Building a pc. $1000 challenge

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Thinking about building a new PC. Not for gaming but need some good stuff that can handle my 3d cad graphics, fusion360 and other software that hogs resources. Maybe some gaming who knows.
Want to build something that can last me the next 5 years or so

Thinking Corsair 32gb ram and can always upgrade later

cpu
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...26&cm_re=intel_core_i7-_-19-117-726-_-Product

Since I've been out of the personal PC game for 10 years, what would you guys build? Trying to stay away from the new AMD. Yes I know it has good benchmarks, but not a fan of my last AMD laptop I got.

What would you build this this budget
$1000 without a monitor.

And go...

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Check out pcpartspicker and play around with some of the options to get an idea on cost.

32GB of RAM is a bit much, 16GB should fit your needs. Anything nvidia 700+ should work well with 3D rendering. A good 5th or 6th gen i7 processor will work as well.

Pcpartspicker is a great option that finds parts online for you based on what you want and shows you the cheapest option.
[MENTION=5219]ZXMustang[/MENTION] Brian is very knowledgeable with builds and can provide better feedback than I can.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Thinking about building a new PC. Not for gaming but need some good stuff that can handle my 3d cad graphics, fusion360 and other software that hogs resources. Maybe some gaming who knows.

cpu
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...26&cm_re=intel_core_i7-_-19-117-726-_-Product

Since I've been out of the personal PC game for 10 years, what would you guys build? Trying to stay away from the new AMD. Yes I know it has good benchmarks, but not a fan of my last AMD laptop I got.

$1000 without a monitor.

And go...

Your best bet would be an AMD Ryzen CPU. They are not the AMDs of the past. They are every bit as good as their intel counter parts. You can get 8 core/16 threads for what you would pay for the 7700k 4/8. I have the 7700k and its a monster for gaming. Probably the best CPU around right now for gaming. But for productivity, it gets rings ran around it by the 6 and 8 core intels and Ryzens.

I'd get a Ryzen 1700 and some DDR4 3000 ram. Do a B350 motherboard from Asus, MSI or Gigabyte. Use the stock cooler that comes with it. Make sure you get a decent SSD for atleast your boot drive, let alone all your drives. I personally have a 1TB m.2 SSD and I use it for everything including storage. Forget the spinning drives if you can afford it.

As for graphics, you need to see if your program supports cuda accelerations. If so then you want an Nvidia GPU. Like a 1060 or 1070. Again if you are not gaming, then you wont need the high dollar cards.

If you arent going to be using Cuda with your software, then get an AMD card. Like an RX580 or a RX480 if you need to save some cash.

And for cases, Im a Fractal Designs fan. I have the Define S. That may be too big though. Just look for an ATX mid tower case that makes you hard looking at it.

Thats about it for the major stuff. I say stick with Ryzen for the budget productivity build. And it will game like a monster if you ever decide you want to go that route. But I would NOT get the 7700k for anything but gaming.

Here is a PC part picker list that I picked out that should work for you.

Just a tad over your budget, but this would be the bare minimum I'd do for a productivity computer.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sx9hwV

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Oh and get Windows 10 license from Kinguin.net. I buy them from there, and they are $29. You can use the media creation tool from microsoft to make a bootable USB with windows 10 on it, then put in the key you get from kinguin. Its legit. That key will marry itself to the mobo and you can reload windows when ever you want without needed it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

cpu

$1000 without a monitor.

And go...

What 3D programs are you using? A company that we work with is going to start switching all of their prints for the parts we build to 3D and I'm going to need a program that will allow me to open and view all of their prints now.... Just seeing if there's any basic 3D programs or if I would need some sort of full blown program for it?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Your best bet would be an AMD Ryzen CPU. They are not the AMDs of the past. They are every bit as good as their intel counter parts. You can get 8 core/16 threads for what you would pay for the 7700k 4/8. I have the 7700k and its a monster for gaming. Probably the best CPU around right now for gaming. But for productivity, it gets rings ran around it by the 6 and 8 core intels and Ryzens.

I'd get a Ryzen 1700 and some DDR4 3000 ram. Do a B350 motherboard from Asus, MSI or Gigabyte. Use the stock cooler that comes with it. Make sure you get a decent SSD for atleast your boot drive, let alone all your drives. I personally have a 1TB m.2 SSD and I use it for everything including storage. Forget the spinning drives if you can afford it.

As for graphics, you need to see if your program supports cuda accelerations. If so then you want an Nvidia GPU. Like a 1060 or 1070. Again if you are not gaming, then you wont need the high dollar cards.

If you arent going to be using Cuda with your software, then get an AMD card. Like an RX580 or a RX480 if you need to save some cash.

And for cases, Im a Fractal Designs fan. I have the Define S. That may be too big though. Just look for an ATX mid tower case that makes you hard looking at it.

Thats about it for the major stuff. I say stick with Ryzen for the budget productivity build. And it will game like a monster if you ever decide you want to go that route. But I would NOT get the 7700k for anything but gaming.

Here is a PC part picker list that I picked out that should work for you.

Just a tad over your budget, but this would be the bare minimum I'd do for a productivity computer.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sx9hwV

what's CUA? Why so much on a graphics card?

I guess I would have thought that if a pc can game really well then doing 3d modeling and multitasking would be a breeze.

Thinking about a 27" ish display but would prefer one I can wall mount. Would ideally like a little larger but I want to keep it on a budget.

I also need to figure out a worthy desk but I can do that anytime.

