Is Math Racist? It is at U of I

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
All this time I thought the Asian kids had an advantage in math!

White privilege bolstered by teaching math, university professor says - Story | WFLD

A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege.

Rochelle Gutierrez laid out her views on the subject in an article for a newly published anthology for math educators titled, “Building Support for Scholarly Practices in Mathematics Methods.”

“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says, according to Campus Reform.

She also says that addressing equity in mathematics education will come when teachers can understand and negotiate the politics outside the classroom.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,” she writes.

Further, she says mathematics operates with unearned privilege in society, “just like whiteness.”

Gutierrez did not respond to an email from Fox News Tuesday seeking comment.

University of Illinois interim Provost John Wilkin told Fox News that Gutierrez is an established and admired scholar who has been published in many peer-reviewed publications.

“As with all of our faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Prof. Gutierrez has the rights of academic freedom necessary to pursue scholarship and research on important subjects and to reach conclusions even if some might disagree with those conclusions,” he said.

He added, “The issues around equity and access in education are real – with significant implications to our entire educational system. Exploring challenging pedagogical questions is exactly what faculty in a world-class college of education should be doing.”

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
What is she really trying to say? I generally consider myself to be intelligent, but I’m not sure I understand what she is trying to say. There is inequity amongst the races in regards to their understanding of mathematics? Should we limit the amount of white people that can take math classes to even out the racial disparity? I don’t really understand her position.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I think she's trying to make a couple points, one of which is that we give whiteys credit for historical achievements/theorems that aren't theirs (don't know if this is true or not, but I frankly give zero shits). The other is that we hold math in higher regard than social studies and all those other throw-away degrees. People are at a disadvantage if they suck at math, and have less chance of success, and minorities (although not all minority groups, looking at you all you AZNs who ruined the curve in my Aero Eng classes!) tend to do worse at them for whatever reason. Therefore, math is racist.

Cliffs: She's starved for attention and threw this against the wall knowing she'd get attention for it, regardless of good or bad.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
As far as giving credit for mathematical developments, who is going to take the time and grab every single theorem and break it down by whichever races has received credit for its creation? Once that is done and history has been re-stated, how is the world better off? Minorities will gain some kind of self-worth?

I didn’t get into math because it was generally accepted that it had been created by white men. I got into math because it increases the likelihood of becoming more valuable in your career. It’s not the only trait that determines if someone will be successful. There are tons of people that make a great living without having anything outside basic math from high school. So now we’re accusing math of oppressing minorities? Give me a fucking break.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
What is she really trying to say? I generally consider myself to be intelligent, but I’m not sure I understand what she is trying to say. There is inequity amongst the races in regards to their understanding of mathematics? Should we limit the amount of white people that can take math classes to even out the racial disparity? I don’t really understand her position.

her actual paper is probably somewhat different than the claims in the "news" articles - just think of google guy.

not to say her actual papers are free of wonky claims, which they certainly may be. i just don't trust some news article to report on anything more complicated than 2+2 in the age of internet "journalism"

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Gutierrez claims that the importance of math skills in the real world also places what she calls an “unearned privilege” for those who are good at it. Because most math teachers in the United States are white, white people stand to benefit from their grasp of the subject disproportionate to members of other races.

There is a little more meat in some of the other websites coverage of this story.

She claims we overvalue math. When she says 'we' does she mean the job market? I don't think the job market has much racial prejudice. The job market deems that people with math education are more valuable than people with a lesbian dance theory degree.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info