How much vacation time do you have

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Like the title says - post it up!

Our company just changed the policy which benefited a large percentage of the workforce and basically screwed over a small percentage, so I'm curious what the norm is

Our new policy is:
1-15 years 3 weeks
15-23 years 4 weeks
23+ years 5 weeks
No PTO, no sick time but if you call in sick you don't have to use a vacation day. It's only a problem if people start to abuse it.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I accrue 5 "flex days" which is similar to sick time throughout the year
and 2 weeks of vacation.

Now, this past July, the company implemented a 3rd week of vacation if it is an increment of 5 in terms of years of service.
So someone in their 5th, 10th, 15th years etc.. will get 3 weeks of vacation instead of 2.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Wait, so you get PTO and sick time from different buckets and your sick time doesn't take away from your PTO time?

I have 30 PTO days right now, that is vacation, sick, and personal.

I'm not calling vacation "PTO", since many companies have both

I have vacation days, that's it.

BUT...if you're sick, you just don't come in to work and you don't use a vacation day. Most people end up working from home and still getting what they need to done, nobody really abuses it, so it's not an issue.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I just changed jobs and started over with vacation time.

In the first year we get 6 days
1-5 years: 2 weeks
5-10 years: 3 weeks
10+ years: 4 weeks.

We don't get PTO or sick days either. A doctor's note may be needed to justify a sick day. Basically sick days are manager discretion. No big deal to take a day off when needed, just don't take advantage of it.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
wow they are straight up looking for lifers if vacation in important.

They're looking to appease the lifers (we have many) and be more competitive with the new hires.

The comparison between the new/old policies is below. What sucks is that for employees like myself that already worked 5 years at 2 weeks vacation, we don't get any retroactive benefits AND we no longer get 4 weeks at 10 years. There's a lot of pissed off people

Nothing rolls over either

Previous policy
1-5 years two weeks
5-10 years three weeks
10+ years four weeks

New policy
1-15 years three weeks
15-23 years four weeks
23+ years 5 weeks

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Nice, ours used to be:
2 weeks for people here 0-5 years
3 weeks for 5-10
4 weeks for 10-20
5 weeks for 20+.

Most people, unless fresh out of college, start with 3 weeks of vacation. Everyone had 2 personal days and 8 sick days.

Now we moved to a PTO program, so everyone gets the same time mentioned above based on your years here plus 10 days that would have been sick/personal.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Standard five weeks, plus two carryover from last year. I have so much it's practically unusable.

i don't take much time off so I have a decent amount that has rolled over...and I just received 3 weeks for my 5th year ( currently on my 8th ), so I have ALOT in the bank.

taking 2 weeks @ the beginning of May, NFG

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
this:
zpM6ptx.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info