middle finger from RR to goose island land owners

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
AKA, we don't want to pay for the land that is going to help us make millions of extra dollars.

It seems like a cash grab by the RR. At the same time, I can see why they would do it. They have an asset, and it would have just faded away had the area got too developed. This way they can get something for it. That said, the legal bills will be 275K on this. It actually seems cheap to me. Maybe I'm crazy.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Apparently this used to be a rail line under the loop/merchandise mart now used for truck traffic

You train guys should really join the page

21618029_1619673048053934_1948030798217798354_n.jpg

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Aug 1, 2007
Iowa Pacific is on the verge of Bankruptcy so it makes sense for them to recently store those cars there, hoping they will pay to have them moved

CP did this with the West Yard when the State wanted to build over it with the Elgin-Ohare extension basically saying it would be detrimental to business, the state one regardless

Just like the state will win here too

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
IDOT or the state wanted to expand the highway over the CP yard by ohare and take land away from CP that they owned. Anyone hear what ever happened about that?

Are you talking about the Tollway and IL-390? They were only trying to buy a few feet of property and at the last minute CP changed their mind and backed out, so the tollway used eminent domain.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Part of me says fuck them both... why should the railroad who no longer use the line and probably unfairly took it from someone 100 years ago get to keep something they don't need....but on the other hand why should the developers get shit for free?

As far as the State is concerned, I'm sure they would prefer to have whatever business nets them the most tax revenue.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
So possible update. They moved the cars and rail fans think they brought them all the way to new york to be stored or "moth balled"

All the way to this site here, https://goo.gl/maps/3SJKqfA5Fu72

"Storing rail cars in the public way on Goose Island is a public safety hazard and impedes traffic," said Chicago Department of Transportation spokesman Mike Claffey. "We are pleased to hear that rail cars have been removed. However, if new rail cars are stored on the public way, we will immediately pursue all potential legal remedies to get them removed."

Outside Chicago, Iowa Pacific is dealing with a similar railcar dispute in upstate New York. The company plans to mothball a bunch of rail cars on tracks it owns in the Adirondacks, drawing criticism from environmentalists and government officials.

Michaud calls any environmental concerns "baseless." As the owner of the tracks in New York and Chicago, Iowa Pacific has a legal right to store rail cars on them, he said.

"We strive to be good neighbors to all the businesses that surround our railroads but at the end of the day, we have bills to pay, just like everybody else," he wrote in an email. "Storing rail cars is a common business practice among railroads, especially short line railroads, which ours are."

video of tank cars in link below-----------------------------

First tank train cars arrive for storage in Adirondacks | Local | poststar.com

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info