PS4 / PS4 PRO GUYS - STEP IN

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Hey everyone,

Debating on getting a PS4 Pro and had a few questions.

Is the Pro better than the current XB1 (non-"X") version?

Primary reasons for getting one is I am getting back into RPG's, in particular, the classics on a console based platform. FFVII Remake is currently the biggest winner, plus, I'd like to be able to play the Playstation exclusive games like Uncharted, etc.

I have no plans on buying an XB1X or waiting for the next gen PS.

What do you think? what do you like about the Pro if you have one?

Thanks!
-Chris

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The Pro (and even the non pro) ps4 is better than the standard xbox. Its more powerful...but the differences are mostly non existent in the real world. The Pro does do 4k or tries to hit that target, the standard xbox can barely do 1080 sometimes :rofl:

I wouldnt buy EITHER console if you're looking for traditional rpgs, they dont exist anymore....and the ff7 remake is probably still 3 years out.

If you have a 4k capable tv, get the pro. Its a no brainer.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Why would you tell him to get a hybrid....?

Get a SSD. Tho, I dont know how the PS4 handles HD upgrades so maybe I'm talking out of my ass.

I have a SSD external on my xbox and its waaaaaaay faster than the standard internal (on the regular xbox). However, apparently on the One X the SSD operates basically the same as the HD inside? [MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION]

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Good info guys.

I have a 4K vizio TV currently.

From what I've seen, if you subscribe to PS Now, you have access to certain games that were on the PS2/PS3 and are playable on PS4.

FFVII appears to be releasing end of 2018 from what I've seen, so, something to look forward to.

Also, I am seeing two models of the Pro. The CUH-7000 and CUH-7100. Apparently the 7100 series came out this October and has a minor hardware update on it that the previous model doesn't have. May try to get that.

I like the idea that with the PS4, I'll have another option when I decide to go through another phase and switch between my gaming PC and XB1. Different games on each, so, there's that.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
[MENTION=7]IDAFC21[/MENTION], dont you have a ssd in yours?

Nah, the Pro has an SSHD. Because like mentioned, its a lot more cost effective to toss a drive in there that doesn't cost more than the console :rofl: At least if you want one w/ any amount of space on it. May not be AS fast as an SSD, but still much better than the stock drive.

Now on my xbox I use an external SSD, but I bought the smallest possible one I could, and I only keep a few games on there that I may currently be playing. When Im done they get moved back onto the xbox's standard internal drive.

But to the OP, as has been mentioned, since you have a 4k TV, go w/ the pro. If your tv also does HDR you're in for a nice treat. Games like the newer uncharted games and Horizon Zero Dawn look so freaking fantastic. Even gran turismo sport looked quite good when the demo was available.

Only downside to the Pro is no ultra HD bluray drive, which the xbox one x does have. But since you're comparing it to a normal xbox Im guessing thats not a concern for you. The Pro blows a standard xbox out of the water.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Well, whether FFVII is coming in 18' or 19' and betting on it is irrelevant, I'm still getting a PS4 Pro.

Few games I'm excited about are Spiderman and God of War, which come out early 2018.

Past that, Anthem looks awesome and that will be on the list.

Currently, the bundles for the Pro are $399.00 now, and I'm not sure how long this sale will last. I'm eager to buy, but, I made a deal with the wife not to buy it now, ha.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Bought a PS4 Pro BFII bundle over the weekend. All in all, paid around $380 OTD with an extra controller and a pre-order of God of War.

Started playing BFII. Great campaign and graphics. I am blown away at how quickly the PS4 installs games compared to my XB1. Night and day difference. Controller feels solid and is easy to adjust to since I haven't played a PS in years.

Definitely looking forward to playing more games and learning everything again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info