Legit question - Does going to a chiropractor actually work?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ive been having some back issues for a month or so and while my primary care says I'm fine (mobility wise and feeling around, etc), I'm still having some issues with my back. I dunno if its the way I'm sleeping, my bed, how I sit at work, home, whatever.

My main question is this...does going to a chiropractor truly do anything? I've always been under the impression that you mostly end up spending a ton of money for very little....and I've also heard its effectiveness lies in the quality of the chiro and not the quality of chiro itself.

Side note, my primary did say that a lot of these aches and whatnot could be related to anxiety, something I most definitely have been battling on and off for a few months now. So it could be more psychological than reality, who knows.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
My lower back, amongst other areas, ached every day for years. I've been hard on my body from racing Moto cross, down hill skiing and rolling a couple cars. My point, this lubricates my body. It's been 5 years now, lower back don't ache anymore , maybe it could work for you.
Amazon

2b59d71c503b21c11c15c754ecb229e4.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Some people love their chiropractor, but you won't see them all that highly recommended from a medical treatment standpoint. The best thing you can do for most musculoskeletal issues is physical therapy. Ask your doctor for a referral to PT and most insurance covers it without any out of pocket cost. A good therapist will do a full evaluation and be able to give you exercises and or stretches to fix the issue.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
Mook-
I NEVER believed in chiropractics.. Penn and teller Bullshit pretty much confirmed my beliefs...

Then.... One day my dog was in pain, not walking.. Couldn't get up stairs.... (He's a wiener dog) well, my wife who does believe in chiropractics took him to her guy..
Well, I'm upstairs laying on our bed relaxing and I hear the garage door open so I know they're home.. Next thing I know here comes Pete, up the stairs onto our bed, he was moving slow but he was moving..
over the course of the day he began to act like himself jumping up on couches and running around like a maniac..

Instantly I became a believer, you can't placebo a dog.. Ya know?

Anyways... Long story, but I hope it helps..

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
I have had back issues for years. A good chiro will temporary help with minor conditions and does give pain relief. But like everyone has said keeping in shape, diet and exercise are best.

Lately I have been battling what I am suspecting to be bulging discs,even the chiropractor I would drive over an hour to see ( going on and off for many year) because he is the only one that seems to be able to get me adjusted right has brought no long lasting relief.

Anti inflammatory helps and I have had decent luck with the Icy Hot Tens therapy when I can't be on Vicodin.

Short
A good one can help
Take better care of yourself
Ibuprofen and Icy Hot

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Yes.

I threw my back out years ago to the point I couldn't walk on my own for a month. Almost went into shock because of the pain. Out of work for 3. Working my core, drinking more water, the correct stretches, diet and excerise to never feel that pain agsin. There's a great one by my house but I've been seeing him less and less because of the above. Wish I knew a guy by you! Good luck, I know it sucks.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I had some pretty bad lower back pain many years ago and started going to the chiropractor. It for sure helped ease it short term but really stretching and working my core muscles is what has kept it feeling great. I probably haven't been in 4ish years but continue to stretch and work out core muscles.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
some are more science and medical based some seem a lot more bullshit based ("attenuations of nerves causing weak signals and problems x, y, and z") - i wouldn't fault you for trying it out if nothing else is working but keep in mind there is a lot of horse shittery.

also i think it is a field where often your treatment plan is... whatever your insurance can afford. oh they'll pay for 20 sessions in a calendar year? well that is exactly my prescription to fix your problem! then come back next year! of course i'm not a quack!

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Don't listen to the haters. Chiropractic therapy works wonders, but it depends on your condition. If you suffer from headaches, getting your neck adjusted helps a lot. My wife gets migraines, and it helps her immensely. I personally have some very serious back problems, and for me going to the chiro really only helps for pain management. My issues need to be corrected with back surgery and rods.

But yes it can help. Don't break your bank tho with copays if you have to. Chiro work is considered luxury treatment usually, and its hard for people to justify going 2-3 times a week if they have to pay copays every visit.

Ask about a hardship waiver. They will basically have you sign a paper that says you need to be there for treatment, but you can't afford the copays. They will bill your insurance for what they can get/what you are covered for, then they will write off the rest. Its very common for this to happen. My wife was an office manager and two different chiro practices for 5 years. And I personally have been going consistently since I was 15. So thats 21 years now...wow. Anyway, check them out. Don't be scared of the neck adjustment. Its glorious. And opt out for the therapy if you can, and just get the adjustment.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yes it does. I am currently going now. I have an appointment later today. You should find one and see how the first appointment goes. They should take x rays and go over your spine alignment with you depending on your pain or type of discomfort.

In my case I do not have the "S" shape in my back that you should see when looking at the spine from the side. He is working to correct it back into place.

Also it's not a doctor that you can just go to twice and your better and I think that's where people get frustrated.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I do not think it has anything to do with hating.

Going to the chiropractor is not addressing the issue, it's a bandaid fix for an underlying problem. Like I have said along with others, if he starts working out and put some focus on his core it will correct his back issues. Not only that, but it is way cheaper than a chiro and improves stress levels/self confidence/energy levels/etc......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info