Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:gayy:

Illinois transportation secretary considering toll booths on Eisenhower Expressway | abc7chicago.com

Illinois Transportation Secretary Richard Blankenhorn told the Chicago City Club toll booths on the Eisenhower Expressway could be a way to help with the budget.

The idea remains in its initial stages, but Blankehnhorn told the club the toll booths would be a way to raise revenue and ease traffic congestion.

The state has discussed right-of-way access with the Chicago Transit Authority for toll booth options in the median.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
How can IL ALWAYS be fucking broke? Every year they take more money from us and every year they cry broke.
Who is the asshole stealing or spending all the money? I think we need Dave Ramsey to do the IL budget.

pic.jpg

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
How is that going to ease congestion? It's not like some of the other freeways where there are decent surface street alternatives. Not for anything longer than a short jaunt anyway.

Maybe they should look again into getting right side exits all along the route instead of having the left lane interchanges. Widening that same stretch wouldn't hurt either. Weren't both of these things proposed and the Oak Park area basically said no?

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
:bowrofl: how in the fuck will this ease traffic congestion? More people boycotting the highway?

Deleting every LEFT lane exit and merge on 290 would be a fantastic start for traffic flow. The asinine clusterfuck of wrong side exits/merges is a nightmare for traffic every single day.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
:bowrofl: how in the fuck will this ease traffic congestion? More people boycotting the highway?

Deleting every LEFT lane exit and merge on 290 would be a fantastic start for traffic flow. The asinine clusterfuck of wrong side exits/merges is a nightmare for traffic every single day.

IIRC, the people of Oak Park shot that down because a couple of buildings would have to be demolished. Supposedly historic buildings or something...? I don't know, this was years ago so my memory might be fudgy.

But yeah those left lane interchanges are asinine.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
IIRC, the people of Oak Park shot that down because a couple of buildings would have to be demolished. Supposedly historic buildings or something...? I don't know, this was years ago so my memory might be fudgy.

But yeah those left lane interchanges are asinine.

The Harlem and Austin exits. Yeah Oak Park seems to not have a problem with it. In theory left lane exits and merges work, but that requires cooperation from all drivers. Lack of driving skill is the real problem here. Its the assholes that stay in the left lane exit until the very last second, cut off someone in right lane, they brake and the chain reaction begins. Traffic always starts moving after the merges.

Here's an article I found on it, looks like IDOT proposed solutions, but never happened.

IDOT to discuss I-290 interchanges at Austin, Harlem in Oak Park | Articles | News | OakPark.com

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
290 moves fairly well out of the loop until you hit the Austin left exit.
Eh. Yeah outbound is a choke point because of the dumbfucks who try to sneak in front of everyone but traffic still is backed up pretty badly after those exits.

Inbound gets worse when it gains an extra lane after those exits...makes no sense.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
They definitely do disrupt flow, not only at peak times, but also at times where traffic is [supposed to be] moving nicely. I had to take the Ike from the city to 88 for years as my commute and there is something about a left lane merge and exit that turns common sense upside down. I believe they've also done studies that confirm this. Also, as mentioned, it's already been proposed that they move the exits to the right, multiple times, and when they proposed this, they had data to back up their concerns. I just want to see them replace the major intersections in Chicago with mega Euro-style roundabouts.... That would be fun to watch. Another idea that clearly works in theory but can be defeated by the American driver in no time.

However, the problem with the Ike is if you alleviate one bottleneck, you'll just be creating one downstream. No Mannheim backup inbound? The increased flow will find a bottleneck further down. No Austin backup outbound? The increased flow will probably find a bottleneck at the split (or I should say it'll make it worse). In the end, we're all fucked any way you slice it, it's just now we'll be paying for the privilege with few decent alternative routes.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
We're fucked anyway you slice it due to driver ignorance.

Still, they are a major contributor to congestion in that area. Traffic maps are red in the same area every day. People are accustomed to right lane exits and merges. It could be 11am and traffic is doing ~65, then you get that one idiot entering the left lane at 32 mph on their brakes. Its the same asshole cutting off the right lane at the last possible second on the brakes. I am a firm believer erratic braking is a major cause of traffic jams.

As much as I hate these exits, I also don't want to imagine the 3 year long clusterfuck of reconstructing these exits would bring as well :rofl:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
As much as I hate these exits, I also don't want to imagine the 3 year long clusterfuck of reconstructing these exits would bring as well :rofl:

And even if you survived those three years, and they not only move the exits to the right, but also reinstate the lost lane.... You'll just be sitting in the same shitty traffic at some point downstream that was fine with the upstream filter present but now all of a sudden is a complete cluster.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info