Whole house rehab of my new place

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
At the beginning of March, my aunt's house in hoffman estates became available for me to purchase. The house needed a ton of work, but the price was right, and I love the area. A pipe burst over the winter and because no one found the leak for quite a few days lots of the interior was ruined. So with lots of free labor from family, I spent all of March and April doing a full home rehab/remodel, while still working 45+ hours a week. 16 hour days with work /home work made for a rough 2 months(hence my extreme lack of posts lately), but the results and my new house are well worth it. I'll try to keep this thread

Outside is in decent shape, real brick front wall.
20160311_092515_zpsrka42c50.jpg

Inside was rough, anything not destroyed by the water was 40 years old:

Carpet that's probably 10 years older than I am on some worn out stairs :

20160311_113015_zpsgdtaivpy.jpg

Probably should be a wall here:

Awesome ½ bath on the main floor:

Pile of appliances in the back room. Bonus food in the unplugged fridge for 4+ months, was too gross to get a pic.

Kitchen was one of the few high points, nice counter tops and cabinets, but backsplash needed some fixing, new appliances were needed, and lots of small fixes:

Bedrooms upstairs were in ok condition, all needed paint and electrical work:

Partially finished bathroom remodel upstairs ( Notice that there isn't an outlet in this bathroom):

Too small and over wired fuse box

Humidifier that just leaked constantly :

This shitty wallpaper was everywhere :

Garage door needed some trim work
20160311_092538_zpsldgazhig.jpg
[/URL]

Now on to the work, many of these happened at the same time, so not nessisary in chronological order.

To start we needed to clear the crap out of the garage so we had a place to work.

Here is the pile of trash from the garage:

Garage now empty enough to do work in:

Garage door trim Done and pretty:
20160417_121221_zpsg794l2d9.jpeg
[/URL]

First supply run of about 100 trips to the hardware store.

Now the floor. My wife loves the porcelain tile with wood pattern, so we decided to do ½ the main floor in it. Since the tiles are rectangle, it looks funny to put them in a square grid. To make it look right, the seams needed to be offset so every third seam matched. I think it came out awesome.

Starting out we had to bolt boards down to the concrete to ensure that the tiles were perfectly straight.

This pic shows the pattern nicely :

Some other progress pics

Long runs in the kitchen show how important it was for us to have the tiles perfectly straight :

Then grout:

Now for electrical, first that fuse box needed to go (only project I outsourced)
Gone:

New one:

Old outlet to new tamper resistant outlet, x40

Here is the pile of outlets and switches I replaced:

Added a double gfci and ran conduit/power to it on the bathroom. This was my first time running conduit and my first electrical box install, ever.

Installed this fan in all 3 bedrooms, two required wiring/box installs, the other box was there.

I installed two of these fans on the main level

Used parts from a bunch of different stores to piece together this setup for the upstairs bathroom

Prepping to drywall :

Done

Paint:
The wall paper was terrible, it didn't want to come off, we probably spent 3 weeks on the wallpaper removal/wall repair

This is how much patching it took to get the walls level:

Another pic that shows the super annoying wallpaper.

Got all new appliances , did stainless, because I wanna pretend to be a baller.

I didn't remember to take progress pics for many things, repairing the stairs, floor repairs, new sliding patio door, concrete repairs, floor trim around the entire first floor, a thousand other little projects. So lets get to the good stuff, Pics after work was completed:

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
That's awesome of you, things like this is why I love these forums!

Exactly, good people on here

20160313_112022_zpsak7zjumc.jpg

what a piece of shit,original 60's ductwork..pm me an address..will ship u a new humidifier for free,trust me...maybe a UV light too..i get many samples/employee spiffs..great job btw

What a generous offer, you have PM. What is the uv for, Sterilization of the air/water?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info