Looking for a budget desktop computer.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I have an eMachines from 2007 that does OK.

My main uses are iTunes, web surfing and torrenting. S'bout it.

Looking to spend <$250, since I don't use it often enough to justify something baller. I have personally never spent more than $250 on a computer. My average is about 6-8 years between the two I've had.

What do you guys suggest?

I want whatever it is to have windows operating system as that's what I'm used to, don't need anything else.

Small footprint would be cool.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
It's a 300-GB hard drive that has 14-GB for restore, then it splits the rest into 2 142-GB partitions (C and D drives) for a total storage of 284GB. Not sure why the factory image comes that way. It has an SD card slot if you want more storage.

It's not a screamer, but it has some interesting features for a small computer such as built in wireless and an HDMI port so you could run it into a TV.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Whatever you do, make budget allowances for an SSD. Daily tasks like email, web, and office apps don't really need much CPU at all. But what they do like is fast ram, and faster HD access. It makes them feel like the big boys in terms of GUI responsiveness.

The intel Atom line of CPU's is junk. I've got a laptop that uses it, a Dell 2120. It can barely render PDF vector graphics. When I look at RC Car manuals with their exploded diagrams on it its incredibly slow. Even with a 128GB SSD installed.

I'd be looking at i3 based systems. The i3's should provide a solid 5-7 years of computing use. The ATOM's and other SFF Low power cpu's will give you maybe 2-3 years before they start having issues playing future video codecs on Youtube and the like.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info