Crystal Lake
I've had this Craftsman 5.5hp 30 gal compressor for like 20 years. It's hooked up to a 50ft hose reel I mounted on the ceiling and has been great for ~99% of my projects. Mostly used for automotive air tools for working on the car, impacts, grinders, sanders etc., but it's loud as hell and I'd gladly spend a couple hundred more for that $500 Husky unit posted above just for the noise reduction (as my family would as well). But this bastard just won't die. LOL

With that said, I've been slowly transitioning over to mostly corded and cordless tools the last few years. Typically I only use it now for die grinders and angle grinders on metal projects. It is still really handy for keeping the tires up on the cars and bikes and filling the blow up pool and such

MVIMG_20200609_133654.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I've had this Craftsman 5.5hp 30 gal compressor for like 20 years. It's hooked up to a 50ft hose reel I mounted on the ceiling and has been great for ~99% of my projects. Mostly used for automotive air tools for working on the car, impacts, grinders, sanders etc., but it's loud as hell and I'd gladly spend a couple hundred more for that $500 Husky unit posted above just for the noise reduction (as my family would as well). But this bastard just won't die. LOL

With that said, I've been slowly transitioning over to mostly corded and cordless tools the last few years. Typically I only use it now for die grinders and angle grinders on metal projects. It is still really handy for keeping the tires up on the cars and bikes and filling the blow up pool and such

Had that exact same compressor and it was a work horse... and loud.

IF your referencing that $500 husky that I have, it's not quiet either, it is quieter than the craftsman but not by a whole lot. Any of these belt driven piston compressors are going to be noisy but they are economical for the performance of a home garage. I am always shopping around for a 2 stage 19+ cfm compressor as that is the minimum I need nowadays and man does the price point jump a considerable amount.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info