Adding a third car garage to existing house, estimate?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Anyone have a ballpark of how much it much it would cost to add a third car garage to an existing house? This is of course assuming that there is room and it is permitted by the city.

We're not finding any houses in Bartlett (in our price range) that have a third car garage and the house isn't a complete gut job. The market is slim pickings right now for what we want.

Our budget is about $50k higher than the current two garage door models that are done nicely. I'm assuming that it could be done for less than $50k.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Go further out west

We really like Bartlett and it is central to both our jobs and daycare. It is just that aren't any nice three car garages in Bartlett that go to the non-ghetto schools of Elgin. If we didn't mind sending our son to a school with a rating of 5 out of 10, we'd buy a house in west Bartlett.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
That's the only problem with those houses west of 59. The feed into Elgin.

We might just wait it out and see what comes up in the next month or so. But we were hoping to be moved in around the middle of summer. If not, we'll just wait it out. It's too bad we weren't in the market late last year or early this year. There were a few houses that would have been perfect and in our price range.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
A garage addition will need to be permitted. Here's the Bartlett contact info. They also provide a list of approved contractors.

I would talk to the building dept. to find out their setback and other construction rules and then have an approved contractor (or two or three) give you estimates of cost to you. You should easily be able to get one built for a lot less than $50K. The building dept. should also be able to tell you if a home's zoning allows an additional garage. Your taxes pay for these services, might as well use them.

Village of Bartlett : Municipal Code including Zoning & Building Codes

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
just so you know when you do call, 95% of chi-burb's building departments piss in their cheerios every morning to make sure they are pissed off enough for the day.

I thought my concrete vendor was going to kill the village code enforcement guy. He came and inspected the frame work for the concrete pad for my shed and made him move it like one inch in towards the house because he was at like 4'11" instead of 5'0" for the setback... :roflpicard:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
permits?? aren't those like condoms?? Who the fuck uses either :s00ls:

My buddy was about 3/4 of the way done with a house when one of the neighbors got ticked off with him and called the village because he wasn't using permits. Had to re-open everything for the guy to see it and then get it all to pass and pay a fine......

I personally hate getting them because I usually over-engineer anything I build, but sometimes you gotta go with it.

Most villages now require one for a damn hot water heater though, which is crazy to me. I definitely wouldn't be getting one for that.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
permits?? aren't those like condoms?? Who the fuck uses either :s00ls:

If you don't get permits, it's going to be hard for buyers to finance your home because insurance companies do not like to or won't insure non permitted homes. Their argument is they have no idea how the non permitted areas were constructed.

To get a non permitted home financed, the choices may come down to:

1. Tearing down the non permitted areas.

2. Getting permits after the fact which can be expensive and difficult.

3. Finding a buyer who doesn't care and selling for cash.

Permits are an expensive pain but you will thank yourself when you sell the home.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
If you don't get permits, it's going to be hard for buyers to finance your home because insurance companies do not like to or won't insure non permitted homes. Their argument is they have no idea how the non permitted areas were constructed.

To get a non permitted home financed, the choices may come down to:

1. Tearing down the non permitted areas.

2. Getting permits after the fact which can be expensive and difficult.

3. Finding a buyer who doesn't care and selling for cash.

Permits are an expensive pain but you will thank yourself when you sell the home.

Stupid question, but how will an insurance company know if there was a project that was done outside of a permit?

I am 99.9 sure the construction done at my house pre- my residence was done no permit and I had no issues buying. (included an addition)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info