wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
To me it looks like the truck tries to speed up right as the car is merging in:

The car should not have cut him off.

The truck should not have sped up.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Ultimately the situation would have been avoided if the car did not try to squeeze in there.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
according to the internet.....the truck driver was cleared of fault in court and wasnt able to see her merge.

I can't believe that he convinced the court of that. The car is a full car length ahead of him with the turn signal on. It then looks like when that car comes over he closes the gap between him and the car in front of him to block him. Seems like a block to me. Then when the car coming over is closer to him, where he might not be able to finally see the car, he moves over onto the shoulder. Why move if you can't see the car. So obviously he saw the car.

But the car trying to merge was stupid to try and get over with so little room. Had that car had to make a quick reduction in speed that truck would have been in its back seat.

aggressive driving all around cost a lot of time and money for no real good reason.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I can't believe that he convinced the court of that. The car is a full car length ahead of him with the turn signal on. It then looks like when that car comes over he closes the gap between him and the car in front of him to block him. Seems like a block to me. Then when the car coming over is closer to him, where he might not be able to finally see the car, he moves over onto the shoulder. Why move if you can't see the car. So obviously he saw the car.

But the car trying to merge was stupid to try and get over with so little room. Had that car had to make a quick reduction in speed that truck would have been in its back seat.

aggressive driving all around cost a lot of time and money for no real good reason.

The greatest comment I've seen on a car crash video: "just because you have your blinker on, it doesn't mean you can merge over with any disregard."

I'm pretty sure the statute indicates some kind of "when safe" limitation.

Indiana has it: https://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Drivers_Manual_Chapter_5.pdf
Follow these rules when you are changing lanes:
• Make sure that there is no traffic ahead of you in the lane that you would
like to enter
• Check your mirrors for any vehicles that are preparing to pass you
• Briefly turn your head toward the lane that you are entering to make sure
that there is no vehicle in your blind spot and that there is sufficient room to
move into the adjacent lane

• Use your turn signal to alert other drivers of your intention to change lanes
• Smoothly move into the new driving lane

IL is ambiguous as fuck because IL: http://www.iei.illinois.edu/assets/documents/rules-of-road.pdf
Changing Lanes
• When moving your vehicle from the right-hand lane to the left-hand lane, turn your
head to check traffic behind you and on your left. Give the left-turn signal, then
carefully move into the left lane

Wisconsin definitely could have nailed both the dumb cunt and the truck driver: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/346/II/075
346.07 Overtaking and passing on the left.
The following rules govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special rules stated in ss. 346.075 (2) and 346.08 to 346.11:
(2) The operator of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.
346.07(3) (3) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the operator of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle and shall not increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

On second thought, that WI law only applies to overtaking on the left, over taking on the right only has very specific instances of being "legal". Specifically safety concerns. So dumb cunt would still be in the wrong, truck driver might skate because she tried overtaking illegally on the right.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'd say split fault. It's obvious he saw her because he started to drive on the shoulder to keep moving. I've been guilty of blocking on several occasions. Some asshole comes flying up on my right and I can tell he's going to cut me off to get past the slower moving traffic on the right. I try and not make it too obvious. Yes, I could be causing an accident, but I don't enjoy being cut off either.

I actually did this last week on Stearns and really pissed off some white SUV. It narrows to one lane westbound after County Farm. This vehicle didn't even have a signal on, they were just going to slide in front of me and make me slam on my brakes. So I didn't yield and they started honking and flashing their lights. This person probably does that every day to get a head of other cars before the merge.

It really bothers me when people stay in the lane they know is ending because it will save them a minute or two of waiting in the lane that isn't ending. And then they expect to cut in front of you. It usually ends in a game of chicken with me. Most of the time the other people yield before me. Though I've had a few cars that would definitely have hit me had I not yielded.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I would say that the VW Passat was 100% at fault. If you look at the video she's never fully in the left lane and has her vehicle in both lanes. She also brakes from 17-19 seconds causing the accident. If she had went back in her lane and slowed, the accident would have been avoided.

I really think that the trucker never saw her based on the video. There was no horn and it wasn't until almost impact that he moved over.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The greatest comment I've seen on a car crash video: "just because you have your blinker on, it doesn't mean you can merge over with any disregard."

I'm pretty sure the statute indicates some kind of "when safe" limitation.

I'm not saying that because the car had a blinker on she was in the right.

But it is clear the use of a brain and patience could have resulted in this not happening. By both parties. lol

I had buddies that drove trucks growing up. I have seen people do shitty things to them on the road. Some straight up dumb stuff. I have also seen them act like assholes to "get the better of someone". Being on the road you have to deal with a lot of stuff. All around you.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Truck saw her trying to enter, then as she started to enter, sped up, then refused to yield to avoid a collision. As a CDL holder, driving a 80k lb+ truck for commercial purposes that guy should know better. Also note he was not keeping a proper following distance which added to the problem.

She technically had the room until he sped up, after which both had a moment they could've yielded and refused.

Both idiots, the bigger idiot being the more experienced CDL driver

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I'm not saying that because the car had a blinker on she was in the right.

And I agree with you. My point was that most state's laws regarding "changing lanes" involves a "when safe to do so" limitation. If it isn't safe, you don't change lanes. It was clearly not safe for the VW to merge so she shouldn't have attempted it, period. She did anyway and caused the entire accident to happen. Anything after that is irrelevant.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
And I agree with you. My point was that most, if not all, state's laws regarding "changing lanes" involves a "when safe to do so" limitation. If it isn't safe, you don't change lanes. It was clearly not safe for the VW to merge so she shouldn't have attempted it, period. She did anyway and caused the entire accident to happen. Anything after that is irrelevant.

Yeah except there was space there until he sped up during her advance over. It's completely possible she looked over, saw enough room, then went to come over while not realizing the guy sped up.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-11-14 13.32.35.png
    Screenshot 2017-11-14 13.32.35.png
    904 KB · Views: 97

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
then went to come over while not realizing the guy sped up.

So then it wasn't safe for her to change lanes.

Still at fault.

Common sense indicates that if there's barely a fender length to the next car in front of you, and a trunk length to the car behind you doing 70+ mph, it also probably isn't safe at all.

Still at fault.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Was enough room when she started coming over. Period.

She also started coming over AFTER the truck had sped up. Not paying attention.

She initiated the lane change, she is responsible for any and all actions pertaining to HER lane change. After she attempts to merge and the truck goes onto the shoulder, she STILL attempts to switch lanes. Her ACTION caused the accident because she could have just cancelled the lane change and stayed in her lane.

Still at fault.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
She initiated the lane change, she is responsible for any and all actions pertaining to HER lane change. After she attempts to merge and the truck goes onto the shoulder, she STILL attempts to switch lanes. Her ACTION caused the accident because she could have just cancelled the lane change and stayed in her lane.

Still at fault.

It's both their faults technically.
I fault the guy who has more experience, is on his phone not maintaining a proper following distance, and refuses to yield to avoid an accident.

Agree to disagree

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info