Getting my eyes lasered on Thursday, anyone else have Lasik done?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I got mine done 6 or 7 years ago and it has been one of the best decisions of my life. Amazing feeling to wake up in the morning, and actually be able to see, and not fumble around for glasses on your night stand.

I ended up 20/20 in left eye and 20/15 in the right eye, although my left eye does get slightly blurry sometimes from minor dryness. I have to use drops every now and then in the summer, and probably every few days in the winter.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Why not?

I also get lifetime corrections if my vision ever gets iffy in my later years.

I think she's concerned about future potential issues that corrections later on won't fix.

I'm doing my best to paraphrase what she has said, but make no doubt about it, I'm not any form of an expert here... I have an extremely strong astigmatism (sp?) and it's getting worse. My current glasses, I'm limited on frames I can get, because at the end of the sphere, I need that necessary thickness to get the focal periphery (sp?) vision to see anything out of the main focus of my vision and Lasik won't correct that. At one point, I tried contact lenses, but the things were so friggen thick, that they were a bitch to take in and out (they were almost like solid thick), and then I could only have them in for an hour or two because they deprived my eyeballs of oxygen.

In my most recent exam (because I couldn't see shit), it was also found that I will be needing bi-focals at some point in time. I'm fighting that one...

So I think it's just her seeing what has been happening with my eyes in terms of history and what's happening now. I think she's concerned about all this.

Trust me, I want it. I hate glasses. I want to see a clock at night without getting 5" from it. I want to wear any pair of sunglasses and not need prescription specific ones, etc, etc...

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
and then I could only have them in for an hour or two because they deprived my eyeballs of oxygen.

Did you try hard lenses? I wore hard lenses for about 20 years, and then I went to soft lenses a couple years before lasik, and every once in a while my eye would hurt and I wouldn't be able to look at light. I wrote it off as eye infections.

When I went to get lasik, the doc asked if I had pain in my eyes before, and I told him about it. He said I had scars on my eye from ulcers, and said they were from soft lenses not letting enough oxygen through.

He explained how soft lenses are like having saran wrap on your eye, where a hard lense is porous and lets oxygen to the eye.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I did it 10 years ago. It was $2000 which seems absurdly cheap but it was done like an assembly line which was unsettling. What I mean by that is that on a Saturday morning me and probably 15 other people all sat in a waiting room as they pulled us in, did the procedure and then sent us home. Each person took about 5 - 10 minutes.

I didn't think I'd be able to get it because I can't touch my eye. Even as an adult I could never have contacts because I couldn't get them in. They squeegee liquid morphine on to your eye so it feels like it's not even there. Then you get a first hand view of the machine cutting the flap and the moment they move it everything goes blurry and you just stars of light. When the laser fires you smell burning flesh which is interesting.

It took me a day before my vision was fully back. I remember being confused because it was tough to focus only because it was so clear and even with my best pair of glasses I never saw that clear. If you've ever had it where you went a week without glasses and then one day you get a new pair, it's that feeling.

I get halos around street lights but nothing bad enough that you notice until you notice it if you know what I mean. You'll notice it and be aware of it but then you just forget about it.

Thread Info