Replacing my garage door opener soon. Any tips?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
It's time to replace my screw drive garage door opener (which is almost old enough to vote) and I'm looking for a little feedback/advice/help. My current opener shakes the whole house and I can hear/feel the door operating when I'm taking a shower while the furnace is running on the other side of the wall, yes it's that noisy!

The facts;
I'll be doing the install.
I'm not replacing the shaft or spring, just the motor and track.
Side/shaft mount is out due to cost and fitment issues (bummer).
Going to be belt drive for quieter operation (bedroom directly above)
Must be Homelink compatible.
Would be nice if it had the WiFi capability so I could make sure the door is closed.
I'm not dropping a small fortune on it, $250 is my absolute limit.
Must have a keypad for outside.

The questions;
What hp do I need? It's a standard 2 car door with stick in fiberglass insulation. I imagine a 1/2 hp would suffice?
Anyone have a brand recommendation over another? I have my eye on the Chamberlain 1/2 HP Whisper Drive but I can easily be talked out of it.
http://www.menards.com/main/doors-w...426349871-c-12367.htm?tid=7687794257722596571

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I am quite happy with my belt drive, 3/4 hp craftsman. It is very quiet, very smooth...

On sale for $200 and meets all of your requirements I believe.

Craftsman.com

spin_prod_1004955512

PS: Chamberlain also manufactures Craftsman-branded garage door openers sold at Sears stores as well as openers for the Raynor Garage Door Company. Craftsman and LiftMaster garage door openers are essentially Chamberlain models with casing suited to the different brands.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Bought this one from Home Depot and had ThirdgenTa from the forums here install it since he does it all the time.... Just was worth it versus the hours it would've taken me.

Chamberlain 1-1/4 HPS Smartphone-Controlled Wi-Fi Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and Ultra-Quiet Operation-HD950WF - The Home Depot

100% happy with the purchase. Works great, battery backup, really quiet, all the WiFi stuff is included, etc....

I looked at this one and wanted it because more PAH, but had sears gift cards so went that route.

And the extra pah was pointless for my fiberglass insulated door.

But we are guy cars so if the wife wasn't involved I would have had that one.......

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I looked at this one and wanted it because more PAH, but had sears gift cards so went that route.

And the extra pah was pointless for my fiberglass insulated door.

But we are guy cars so if the wife wasn't involved I would have had that one.......

My garage is a single door so I definitely didn't need the power either but it's always nice to have. HAHA

Honestly I went with this one because after I priced out the cheaper HP model and started adding the WiFi hubs and stuff it came right back to this price range so why not get the one that has it all included.

Plus the keypad shows me the time and temp. LMAO

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
My garage is a single door so I definitely didn't need the power either but it's always nice to have. HAHA

Honestly I went with this one because after I priced out the cheaper HP model and started adding the WiFi hubs and stuff it came right back to this price range so why not get the one that has it all included.

Plus the keypad shows me the time and temp. LMAO

Mine does that too. lolol. #firstworldproblems

I actually love the auto close feature and notifications. Since I have a heated garage leaving the door open would be bad news.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Mine does that too. lolol. #firstworldproblems

I actually love the auto close feature and notifications. Since I have a heated garage leaving the door open would be bad news.

I like it because my retired father likes to go to my house during the day to play with my dogs, so it lets me know if he happened to leave the door open and I can see when the last time it was closed so I know when he was there...

I had some old POS Genie screw drive on there that crapped out and can't describe how much nicer and quieter this model is...

Bought this one from Home Depot and had ThirdgenTa from the forums here install it since he does it all the time.... Just was worth it versus the hours it would've taken me.

Chamberlain 1-1/4 HPS Smartphone-Controlled Wi-Fi Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and Ultra-Quiet Operation-HD950WF - The Home Depot

100% happy with the purchase. Works great, battery backup, really quiet, powerful (1.25 HPS), all the WiFi stuff is included (most openers charge extra), etc....

I went with the same one. Install took about 3.5 hours with just me doing it. It would have gone a lot faster with a second set of hands.

Instructions were clear and they provide videos for everything on their site. Love it. Quiet, fast, and has all the extra crap that you normally have to buy, like the external keypad. And I dig the smart app that notifies you when the garage opens or closes, etc. Nice set up.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I went with the same one. Install took about 3.5 hours with just me doing it. It would have gone a lot faster with a second set of hands.

Instructions were clear and they provide videos for everything on their site. Love it. Quiet, fast, and has all the extra crap that you normally have to buy, like the external keypad. And I dig the smart app that notifies you when the garage opens or closes, etc. Nice set up.

Jeez, now you're stalking me on here and on Facebook ?!?!? :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info