Why Is Premium Gas So Expensive?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
https://www.cars.com/articles/why-is-premium-gas-so-expensive-1420683350396/

img-213503840-1454452472495.jpg

CARS.COM — Drivers nationwide found collective relief as gas prices hit a seven-year low in January, but those with luxury or high-performance cars may have scratched their heads at one nagging detail: What the heck was going on with premium gas prices?

Related: More Fuel-Efficiency News

Regular gas averaged just $1.86 per gallon on Jan. 25 — a price we haven't seen since January 2009, according to the Energy Information Administration. Premium gas, however, averaged $2.34 per gallon. That's a whopping 48 cents more. Fill that luxury SUV with 18 gallons a few times a month, and the difference alone will cost you $311 this year.

It hasn't always been this way. The last time regular unleaded gas was this cheap — January 2009 — a gallon of premium averaged just 23 cents per gallon more. That held true until late 2012, when premium skyrocketed.

In December 2014 when regular unleaded plunged below $3 a gallon for the first time in four years, premium stayed around 40 cents more. As regular gas tumbled toward $2 in 2015, the upcharge for premium didn't decrease. It grew.

From a percentage standpoint, that drove the upcharge for premium gas to an all-time high. As of Jan. 25, a gallon of premium cost 25.8 percent more than regular. That's the highest percentage difference in more than 21 years of EIA records.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/why-is-premium-gas-so-expensive-1420683350396/#I6mfLmRx7G6xX3U0.99

img-635156340-1454451470707.jpg

Why? Experts have a few reasons.
Premium Gas Faces Less Competition

"As prices are falling, you traditionally tend to see prices fall at a slower rate [for premium] than regular gasoline prices, and that's in part because of just the physical turnover," said Avery Ash, director of federal relations at AAA. By contrast, regular gasoline is "highly competitive, and the stocks on hand move over quickly."

John Eichberger, executive director at the Fuels Institute, agrees.

"It wasn't so much premium became more expensive — it's just that regular became cheaper," said Eichberger, whose group functions as a policy institute for the National Association of Convenience Stores. "I've got 80 percent of my volume — 83 percent of my volume — is regular unleaded, so I need to be viscous on price. My premium customer, he doesn't really take time to shop around, so I can possibly make up some of my lost margins."

Eichberger says some of this happens at the production level, too, where premium fuel has somewhat higher margins. But the main push happens at gas stations.
Premium Gas Is Harder to Make Cheaply

The difference between the cheap stuff and premium, as you can see on any gas pump, is octane.

"The refiners will compensate for the octane in ethanol, so your regular gasoline, when it comes out of a refinery, will be something like 84 [or] 85 octane," said Mason Hamilton, a petroleum analyst at EIA. Spike it with ethanol, which is higher in octane, and you're up to 87-octane regular unleaded gas. After roughly doubling its ethanol content from 2007 to 2012, gasoline has stabilized since then at around 10 percent ethanol.

Why is premium gas more difficult to produce? Hamilton suspects it's because certain crude blends, particularly the shale oil that's gained popularity in recent years, have lower octane to begin with.

There are other ways to boost octane. Alkylate is a prized octane-booster that Hamilton calls a "magic elixir," but it's expensive.
More People Are Buying It

Premium gas usage is historically low, but it's made a recent comeback. With some notable exceptions, premium gas is chiefly the domain of luxury models and high-performance sports cars, and it could be Americans' love of luxury that's led to the increase. Luxury brands accounted for just 13.3 percent of all auto sales in 2015, according to Automotive News. But luxury-brand sales are up 43.4 percent since 2011, outpacing the overall industry over the same period.

Hamilton also suspects that cheaper gas is enticing some shoppers to splurge on a tank of premium, even though it's totally unnecessary.

"One of the things that commonly happens when the price of gasoline goes down is that more people say, why not, I'll put in premium," he said. "The premium price now is much lower than I used to pay for regular, so people say, sure, why not."

