Wind/solar power

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
Anyone have any experience with either? I am starting research into these. My house is all electric and if I can find a good solution it would greatly help.

Also looking at putting in a fireplace insert for wood burning. But the 5 grand that will cost only helps in the winter(which is when the electric bill skyrockets though cause electric heat sucks).

I've looked a decent bit online, but haven't found any really good articles and options though, so I'm looking for suggestions

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm sure the payback period is lengthy. I'm curious how long the average homeowner would need before they see a return on the investment. When my previous company put out a solar array, they said it would take about ten to twenty years for it to pay for itself.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
Yeah, it is something in the twenty year period. We won't move again, so on that front, it makes perfect sense.

I am looking into wind and solar together due to the fact that we aren't in a always sunny location and I am out in the country enough that the breeze is generally pretty good

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
I found a solar calculator online. Based on my kwh from 2017, I need $40k after all the rebates.

Granted that is for my total consumption, which would be all of my utility bills. This is inaccurate though because I easily use 2-3x electricity in the winter months than summer months, so I would have excess in the summer, but not enough in the winter

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
As you guys have said, the time you are going to spend in the home is important as far as getting your money back. You won't get 100% of the value and might get little extra for the mod if you sell the home. Depends on if you find a buyer who really wants it.

If you can make so much power you can sell some back to the electric co., that helps, too.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Breakeven would be about an average lifetime to convert your home here... Any of you planning on living another 70-80 years, and in your same residence?

Until renewable energy becomes more cost-beneficial, and companies can compete with each other to drive the prices down, your traditional electric company is going to be cheaper.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Just helped my neighbor build a soccer field behind a guys house.
He has a big ass solar panel.
It supplied 80% of his power for November, and they predict it will be over 100% in the warm month's.
He's claiming 10 years to pay it off, and it was well under $20,000?? investment after all the kick backs from the government??

He did the install completely himself, so that's probably a huge savings.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
As you guys have said, the time you are going to spend in the home is important as far as getting your money back. You won't get 100% of the value and might get little extra for the mod if you sell the home. Depends on if you find a buyer who really wants it.

If you can make so much power you can sell some back to the electric co., that helps, too.

not exactly "sell back" but they credit you... like you can't make money off of it

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
There's a war going on over the rights of citizens to get cheap solar power. Big energy corps are doing everything they can to prevent its spread.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-koch-brothers-dirty-war-on-solar-power-20160211

FPL Blamed for Funding Anti-Solar Robocalls in South Miami, Mayor Philip Stoddard Says | Miami New Times

Florida voters say no to misleading solar amendment | Miami Herald

You guys notice where FPL targeted their anti solar ads? Miami and other FL big cities. They're going after the dumbass welfare types for their anti solar votes. To Florida's credit, people saw through their very complicated fake amendment and voted for the good one.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
You guys are way off. I have solar in Illinois. I've had it since summer of 2016. My projected breakeven is 2027.

There is no "standard" breakeven point for solar based on location alone.

If anyone has any specific questions about solar in Illinois, I'll answer in this thread or via PM.

I will say that solar is much more beneficial in climates like Illinois than you might guess.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
I'd like to see your tree exposure. Thats where I'm worried. I live in an established neighborhood with heavy tree coverage.

I
9f7ef2e020ff416b62a3660ff7ed51f8.jpg

That's at almost 7pm in June. No blockage at all for me in the summer. Very minor on the corners early in morning and late in afternoon in fall. Once leaves fall off it's hardly an issue. The Oak on the right will eventually be removed since it was planted far too close to house by previous owner.

The key is to have a large roof pitch that faces SSW with little to no shade.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
What about winters too with Snow coverage.

All it takes is a sunny day after snow falls to melt it off. You might miss a few days here and there in the winter but the system isn't making a ton of power in the middle of winter anyway with the short sunlight days and low sun.

The moneymaker months are March-October I've had many 50kw days in the spring and early summer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info