Lawn tractor guru's in here please!

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
So I picked up a an older craftsman lawn tractor at an auction, so far I have replaced the battery, new spark plug, added fresh gas but I cannot get the thing to start, it will crank over but it won't run except when I use starting fluid it wants to run for a second or two, that tells me that I have spark correct? So I'm guessing it's a fuel issue, maybe a clogged filter? Carb needs cleaning?

Any suggestions appreciated.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
so. first, how much did you pay for that pile?

have you physically checked spark?
take the bowl of the carb off and see what inside.
maybe take the carb off and clean the mother fucker and blow all the passages out with a air gun, then try again.
wouldnt hurt to blow the lines from the tank to the carb out either

do you know how long it was sitting? was there gas still in it?

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
so. first, how much did you pay for that pile?

have you physically checked spark?
take the bowl of the carb off and see what inside.
maybe take the carb off and clean the mother fucker and blow all the passages out with a air gun, then try again.
wouldnt hurt to blow the lines from the tank to the carb out either

do you know how long it was sitting? was there gas still in it?

I paid 85 bucks for it lol

I have not physically checked spark which way would be best?

I will try cleaning the carb, it was sitting for a while but not sure how long, there was a little bit of gas in the tank

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
chances are the carb is clogged up. clean it out, drain the tank of the old shit gas, blow the lines out, and put a new filter on it.

check for spark: ignition on, screwdriver jammed in the spark plug wire and place shaft near a "ground" (like anything metal) and watch for spark jumping from the screwdriver to the surface near it while cranking the bastard over.

do that and get back to me with results.

(oh, have you physically looked at the plug? is it carboned up and gross looking?)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info