The increase is noticeable. From April through November 2015, premium gas accounted for more than 11 percent of U.S. gasoline supply. (November is the latest month of EIA data.) It hasn't been that high in more than a decade.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/why-is-premium-gas-so-expensive-1420683350396/#I6mfLmRx7G6xX3U0.99

img1358142982-1454451472235.jpg

Combine the increased demand with lower supply, and you get today's price volatility, said Jeff Lenard, vice president of strategic industry initiatives at NACS.
What's Ahead

Cautioning that the increase in premium gas is a "complex subject that we're just scratching the surface of right now," Hamilton said he thinks production constraints and higher demand are responsible for the spike in premium gas prices.

Higher prices for premium could stick around, however.

"Retailers without sufficient underground storage space may decide to replace their supply of premium with diesel fuel — or another fuel like ethanol," Lenard wrote in an email. "This will continue to put pressure on premium over the coming years."

Still, there's a possibility they won't.

Ethanol proponents point out that many more automakers now approve 15 percent ethanol gasoline, or E15, in their 2016 cars, which could signal a new era of higher ethanol as a cheap way to boost octane. That could bring some relief to premium gas prices.

Of course, you'd pay for it in reduced gas mileage. But that's a whole other topic.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The disparity in premium vs. regular is making it harder to justify a fun turbo DD
It's never been something that's crossed my mind with buying a vehicle but the dramatic difference now actually had me looking for something that could use regular 85. Before it was like a $2 difference tops but now it's nearly .75 a gallon difference.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
It's never been something that's crossed my mind with buying a vehicle but the dramatic difference now actually had me looking for something that could use regular 85. Before it was like a $2 difference tops but now it's nearly .75 a gallon difference.

Exactly...when it was a $.20 or $.30 difference, NBD...but now...it's getting too outrageous

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
with those fun turbo dd's you're only looking at an extra couple bucks per fill up...if that's going to stop you from buying it then...:dunno:

I will say that it is silly how much more expensive premium has gotten over regular. Won't stop me from using it though. I do typically run 87 in the winter and have no issues whatsoever. This year I've ran 93 all year because it's been so cheap.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
with those fun turbo dd's you're only looking at an extra couple bucks per fill up...if that's going to stop you from buying it then...:dunno:

I will say that it is silly how much more expensive premium has gotten over regular. Won't stop me from using it though. I do typically run 87 in the winter and have no issues whatsoever. This year I've ran 93 all year because it's been so cheap.

When it was $.20-.30/gallon, yeah it was only a few bucks at most. But now, with it being nearly $.75, it's over $10 per fill up...and with regular being 1.60, that's 50% increase per tank

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
When it was $.20-.30/gallon, yeah it was only a few bucks at most. But now, with it being nearly $.75, it's over $10 per fill up...and with regular being 1.60, that's 50% increase per tank

Agreed.

If you're filling up once a week, then your yearly average is increasing somewhere around 500-700 bucks depending on the size of your tank. That's a sizable increase in gas costs just for premium...

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
If I did my math right...I spend about $200/year more than regular...that's not going to break my bank with how much fun I have in the car.

I'm basing that off of:
11 gal fill up (12 gal tank, I put 9-11 in per fill up)
.70 more per gallon
26 fill ups per year. (can go longer if I don't drive on weekends)

Edit: I'm agreeing that it's the increase is stupid, as I remember when it was only .30 more for premium.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
You'd have to do side-by-side comparisons...generally 87 vs 93 gets 5-8% worse mileage (my experience with a few different cars, I've seen as high as 10%)...say 30 MPG @ 12 gallons = 360 miles @ $2.24/gallon = $.074 per mile. Say 8% loss in economy or about 27.6 MPG @ 12 gallons = 331.2 miles @ $1.44/gallon = $.052 per mile. So at this point in time, yes, taking the hit in mileage may be better off, if mileage was your only worry.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Don't buy a car that requires premium if you are gonna bitch about 5-10$ difference? :rofl:

Even with the increase in price compared to regular...I'm still only paying $25-30 to fill up compared to $45-50 a year or two ago.

We're complaining about pennies when we should focus on the fact that new car prices have increased dramatically over the last couple years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info