Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The entire trilogy actually but I only got TDK. If you have a 4k / HDR tv, you owe it to yourself to pick this up. The IMAX scenes are absolutely stunning, so much so that when it switches back to the standard cameras, it looks like shit for a few seconds.

The black levels are amazing and again, the IMAX scenes are just unreal.

This is a great showcase if you have the means to play UltraHD discs (Xbox One X or standalone player).

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Here's what real or fake 4k had to say about it

This is the real deal. Everything was digitally shot in 4K or the original 35/70mm film negative was scanned in 4K and all the mastering/editing was done in 4K. This is one of the rare examples of VFX work being rendered in 4K.

I bolded the VFX part cuz even on 4k discs vfx is almost NEVER rendered in 4k.

I think after I collect all my xmas duckets I may just order the whole Nolan 4k collection. Thats got all 3 batmans, inception, dunkirk, interstellar, and the prestige.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The chart also shows that a 4k upgrade is not worth it if you are sitting more than 6' away and have a 50" TV. Your eyes won't be able to tell the difference. Ultra HD only makes sense if you want a really big screen and plan on sitting closer to it. Learn more about 4k UHD.
Screen Size Optimal Distance
(1080p) Optimal Distance
(4k)
25" 3.2' (0.98 m) 1.5' (0.46 m)
30" 3.8' (1.16 m) 1.7' (0.52 m)
35" 4.4' (1.35 m) 2' (0.61 m)
40" 5.1' (1.56 m) 2.3' (0.71 m)
45" 5.7' (1.74 m) 2.6' (0.8 m)
50" 6.3' (1.93 m) 2.9' (0.89 m)
55" 7' (2.14 m) 3.2' (0.98 m)
60" 7.6' (2.32 m) 3.8' (1.16 m)
65" 8.2' (2.5 m) 4.1' (1.25 m)
70" 8.9' (2.72 m) 4.4' (1.35 m)

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The link above is full of shit. I noticed a definite difference, but again, HDR will be the one that makes you go wow... And unfortunately outside of some streaming shows, you won't be able to experience that without a uhd player or a hdr capable gaming console.

If you're in the market to upgrade tho, a 4K / HDR TV is a no brainer.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The link above is full of shit. I noticed a definite difference, but again, HDR will be the one that makes you go wow... And unfortunately outside of some streaming shows, you won't be able to experience that without a uhd player or a hdr capable gaming console.

If you're in the market to upgrade tho, a 4K / HDR TV is a no brainer.

why's it full of shit though?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
B/c the link is saying you wont notice a difference after a certain distance, something I thought was going to happen...so much so that I moved my couches closer before pushing them back to 8/9ft for room aesthetics. You will notice a 1080 to 4k difference but even when youre super close, 4k isnt mind blowing. HDR is the real difference.

However, a lot also depends on the quality of 1080 tv to 4k tv. My sharp was huge but the panel was shit...so moving to the LG was a HUGE difference.

If you already have a plasma, for example, you might not notice a huge jump in picture quality. For me, even at the distance Im at from the tv, 4k is noticeable for both gaming and movies (and even streaming). Its a much more clear and crisp picture. Hell, even cable being upscaled lookes great.

Heres a good example: I'm a home theater snob so I notice everything (good or bad). My buddy could give two shits. After setting everything up and helping me mount it on the wall, I flipped on cable (HBO) and Aliens was playing. Its an old movie. He was blown away by the picture quality and the upscaling. It looked like a modern movie. He continues to be blown away by both SDR and UHD content.

My point is, the distance thing is a general guide but definitely is a "your mileage will vary" type of thing.

Hopefully I didnt ramble.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/visual_acuity.htm

UHD viewing distance recommendations

The fun really starts with the Ultra High Definition viewing distance recommendations. The previous part already showed that the SMPTE and THX recommendations have a wide field of view, which results in very large TV’s for what most people consider a comfortable viewing distance. But those are still quite narrow though when you compare them with the 60° HFOV of 4K and the insanely wide 100° HFOV of 8K. Using the 250 cm viewing distance example the previous section ended with results in a 130.4” (331.2 cm) screen diagonal for 4K and a 269.2” (683.7 cm) screen diagonal for 8K. The viewing distance can also be written as percentage of the dimensions of the screen for a certain HFOV:

For 4K this gives a viewing distance of:

87% of screen width
154% of screen height
75% of screen diagonal

And for 8K this gives a viewing distance of:

42% of screen width
75% of screen height
37% of screen diagonal

Especially for 8K you often see the viewing distance specified as percentage or fraction of the screen height. You might notice that the values for 4K are about twice as high as those for 8K. That’s because the viewing distance recommendations for UHD are pretty much solely based on visual acuity and 8K is twice as wide and twice as high as 4K. For VA = 1.0 the optimal viewing angle would be 58.37° for 4K and 96.33° for 8K. These values were just rounded up to 60° and 100° respectively. At those angles the horizontal retina resolution for VA = 1.0 would be 3970 pixels for 4K and 8194 for 8K. If you think about that you only have maximum visual acuity in the foveola, 8K seems quite a waste; you can only see a circle with a 69 pixel diameter with maximum accuracy at the time out of 7680x4320.

Even if you move your focus by moving your eyes or turning your head you still can’t see the maximum detail of resolutions wider than 3438 pixels if your head is straight in the front of the centre of the screen (VA = 1.0). Even for VA=1.6 that’s still only 5500 pixels. For resolutions wider than that you’d really have to move your head sideways to see all the detail. To see all detail of 8K by just rotating your head and not moving lateral or axial you would need to have near perfect vision of VA = 2.23 (roughly 20/9 vision).

For HR an even number and VD a positive real number that inequality does not have a real solution when ARVA = 1/60° and HR > 3438 (for VA = 1.0), or when ARVA = 1/96° and HR > 5500 (for VA = 1.6).

Conclusion
On computer displays there is definitely something to say for 4K. You can display a lot of information simultaneously and you usually only have to focus on a small area at the time, which means the higher detail really has added value. Furthermore the short viewing distance allows a wide field of view without the need for extremely large displays. 8K might have its uses with very specific applications, but in general it would be excessive.

With televisions it’s a different story. Many people probably aren’t even making full use of their FHD TV yet. To really profit from 4K you’d need an extremely large screen, or sit extremely close. And 8K is just plain ridiculous. For a 250 cm viewing distance you’d need a 595 x 335 cm screen. There aren’t that many people with a wall that big in their house and even if you had, you’d need a pretty impressive beamer and a very large projection screen (they obviously don’t make TV’s that big).

One of the reasons that 4K televisions sell relatively well might be that in the store people tend to look at it from a very short distance, at which they could easily see that 4K is sharper than FHD. If they would look at it from the same distance as the actual distance they would view it from at home, many would not be able to tell the difference (if all other aspects of the image reproduction were identical for both displays). Manufacturers know this, so from a marketing perspective 4K is very clever.
. interesting

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info