Tim Allen's Last Man Standing Cancelled - Politics?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Tim Allen's Last Man Standing sitcom has been cancelled by ABC.

This is surprising because the show has been one of the most watched shows on ABC only behind Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy.

Rumors are flying that Tim Allen is too conservative for ultra liberal Hollywood so they canned him after he repeatedly triggered them with conservative, pro Trump comments.

I ran a search and the MSM (main stream media) is not reporting on the cancellation. No TMZ reports, no ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc. Why would they not report on a prime time show being cancelled unless they don't want to publicize the issue? Seems pretty strange to me. If Modern Family was cancelled, it would be all over the "news".

It’s not often a network cancels its second most-watched comedy in a sudden, surprising move. Usually, if a show that important to a network has to go out, it’s granted some sort of “this will be your final season” reprieve. (Think of how CBS handled the end of How I Met Your Mother in 2014, for instance.)

Yet such a scenario has unfolded — surprising most industry observers (myself included) — with ABC’s Last Man Standing, a Tim Allen star vehicle that airs Friday nights and quietly pulls in more total viewers than any comedy on the network not named Modern Family. Indeed, it’s ABC’s third most-watched scripted show, period, after Modern Family and number one series Grey’s Anatomy. (Deadline has more exact viewership data, should you so desire.) And yet the network canceled it after its sixth season, without even a planned series finale.

The cancellation has left some conservative pundits wondering if Last Man Standing was canceled because Allen himself is conservative, and his character on the series is as well. (The other characters around him lean more toward the moderate or liberal, making Last Man Standing sort of a modern update of All in the Family, where everybody seems to have gotten their talking points from cable news.)

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/5/12/15628038/last-man-standing-canceled-tim-allen

Fans are signing petitions to boycott ABC and asking "why?"

Boycott hits ABC over canceling Tim Allen hit 'Last Man Standing'

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Last Man Standing was a variation on Tim Allen's original Home Improvement.

Instead of three boys, he had three girls and the show explored the relationships between daughters and their parents instead of sons and their parents.

Allen was the GM of a sporting goods store and he would do a podcast every episode talking about the joys and suffering of being a "man" in a woman's world. Amy watched it and I would watch a few minutes if it was on. Definitely the most conservative sitcom on prime time. It was a milder All in the Family with Allen playing the Archie Bunker role.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
ive caught a few episodes, it seems pretty awesome.

probably going to start watching it more now :rofl:

kinds throws you at first between season 1 and 2 because fo a casting change of the oldest daugher and her baby daddy. both of them got recasted. it is a "mans" show kinda like how Home Improvement was but with Tim being much less of an idiot. a lot of camos from HI as well.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I wonder if another network might grab it up with the ratings it pulled in...

The cameos from people that used to be on Home Improvement are HILLARIOUS.... Jay Leno and Tim Allen have some really good jabs at each other as well mocking their previous careers...

Seen every episode, seeing it cancelled was definitely out of left field.

The Halloween episode when he dressed as Trump was great...
144870__01566-embed.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
They would also have to buy the rights from ABC
I think 20th Century Fox TV owns the rights which might make it easier to find a new home.

and, from Wiki...

Allen who is also a Republican, said, possibly with tongue in cheek, in an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live! that "being a Republican in Hollywood was like 1930s Germany. You gotta be real careful around here, you know. You’ll get beat up if you don’t believe what everybody believes.” His comment was widely criticized especially over his comparison over treatment of Republicans in Hollywood with Nazi Germany. This led some to believe that the show had been cancelled because of his statements.[85]

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Be honest, how many of us knew about this show before all this? I didn't. For most people, this news story is their first exposure to the show's existence. And that's the show's undoing. Apparently nobody but the olds knew it was on tv. It had respectable overall ratings but in an age demographic that advertisers largely don't care about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info