Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Take this with some salt.

THE BATMAN BOMBSHELL: Ben Affleck May Drop Out!

When asked about directing the film, and the status of it, here's exactly what he said:

"That's the idea. But it’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great, I’m not going to do it."

Does this sound- at all- like the same guy who said this to Variety a couple of weeks ago?:

"We’re on the right track with that and everything is coming together. We’re still finishing up a script. I’m very excited."

I've been saying ever since the moment Affleck was cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman back in 2013 that this guy just doesn't seem like he needs or wants this. It was always a questionable career choice for him, since he had finally just fought his way back into the rarified air of "Hollywood Golden Boy" after his first run in the industry left him a Gigli-tainted laughing stock. Why would a guy who suddenly redeemed his career with films like The Town and Argo suddenly want to be Batman for the next four or five years?

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
[MENTION=8537]guspech750[/MENTION] has a point. I never thought about it until now. I've seen Batman on the big screen since Michael Keaton played his. He has changed a bunch of times, and I honestly don't give a shit. Let whoever play him. It's not as though Batman isn't still Batman.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This news is bigger beyond who is going to play Batman. DC is banking on Affleck being the savior of the shitshow that is their cinematic universe. If hes getting cold feet about this, that doesnt bode well at all.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
DC in general has been a steaming pile of shit.
I agree. DC tried to cram too much into a single movie, and even then the base movies to introduced the characters weren't all that good anyways. They can only blame themselves. They are trying to setup an entire universe with basically 2 movies. I can only HOPE Wonder Woman turns it around. But anything touched by Zack Snyder basically turns to shit.

I've only enjoyed 2 movies he's done. 300, and Watchmen. And on a good day I might include the 300 sequel.

Marvel took 5 movies just to round out the main cast and had the minor characters introduced in small roles before they did Avengers.

Then they took another 4 movies before Avengers 2 hit. Avengers 2 was really more of a setup movie to lead into Phase 3. And I will admit I didn't enjoy it as much. I was hoping James Spader's Ultron would be a better villain.

There are still another 4 movies before we get to Infinity War, which is 2 movies on its own. And there are 2 individual movies following that up.

Basically Marvel planned and built the entire franchise, and DC just created a hot mess.

Even when the MCU gives us a lack-luster movie like Dr Strange, thats okay. Because they've already had a ton of hits to counterbalance the odd man out.

AWDCD3

Addict
May 31, 2015
Carol Stream, Il
From the DC Extended Universe Facebook page.
cb074cb7ebb5358ddd8b172e769ddc97.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
They are wrong. That was a direct quote from Big Ben :rofl:

With these latest remarks, Affleck is doing something fairly radical. He's a high-profile star who's at the helm of a massive film. He's been officially attached to direct it since April 12, 2016. The film, according to trusted news outlets like Variety, is set to enter production this spring, and co-star Joe Manganiello has confirmed as much. For Affleck to suddenly state that his title as director is not "set," to say the film currently has "no script," and to- essentially- threaten to walk away if he can't make it up to his standards...is to essentially create a backdoor where he could eventually exit the project.

As The Hollywood Reporter, another trusted industry news outlet put it, Affleck is suddenly "hedging" on whether or not he's going to direct The Batman. This means he's now creating the impression that his involvement as director is no longer 100% and that it is now conditional on whether or not he can get the script where he wants it. What was once a sure thing that was going to enter production this spring is now suddenly up in the air, thanks to his remarks. Hence the assertion that Affleck could very well drop out if the stars don't align.

With him assuring fans for several months that he's not beholden to a release date, and Warner Bros. suddenly trying to fast-track the project, one only has to read the tea leaves to see the very realistic possibility that he could bail. The writing is on the wall and the stage has been set. Affleck's comments make it crystal clear that he's not going to make the movie at all if they try to force his hand. j

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:rofl: DC is such a trainwreck.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said in a statement. “Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

“Warner Bros. fully supports Ben Affleck’s decision and remains committed to working with him to bring a standalone Batman picture to life,” Warner Bros. Pictures added.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Likely means he doesnt feel confident in giving his best if hes forced to do both. And since he already committing to BEING Batman, that is going to be what he puts his all in to.

Likely also means all the rumors about everything in DC world being fucked, are true.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Now its rumored he wants out completely :rofl:

The Batman: Ben Affleck Reportedly Wants to Leave the Role

On the latest episode of Collider Movie Talk, host John Campea stated he has heard from three separate sources involved with Warner Bros. over the last four days that Affleck is looking to leave the role of Batman. Along with a warning to take what he’s heard with a grain of salt, Campea said:

“Ben Affleck, make no mistake, he wants out. He doesn’t want to be Batman anymore.”

Campea went on to say his sources tell him Affleck is in discussions with Warner Bros. to get out of his deal to continue playing the character, which includes The Batman, but if a deal cannot be reached in time, the solo film will be the last appearance he makes as the character.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info