Chicago trip tommorow

Well I guess I'm making a day trip into the city tomorrow for our anniversary. Not gonna lie, being the country boy I am, me and Chicago do not get along well. There have been a few previous experiences that have really turned me off of bringing the car into the city proper. But due to the same issue I have 0 experience with any kind of public transportation.

So basically I'm looking at driving into Aurora and leaving the Saab there and taking the train into Union Station. We are looking at going to the aquarium, the Field museum, Navy Pier, and the wife wants to check out Chinatown.

I'm assuming buses are fairly easy to use to get to these areas, and it can't be that hard to figure out the lines and schedule right? Any tips? Suggestions on other stuff to check out while we are there?

We did take a trip to Millennium Park last year but i basically messed up how long it would take to get place to place (10 miles shouldn't take 30-40 minutes haha) and cost of parking. spent a ton on parking and took so long that by the time we walked around a bit it was dark and the place we wanted to eat was closed.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
From Union, you CAN walk to the field, which shed is right there too, it's about 2 miles...so like 30 minutes at a brisk walk.

Honestly, I would tell you to Uber before public transport if you're not used to it in the city. Uber is so stupid easy.

Was also going to suggest Uber, I just dont know what they charge downtown.
Why Chinatown?
What kind of food are you guys looking for?

Because my wife is crazy? She wants to check out some of the market stuff and maybe grab something to eat there.

That is a good question i forgot to ask, food suggestions in the area? We are pretty adventurous with where we eat, always lie to check out interesting places when out of town, only stipulation is my wife is quasi vegetarian

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Because my wife is crazy? She wants to check out some of the market stuff and maybe grab something to eat there.

That is a good question i forgot to ask, food suggestions in the area? We are pretty adventurous with where we eat, always lie to check out interesting places when out of town, only stipulation is my wife is quasi vegetarian

Vegetarian friendly, they accept cash only.... ATM on site.

Chicago Pizza And Oven Grinder Co. | Chicago Pizza Company

Or closer to Chinatown, breaded steak is phenomenal....not sure what your wife would eat, lol
https://www.ricobenespizza.com/

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Since you already have the train portion figured out...

You can always walk wherever you need to go.

If you want to cab it, just flag one on Canal St.

If you want to bus it via CTA;
To go to the Field Museum/Aquarium: Once you arrive at Union Station, head out to Jackson St. by the river (Jackson/Canal), look for the #130 Museum Campus CTA bus.

To go to Navy Pier: Once you arrive at Union Station, head out to Jackson St. by the river (Jackson/Canal), look for the #124 Navy Pier.

To go between Navy Pier and the Museum Campus I think you have to cab it as I don't believe that there is a bus route on that one.

To go to Chinatown;
1) Cab it
2) Come out on Jackson St., walk down Jackson St. to State Street in the Loop, catch the southbound (west side of State St.) Red Line train to Cermak.
3) Come out on Jackson St., walk to the #28 bus at Jackson/Canal, the bus will take you over to State Street, catch the southbound Red Line train to Cermak.

I don't think that there is any buses from Chinatown to either the museum campus or Navy Pier, so you'd have to cab it either way between those.

Using Chicago's transit system isn't that big of a deal. It's actually quite a simple and well thought out system.

Since you already have the train portion figured out...

You can always walk wherever you need to go.

If you want to cab it, just flag one on Canal St.

If you want to bus it via CTA;
To go to the Field Museum/Aquarium: Once you arrive at Union Station, head out to Jackson St. by the river (Jackson/Canal), look for the #130 Museum Campus CTA bus.

To go to Navy Pier: Once you arrive at Union Station, head out to Jackson St. by the river (Jackson/Canal), look for the #124 Navy Pier.

To go between Navy Pier and the Museum Campus I think you have to cab it as I don't believe that there is a bus route on that one.

To go to Chinatown;
1) Cab it
2) Come out on Jackson St., walk down Jackson St. to State Street in the Loop, catch the southbound (west side of State St.) Red Line train to Cermak.
3) Come out on Jackson St., walk to the #28 bus at Jackson/Canal, the bus will take you over to State Street, catch the southbound Red Line train to Cermak.

I don't think that there is any buses from Chinatown to either the museum campus or Navy Pier, so you'd have to cab it either way between those

Using Chicago's transit system isn't that big of a deal. It's actually quite a simple and well thought out system.

That's hugely useful info, thanks

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
If I were you I would get an early train in, walk down Jackson to Columbus, see the Lincoln, and the Buckingham Fountain, keep going south to the Shedd / Field. See those, get on the water taxi to Navy, take an uber from there to Millennium/Maggie Daly (even tho it's only a mile, so you could walk if you wanted to) and then to Chintown (if you still want to go there). I know that's kind of counter-intuitive because you're going north to come back south, BUT you get to see the parks, museums, city from the water, and Chinatown if your lady's heart is set on it.

It's a lot to cram into one day, but it can be done!

If I were you I would get an early train in, walk down Jackson to Columbus, see the Lincoln, and the Buckingham Fountain, keep going south to the Shedd / Field. See those, get on the water taxi to Navy, take an uber from there to Millennium/Maggie Daly (even tho it's only a mile, so you could walk if you wanted to) and then to Chintown (if you still want to go there). I know that's kind of counter-intuitive because you're going north to come back south, BUT you get to see the parks, museums, city from the water, and Chinatown if your lady's heart is set on it.

It's a lot to cram into one day, but it can be done!

Yeah, we are coming in early (want to hit Aurora by 7am). I can cut some time out of that as we've already been to millennium and the fountains. Kinda want to hit chinatown for lunch time, then dinner in the navy pier area

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The BNSF line is the busiest line in the Metra system. Lots of trains, lots of expresses, etc. It's also the only line on the system that lets the Express trains to "jump" the locals. All other lines are timed so that the Express trains still follow a local.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info