Calling on Septic System experts.... Aerator pump noise

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
New house has a septic system and I know very little about them other then what I've read online.

Anyways, I know the aerator pump runs 24/7 but is it suppose to be this loud? Or is my motor dying? Septic was inspected a week ago and the company said everything was good (but who knows if they told the previous owner if it should be replaced, nothing on the report).

Here is a video

https://youtu.be/yAegYnT6AAE

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Here is the pump model
549cb6460558f94657f32d943c23e4db.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
it's an air pump essentially so it's going to have some noise... I would look at putting a pad under the mounting plate for it, that'll take some of the vibration noise out of it for sure.
That's true. Maybe I'll just build a box around it leaving one end open for ventilation and try to quiet it down as well as the pad

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Gast makes really good air pumps, and depending how many PSI you need you would be under $500 for a new pump give or take....

You can see theirs comes with vibration pads built in as well:
0523_14LG.jpg
Yeah everything I found was around that price. I'd rather not replace it if it's normal. It's in the garage so I don't hear it in the house

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Yeah everything I found was around that price. I'd rather not replace it if it's normal. It's in the garage so I don't hear it in the house

Id run it till it breaks then and then replace it. They look to be readily available so you should be able to get one pretty quickly.....

Were there any grease fittings on it? Theyre usually sealed bearings but youll occasionally get some with grease fittings on the motor...

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Home ownership fun so far?
Yeah I've been enjoying it so far...Just not enough time or money to get everything done right away which sucks but I love that I'm doing stuff for myself and not someone else.

In the middle of moving and cleaning, I've also started putting in a couple fence posts to connect the deck to the back yard. This weather really fucks that plan for now.

Need to replace the bathroom faucets and tub hardware because they slow drip when off which is just $$$ down the drain in my eyes.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Normal. Deal with these pumps a lot but not in a septic application. Also hard to tell how loud the noise is, relatively. They're not quiet pumps. Also, check the inlet screen/filter. You can take the pump section off and inspect too. It's a vane pump and the vanes are carbon. You could have some debris in there swirling around around. Take an amp draw on it too.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If you dont have one as a homeowner yet, a kill-a-watt is a great tool, grab one and toss it on the pump and itll show you how bad it's pulling like Jared mentioned. Works great on all appliances and stuff like that too.

Used mine to find out why my electric bill was always so damn high and started putting shit on power strips and turning them off while I was away.

killawatt-watt-meter-photo347.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
If you dont have one as a homeowner yet, a kill-a-watt is a great tool, grab one and toss it on the pump and itll show you how bad it's pulling like Jared mentioned. Works great on all appliances and stuff like that too.

Used mine to find out why my electric bill was always so damn high and started putting shit on power strips and turning them off while I was away.

killawatt-watt-meter-photo347.jpg
Got one of these last year when my roommate was claiming my electric room air conditioner was using up a ton of energy and costing 15+ a month...Ended up only being a couple bucks a month :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info