I've never done a build where the OS was on a boot drive only and all the storage is on another drive. So are you saying you install windows to the boot drive and all the program files for my applications are on another drive? Little confused on that works but if that' the case I will go that route the have that drive mirrored to a backup drive so there will never be any data loss.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

I guess I would have thought that if a pc can game really well then doing 3d modeling and multitasking would be a breeze.

Thinking about a 27" ish display but would prefer one I can wall mount. Would ideally like a little larger but I want to keep it on a budget.

I've never done a build where the OS was on a boot drive only and all the storage is on another drive. So are you saying you install windows to the boot drive and all the program files for my applications are on another drive? Little confused on that works but if that' the case I will go that route the have that drive mirrored to a backup drive so there will never be any data loss.

3d modeling usually utilized the GPU more then then CPU hence buying a better graphics card for your situation.

Having windows on a dedicated hard drive only gives you an advantage if you are not doing regular image backups or don't have the drives mirrored, or don't have the technical knowledge to pull data off a drive with a bad windows load on it.

The thought process behind it is if windows fucks up and you need to reinstall it, and don't have an image backup to restore, it will allow you to reinstall Windows and wipe the C: drive without having to worry about getting any of your data off it first because it should be stored on the other drive. When you install programs, you can usually select a non-default location (default would be C:/program files/etc...) To install instead. BUT if you install 3dprogram.exe onto the D: and you need to reinstall Windows, you'll still have to install the application again to input registry files BUT you shouldn't lose any data/projects you were working on reducing the down time.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

So when SSDs were super expensive, people generally only ran 60gb or even 128gb SSDs. And they would install windows on them and whatever other programs that would fit. Then they would use much cheaper and higher capacity spinning drives to house the data. This practice is still in use, but I see no point to it anymore. You can get 1tb SSDs for $250 now, and you should have enough room to put everything you have on it. You can still run a secondary spinner, but I wouldnt. I want the speed and its cheap enough to make sense now.

As for CUDA, they are parallel processing cores to the GPUs standard cores. But they are used with a specific task pertaining to processing data coming from software that was written to take advantage of cuda cores. Some productivity software will use cuda (GPU acceleration basically), to assist the CPU in processing data. AMD uses a similar method called stream processors. Those are used with AMD proprietary api's that enable gpu hardware acceleration.

Basically you need to find out if the modeling software you have will utilize CUDA to help with the heavy lifting the CPU will be doing. GPUs are much faster than CPUs, and they help greatly when hardware acceleration can be used.

As for gaming, you wont be able to game for shit with just a cpu. It will most likely not even be able to handle 1080p gaming.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
here is what I found on fusion360 which is my 3d software.
This was 2016, not sure what if any has changed. I'm not super heavy on the 3d design YET but I plan on doing it more and more.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/gpu-rendering/td-p/6630826
"Our renderer is currently CPU only. GPUs have the benefit of much higher parallelism, (10 - 50x more cores), but many limitations (scene size, memory bandwidth, practical core utilization, energy cost, limited availability in the cloud). In practice, the CPU approach provides greater flexibility, consistency across platforms and reasonable performance across a broader spectrum of scenes. We periodically benchmark the renderer against other CPU and GPU implementations and we are very competitive. A recent algorithmic change has results in 2-3X performance improvement for many Fusion scenes. Some of limitations on GPUs will relax (memory size, memory bandwidth, cloud availability). As the landscape changes we continue to evaluate this choice."

Hope that helps,

Colin

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Also if you must get intel because of your amd hate, I would suggest the x99 haswell 5820k. It is around the same price and X99 boards should be getting cheap now. It’s a 6 core 12 thread cpu that can be overclocked well into the 4.4-4.7ghz range. It rocks for gaming too but will chew through productivity without issue. Better than a 4/8 i7.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Also if you must get intel because of your amd hate, I would suggest the x99 haswell 5820k. It is around the same price and X99 boards should be getting cheap now. It’s a 6 core 12 thread cpu that can be overclocked well into the 4.4-4.7ghz range. It rocks for gaming too but will chew through productivity without issue. Better than a 4/8 i7.

Would you do that or the AMD? To overclock does it it need to be water cooled?

I guess I can skip a graphics card all together for now and always get one later if they enable the GPU

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Would you do that or the AMD? To overclock does it it need to be water cooled?

I guess I can skip a graphics card all together for now and always get one later if they enable the GPU

Then it would have to be the Ryzen. The x99 stuff has no onboard graphics. I’d do the Ryzen anyway though. X99 is now replaced with x299. And you really don’t want to buy generation old hardware.

But I had the 5820k and it was a monster. Destroyed both gaming and benchmarks.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Would it be better for less cores and higher clock speed or more cores and lower clock speed?

How's this for an intel setup? I can always add the video card later and save some up front cash

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyzmZ8
$1099
i7 4.2ghz quad core

or if i went AMD (would also need to add a wireless card)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9ngYKZ
$947 + wireless card
amd ryzen 1600x 3.6ghz 6 core

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Would it be better for less cores and higher clock speed or more cores and lower clock speed?

How's this for an intel setup? I can always add the video card later and save some up front cash

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyzmZ8
$1099
i7 4.2ghz quad core

or if i went AMD (would also need to add a wireless card)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9ngYKZ
$947 + wireless card
amd ryzen 1600x 3.6ghz 6 core

More cores for productivity. Higher clocks for gaming. But you can’t go wrong with more cores for both.

I only game so I got the king 7700k. I have it overclocked to 5.0ghz. It’s a monster.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
The intel isn't much more plus the board has built in wifi
I will have to think about it a bit more, in no rush

What's that board called that pkugs directly to the MB that you install the OS on?

Any recommendations for a 27" monitor? One that I can walk mount. Under $250
May wall mount it may not but would like the option

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info