Trigger Warning: Mike K California Story up in Hurrrrr

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The dads here are probably aware that most schools shake you down for cash to supply the kids with stuff that the district doesn't. Our school system is no different but the sheer amount of cash they need to raise is absurd because LA Unified doesn't supply the school with an art teacher, any teacher's aids, PE, Library, Garden, continued education of the teachers, etc.

So basically at the beginning of the year they put up a banner on the school and and break it down to a per kid cost of around $1300. Donate $1300 or more and you get a neat magnet to stick on your car to let the world know that you're not some deadbeat leech that donated $1299.

And so they throw the parents a party for donating and anyone that's been to these parties knows they're kind of hokey. PTA moms generally aren't party coordinators but you get together with other parents, hang out and generally have a good time. Unless your school is in the middle of the Hollywood Hills in which case...

They take over the tennis club. Because it's LA. Of course they take over the tennis club. And so there's about 300 of us there and there's a stage set up for a band. And I was told from other parents that it's usually pretty interesting because our neighborhood is full of celebrities. So interesting people typically find their way to the neighborhood school party. :rofl: Our host was David Kushner (Velvet Revolver) which apparently everyone but me knew was going to be there, because he had two kids go to the school. He knocked out a few songs and then brought up Juliette Lewis and initially I'm like WTF is this. Why is Juliette Lewis about to sing? And then she nailed 3 or 4 classics. And she didn't just nail them; she knocked them out of the park. Maybe on her second song I realize Dave Navarro is standing next to her and at this point my brain is melting and I'm wondering if this is real life.

TL; DR - If we ever move back to Chicago I'm totally ruined for PTA parties.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I feel your pain...

The injury to insult here, is I PAY to private school ours, as well as PAY U-46 in Elgin, and district 33/94 in WeGo through my tax dollars (so I get fucked three times), only to have the school come along and say, "hey, if you want to have your child in this, we need $$$".

Wait... Wut??

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
1300 is pretty absurd but i look at it this way. I used to pay a fucking grand per month for daycar for my 2 boys thats only 25 per day 250 a week. So even that 1300 might not be too bad if its only a 1 time thing vs monthly monster daycare bill!

So all the people bitching about sending their kids to school supplies is a bit odd for me.

Im like here ya go you need 47 fucking glue sticks and 92 boxes of crayons or whatever fine as I send my boys to kindergarten and 2nd grade I still come out ahead vs. paying the daycare ladies damn mortgage in the summer!!

I think we spent about 200 per kid on school supplies and ordered it all on amazon.

It honestly doesnt bother me 1 bit to send my kids to school with supplies and dump another grand in clothes because damn it my kids are not gonna look like hoodlums :rofl:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
tumblr_m4x9k7RCul1qh59n0o6_r2_250.gif

:bowrofl:

If anyone's going to name a movie with her in it, that clearly has to be Natural Born Killers.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Aren't the public schools utter shit in CA?

Absolute crap. There are a few good schools, mostly in the wealthier neighborhoods where parents tend to be more involved. My neighbors were about to pay 70k a year to have their son go to a private school before he got accepted into a gifted magnet program. 70k. Seventy Thousand Dollars.

I feel your pain...

The injury to insult here, is I PAY to private school ours, as well as PAY U-46 in Elgin, and district 33/94 in WeGo through my tax dollars (so I get fucked three times), only to have the school come along and say, "hey, if you want to have your child in this, we need $$$".

Wait... Wut??

Yeah, that all sucks hard. We have it pretty good here. I'm not complaining about the $1300 at all. It's money well spent.

Also, I always think of "The Other Sister" when I think of Juliette Lewis. I had friends that would incessantly quote lines from that movie when I was in high school so she'll forever be that to me.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Absolute crap. There are a few good schools, mostly in the wealthier neighborhoods where parents tend to be more involved. My neighbors were about to pay 70k a year to have their son go to a private school before he got accepted into a gifted magnet program. 70k. Seventy Thousand Dollars.

Yeah, that all sucks hard. We have it pretty good here. I'm not complaining about the $1300 at all. It's money well spent.

Also, I always think of "The Other Sister" when I think of Juliette Lewis. I had friends that would incessantly quote lines from that movie when I was in high school so she'll forever be that to me.

Yea, it's not so much the money (although I do think what I could buy for myself with the money I'd save... :D ), it's just the constant "pestering" for more.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Thanks for the reminder, I will continue to use condoms.

Think of the tax deductions you're missing though... :D

Plus, I hope that when I'm senile and drooling on myself, they'll take care of me. Better than going to a retirement home where they shove you in a corner and leave you.

In the interim, I get to know all the moms...

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
It's interesting how times have changed. Back to school time in my day was when my parents would take me to a shop and we'd get some pens, pencils and notebooks, a glue stick, maybe a new trapper keeper if I was really lucky. School lunch cost $1.10 a day and the only money to provided the school beyond that was paid through state taxes.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Haha, fucking busy-bodies...

My Wife told me Sunday, "Oh, I volunteered us for classroom parents..."

The look on my face gave away my "WTF does that mean" response.

"Oh, we get to plan all the Halloween, Christmas, and any other parties and get togethers/events for the class our two are in."

So I let her have it. I told her that when she volunteers, that she volunteers herself NOT me! I don't have fucking time, nor do I fucking care! I work 24/7 and I barely get enough time to sleep now, yet you want me to do more extracurricular shit for shitheads I don't give a fuck about... You want to be the class mom, fine, but don't involve me. You want to run a Girl Scout troop, that's great, don't involve me.

I haven't heard a word about it since.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info