iPhone battery recall

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, today I was using my phone as a GPS which is normally a more intensive use of the battery. I was in the GTA taking it to a storage place and had never been there before.

I had a good 50% battery life left, so I figured plenty.

Around 40% the phone warned me about low power, and wanted to enter low power mode. I declined thinking it was a bug.

1 minute later the phone shut off.

Phone acted like it had a dead battery, and I spent $35 on a stupid plugin adapter and cord JUST so I could find this place.

Only the phone would not take a charge, because apparently the accessory outlet is unhappy about being 28yrs old, and decided to fuck off.

So today I did a DFU restore of the phone, only to notice that the battery was dropping fast as soon as I unplugged it. I would lose roughly 5% per hour, doing NOTHING. Phone just sitting locked.

So I started using the magical Google thing.

Turns out there is a service bulletin for iPhone 6S's manufactured during certain months. Mine qualifies.

You can plug in your serial# here.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My work one is eligible. Sounds like Im gonna have to go through IT to see how they want me to handle it. If its just a battery replacement, then it shouldn't be a big deal, but I dont wanna get in a shit storm over trying to fix something.

My phone is sitting at 19% and havent charged it in a couple days. Havent used it either. :dunno:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
As a heads up since I literally just went through this on Friday for the exact same issue on my 6S

If your phone is out of normal warranty, they will replace the battery, and will not simply replace the phone. The stores apparently don't STOCK replacement parts, so after a week wait and waiting another 40 minutes in the store, I'm told they are going to order a new battery and ask to schedule yet another appointment....

I declined that and pointed out I also had a light bleed issue on my screen and asked for them to just replace the phone.

They still ended up charging me $80 for a total phone replacement out of warranty because of the screen issue, but there was no way I was going to deal with waiting another week and slogging through down town Naperville again. I figure $80 for a new phone was acceptable given light bleed kills sale/trade-in values.

I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment (which was a week wait in itself)

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Mine was a release day phone and had zero issues until like 3 or 4 weeks ago (conviently past the year old mark...)

Yeah. That's how this battery issue hit me. No indication of a problem except for yesterday. Now the battery life is crap.

I charged to 100% last night and with just some light browsing and about an hour of playing music it's down to 50%

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah. That's how this battery issue hit me. No indication of a problem except for yesterday. Now the battery life is crap.

I charged to 100% last night and with just some light browsing and about an hour of playing music it's down to 50%

Zero issues till iOS10..... I'm less than thrilled about this...

Great. So it could just be any time now. I'm hoping I get lucky and it makes it until the 7s drops.

If yours is still under the year mark warranty, call and see if they will just replace the phone (lie, say it's happened once or twice and then you saw the site with the serial entry)

If they want to replace the battery, then just let it ride until it starts happening IMO.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I got my 6s eight days ago and it did go from 30% to dead. Other than that the battery life has been really good though so I figured I'll just keep it charged and not let it go to 30%.

Only a work phone, so I don't depend on it for things like GPS.

If eligible the battery warranty is extended past the year mark if your work got it used or refurbed or something

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Zero issues till iOS10..... I'm less than thrilled about this...

If yours is still under the year mark warranty, call and see if they will just replace the phone (lie, say it's happened once or twice and then you saw the site with the serial entry)

If they want to replace the battery, then just let it ride until it starts happening IMO.

See. I was on ios9 as I refused to update. The last time I restored the phone I was able to manually download the old ios9 and force the restore.

This time all ios9 files are now unsigned and I didn't feel like sorting out how to fake the signing.

I may see if I can jailbreak to go back down. I hate the music app.

This time since ios9 wasn't signed I couldn't restore I had to upgrade at the same time. I still have my ios9 backup as I manually moved it out of the folder.

Today I am running the phone down till it shuts off as many times as I can in hopes of at least calibrating the charge indicator.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info