New TV advice. Turk step inside

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Turk I know you mentioned before the OLED tech is some of the best out there. Did some quick research and they do appear to get some fantastic reviews.

Wife and I were going to possibly pick of the below tv today.

Thoughts? And or a better one you would suggest? Does not have to be OLED, but picture has to be amazing. 65 inch min. Would prefer 70-75 however I am not spending 5-10 grand on a tv.

Discuss pros and cons please

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-...th-high-dynamic-range/5935272.p?skuId=5935272

e67bfec36cb8627650540d6c1859f35d.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If youre looking at 2017 LG OLEDs, they ALL use the same panel. Get the B7, thats what I have (Rick too). There is no difference other than form factor.

If you can find the B6 (last years model) for a steal, go with that one.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
OLED wont get as bright as say, QLED but the picture quality is still superior overall.

OLEDs are getting a price drop for Black Friday, Id have to find the link for the prices...I think I saw the 65 for 2200?

Sony OLED uses LG panels but their own image processor....they are also way more expensive, but they arguably handle motion better. But again, at a higher cost.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Also, something to keep in mind (and this is truth), OLED takes time to "break in". You'll actually see picture levels and blackness get better with more use. Its recommended you wait X amount of time before settling on a configuration for picture.

However, I would recommend using ISF Bright or Dark as your default setting...then turn off all the extra motion crap. LG recently added a technicolor setting as well and I find that to also be pretty good.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
OLED wont get as bright as say, QLED but the picture quality is still superior overall.

OLEDs are getting a price drop for Black Friday, Id have to find the link for the prices...I think I saw the 65 for 2200?

Sony OLED uses LG panels but their own image processor....they are also way more expensive, but they arguably handle motion better. But again, at a higher cost.

Yea this would be the B7. I saw the C model as well for 2600 but found the only different is the tv has built in Dolby stuff, which we won’t use as we don’t use the tv volume.

2200 is still a lot of money, however most reviews state this is one of the best TVs they have ever reviewed.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I mean in all honesty, it comes down to the user.

Best Buy isnt the best place to see the tvs side by side as they are set up for store display...if possible, I would ask if the tv guy can set the picture settings on both tvs to something not overly saturated.

Have the LG set to ISF Bright and the Samsung to movie or standard.

They both look fantastic in store...I think you'd still be happy with QLED as they do get much brighter, but in terms of absolute black, OLED is the winner.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I mean in all honesty, it comes down to the user.

Best Buy isnt the best place to see the tvs side by side as they are set up for store display...if possible, I would ask if the tv guy can set the picture settings on both tvs to something not overly saturated.

Have the LG set to ISF Bright and the Samsung to movie or standard.

They both look fantastic in store...I think you'd still be happy with QLED as they do get much brighter, but in terms of absolute black, OLED is the winner.

They are honestly pretty much the same price, unless u start going crazy in size with this new tech.

We have a standard LED TV now so I assume either we would see a huge change.

Between this and the Quantum dot which would you choose?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
OLED, without question.

At the end of the day, QLED is still just LED. Samsung has done a great job advancing the tech but its still old tech. OLED hasnt caught on mostly b/c the panels are costly to make and LG hasnt really figured out a way to bring prices down to meet most consumers budgets.

If you can afford it, OLED.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Initially, I seriously regretted dropping down to 65 but after a week, I love it.

How far away are you going to be sitting from the tv? That is actually semi important for 4k. After a certain distance away, your eyes cant really tell the difference. I mean you can still tell its a cleaner picture but to get 100% of the benefits from the resolution bump, you need to be something like 6-8ft away from the tv :rofl:

Example (tho not the law) - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-isWyQj6m9Qy/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Initially, I seriously regretted dropping down to 65 but after a week, I love it.

How far away are you going to be sitting from the tv? That is actually semi important for 4k. After a certain distance away, your eyes cant really tell the difference. I mean you can still tell its a cleaner picture but to get 100% of the benefits from the resolution bump, you need to be something like 6-8ft away from the tv :rofl:

Example (tho not the law) - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-isWyQj6m9Qy/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

From the couch to the actual wall where the tv would be mounted would be 7 ish feet? Maybe 9 total?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I stream everything from the native apps on the tv (the best way imo). Everything looks great....4k, tv, games, etc. I havent bought a UHD movie yet as I rarely buy movies, not to mention I'm waiting for the patch to fix the black levels on the one x player.

I STRONGLY recommend running cat5 to the tv tho rather than wifi (if you're able)...you wont get stable 4k streaming without it.

You might be able to do with with the Xbox tho, havent tried.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info