Who's our garage door guy?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
We moved into this house about 7 months ago. The garage door has a genie excelerator II. I swear this thing wants me to throw it out the window.
4 or 5 times since we been here it literally just decided to lose it's programming for no apparent reason.

Today, went in the house, closed the garage door. 15min later I was going to leave and the button didn't work. So as usual I have to grab the manual and then set the up and down limits and then it starts working again.

What would cause this to happen? And if I have to replace it, what's a good recommendation? Would like something I can operate with my phone and it still needs to be quiet.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I use a Ryobi garage door opener. Works pretty damn well. Battery backup goes in one module (there's 6 modules), then you can add accessories to each module. I have the 30' cord reel, 25' air compressor, security camera, Bluetooth speaker, and fan.

They also make a parking assist module and I think one other one. There's a ryobi app you download so you can use your phone wherever you have an Internet connection (as well as the actual openers inside/outside plus vehicle openers). The app also allows you to control the other modules like turn the Bluetooth on or volume, or check the security camera, turn the fan on, see what time the last time the door was opened or closed, open the door to a preset amount and other features.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I use a Ryobi garage door opener. Works pretty damn well. Battery backup goes in one module (there's 6 modules), then you can add accessories to each module. I have the 30' cord reel, 25' air compressor, security camera, Bluetooth speaker, and fan.

They also make a parking assist module and I think one other one. There's a ryobi app you download so you can use your phone wherever you have an Internet connection (as well as the actual openers inside/outside plus vehicle openers). The app also allows you to control the other modules like turn the Bluetooth on or volume, or check the security camera, turn the fan on, see what time the last time the door was opened or closed, open the door to a preset amount and other features.

I was really looking at this one too.

Not sure why but I don't tags or whatever... Call me 630-217-9839 *5

Genie discounted the accelerator cause its pos
I only sell liftmaster
So I know nothing about these. Do they all work with chains, acme type screws and belts or do you have to buy what is specific to what you already have?

What do you charge to install one? I am leaning towards the ryobi

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Nobody wants to install ryobi for whatever reason and try pushing the products they sell. It's understandable but it took me a couple hours to install my ryobi and that's not knowing anything. That's also placing whatever bracket I needed for my garage, the track and belt, sensors, openers, and making the wires look clean along the wall. It's not bad. It's also a belt driven opener and real quiet. Half the time my dog doesn't even know I've opened it up.

garage door guy

Forum Sponsor
Sep 23, 2014
I push the products I sell because of a few reasons they are the best.. And if your going to purchase product that is designed for a diy approach you should install it your self I cant warranty someone else's product. I want my customers to know when we leave they are 100% covered under my warranty. We do install craftsman/chamberlain products. But the warranty only covers labor

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
My parents had the Ryobi Garage door opener but you had to be in the driveway pulled up to the door for it to open and the keypad rarely worked. My mom ended up locked out of the house a few times because she only uses the garage and didn't pull up far enough for it to open. Ryobi said they are aware the range is limited in some situations and have a long range antenna which they would send for nothing but the antenna requires disassembly and modification of the unit and can impact the warranty. :picard: My parents called up a pro and had it replaced with a LiftMaster belt drive unit. Its just as quiet as the Ryobi and you can open the garage from several houses down or on a phone app and has been 100% reliable. The Ryobi went back to Home Depot. Personally I'd get a Chamberlain and install it myself or have a pro install a Liftmaster.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info